Bills Coaching Intern Callie Brownson: Third Female Coach for Bills

Gugny

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I've never seen you discuss other assistant coaches' genitalia.  Why is this coach different?

I think she's different because she has different genitalia (at least I'm assuming that is the case).  Isn't that why the Bills are crowing about her hiring?  Because that makes them so progressive and "woke" to have hired someone who has female genitalia?

Let's see how much this so-called diversity that doesn't really look like diversity is really worth.  That will be measured in wins and losses, unless you think football is about something else.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

Oh, it's a kind of diversity all right, but what is the point being made?  That women can coach in the NFL as long as they look like a man?  If you have to have male characteristics to coach, is that really diversity?

I mean...I don't think diversity was the goal here anyway. The Bills want to show they are willing to hire the BEST candidate for the job and if that happens to be a woman then so be it. It's a very uncommon move so attention is being brought to it in an effort to maybe open up the minds of other GMs.

I see nothing wrong with any of it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, StHustle said:

I mean...I don't think diversity was the goal here anyway. The Bills want to show they are willing to hire the BEST candidate for the job and if that happens to be a woman then so be it. It's a very uncommon move so attention is being brought to it in an effort to maybe open up the minds of other GMs.

I see nothing wrong with any of it.

Read the article over at buffalobills.com.  If diversity wasn't the goal, it sure gets a lot of mention in the article.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

The Bills are taking a lot of credit for this on buffalobills.com. - talking about how "successful" this hiring is.  This, from the only NFL team never to win 10 games in the last 20 seasons!  I don't think they should be talking about any of their hiring being "successful" until they start winning.  I love the Bills, but they have been pointedly unsuccessful since the 90's.

Show me that the team does better by "diversity based" hiring.  If that can't be shown, it's just a marketing ploy, and marketing ploys aren't that interesting to people who watch football for the football.

p.s. It's kind of beside the point, but when I saw her on the sidelines I had no idea she was a woman, so I'm not sure what diversity point is being made here.

You are assuming that its a diversity based hiring without considering the possibility that she was flat out better than the other candidates for the position.  Why? The story linked to by the OP shows that she has plenty of coaching experience, has done well at every position she held and impressed the Bills' coaching staff while working as a coaching intern during training camp. 

4 minutes ago, Mickey said:

You are assuming that its a diversity based hiring without considering the possibility that she was flat out better than the other candidates for the position.  Why? The story linked to by the OP shows that she has plenty of coaching experience, has done well at every position she held and impressed the Bills' coaching staff while working as a coaching intern during training camp. 

Read this article - written by Chris Brown (Bills staff):  https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-coaching-intern-callie-brownson-hoping-to-reinforce-female-hiring-trend

The very first sentence tells you this was about diversity.

Edited by Thurman Kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

Read the article over at buffalobills.com.  If diversity wasn't the goal, it sure gets a lot of mention in the article.

The same article goes into depth regarding her experiences as a player and coach, detailing her success at every level so far including D-1 college football. There are ten paragraphs in the story and only one mentions diversity. All the rest are about her relevant experience, references, etc. I don't imagine that the hiring of an intern would gather much attention at all but the fact that she is a woman and that it is pretty rare to have female coaches in the NFL makes that the most marketable angle of the story so the PR department would be idiots if they didn't mention it, even feature it. I am surprised it was only mentioned in the opener.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

She's a coaching intern. She will have zero effect on wins and losses. I couldn't care less about diversity hiring but good for her. 

If coaching interns don't contribute to the success (or lack thereof) of the team, then why do the Bills even employ them?  And why take so much credit for doing so?  Isn't football about winning and losing?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

Read this article - written by Chris Brown (Bills staff):  https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-coaching-intern-callie-brownson-hoping-to-reinforce-female-hiring-trend

Did you not read any of the sentences after that? How about the 9 paragraphs after that detailing her experience, prior success, references, etc.? ADHD - get treatment, there is hope!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

or maybe their just trying to get the best press for something they would do anyway.

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

The same article goes into depth regarding her experiences as a player and coach, detailing her success at every level so far including D-1 college football. There are ten paragraphs in the story and only one mentions diversity. All the rest are about her relevant experience, references, etc. I don't imagine that the hiring of an intern would gather much attention at all but the fact that she is a woman and that it is pretty rare to have female coaches in the NFL makes that the most marketable angle of the story so the PR department would be idiots if they didn't mention it, even feature it. I am surprised it was only mentioned in the opener.

When the headline and first sentence of an article talk about diversity, the article is promoting diversity.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

or maybe their just trying to get the best press for something they would do anyway.

Exactly. Besides, its a boring nothing kind of story, the only noteworthy factoid in it is that the new hire is female and that is still a rarity in the NFL. So of course its in the lead paragraph. 

3 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I think you're right.  This is all about getting press and marketing.  However, I view this kind of thing to be an attempt to distract fans from the lackluster performance of management.  It's similar to when municipal politicians want to talk about human rights issues when they can't manage to get the garbage picked up or keep the roads paved.

Edited by Thurman Kelly

1 minute ago, Thurman Kelly said:

I think you're right.  This is all about getting press and marketing.  However, I view this kind of thing to be an attempt to distract fans from the lackluster performance of management.

you mean the management that had one of the best drafts in Bills history and is 3-0 so far in the preseason?

From what are they distracting us?

5 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

When the headline and first sentence of an article talk about diversity, the article is promoting diversity.

The only noteworthy issue here is that she is a woman so of course its in the lead. Besides, does promoting diversity preclude her being the most qualified? Would you have  celebrated this as an excellent non-diversity hire (whatever that is) if the article only covered all those qualifications you keep ignoring? My bet is you still would have responded with some version of "...they only hired her because she is a woman..."

Edited by Mickey

Just now, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

you mean the management that had one of the best drafts in Bills history and is 3-0 so far in the preseason?

From what are they distracting us?

I want the Bills to succeed, but surely you don't think the Bills pre-season record has anything to do with that?  The 0-16 Lions were 4-0 in pre-season!

I think management is trying to distract us from the prospect of another 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 no-playoff season of mediocrity.