2019 Head Coach Firings

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

How is McD’s job safe but Lynn is someone that could get fired?

He’s had two winning seasons with his last one being a 12 win playoff team. 

Anyone 'could' get fired for all manner of reasons. With Lynn its probably unlikely I agree with you

What you say is true.

Lynn has had 2 winning seasons unlike McD. But only made the playoffs once. Same as McD as far as that goes. Compare what they have both had to work with. If you accept that Lynn inherited a HOF QB had the most dominant pass rushing duo in the NFL, a stacked receiving corps a solid run game and drafted Derwin James, shouldn't expectations be a little higher for him?

It is interesting to me that the popular perception is that he's done so much better than McD.

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

Anyone 'could' get fired for all manner of reasons. With Lynn its probably unlikely I agree with you

What you say is true.

Lynn has had 2 winning seasons unlike McD. But only made the playoffs once. Same as McD as far as that goes. Compare what they have both had to work with. If you accept that Lynn inherited a HOF QB had the most dominant pass rushing duo in the NFL, a stacked receiving corps a solid run game and drafted Derwin James, shouldn't expectations be a little higher for him?

It is interesting to me that the popular perception is that he's done so much better than McD.

That's because he has.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

What reason are you referring to?

Fwiw, Mike McCoy came into a team that had Phillip Rivers...

I stated it...right in the post you quoted. Lynn came into a team ready to compete. If he was on the hotseat in year 3 to compete for a Superbowl, that would be easy to understand. Perhaps, not wise and likely not the case, but wouldn't be crazy if he has a bad year.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

That's because he has.

You're entitled to that opinion of course 

He's been to the playoffs the same number of times as McD  His W/L is better. His team has looked complete on the field because he inherited a really good roster  Do you see the distinction? Chargers haven't won more Superbowls, been in more Superbowls, won more division championships, or been in more division championships than the Bills. They've looked better, won one extra playoff game and been a popular pick. 

Edited by Seoulofstone

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Thanks - I totally forgot about Pat Shurmur - he's pitiful.  I would hate myself if Jauron 2.0 were the coach of my team.  

Kliff Kingsbury is not going anywhere.  They'll be better this year if not for the fact that they probably couldn't be worse

I watched the Cards the other night. I know it was pre-season but I think they might actually be worse. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I stated it...right in the post you quoted. Lynn came into a team ready to compete. If he was on the hotseat in year 3 to compete for a Superbowl, that would be easy to understand. Perhaps, not wise and likely not the case, but wouldn't be crazy if he has a bad year.

I think it’s crazy. I’d give McD and Lynn the same odds of getting fired.

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I specifically stated that I don't think it's likely...multiple times. Sorry if that confused you. 

Perhaps you missed it but my responses are directed at those who think Lynn gets fired this year. You’re playing devils advocate even though it sounds like you agree with me..

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

You're entitled to that opinion of course  He's been to the playoffs the same number of times as McD  His W/L is better. His team has looked complete on the field because he inherited a really good roster  Do you see the distinction?

Where was this "really good roster"?  The Chargers were 5-11 the year before Lynn took over.  The team is 21-11 under Lynn.  McDermott took over a .500 operation and has gone 15-17, with a ton of blowouts losses, including two to Lynn's Chargers.  It doesn't mean McDermott won't be successful, but it's downright foolish to suggest that he's done as well as Lynn in his first two years.  Frankly, it's something only a homer would say.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I watched the Cards the other night. I know it was pre-season but I think they might actually be worse. 

...agree GB....could be a 40 YARD dumspter fire....they've ben nothing since Warner....how Fitzgerald has remained loyal is a head scratcher......probably should hire Grigson......

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Where was this "really good roster"?  The Chargers were 5-11 the year before Lynn took over.  The team is 21-11 under Lynn.  McDermott took over a .500 operation and has gone 15-17, with a ton of blowouts losses, including two to Lynn's Chargers.  It doesn't mean McDermott won't be successful, but it's downright foolish to suggest that he's done as well as Lynn in his first two years.  Frankly, it's something only a homer would say.  

They went 5-11 with that roster and rightly their HC got fired  They had been underachievers for a long time. Question is, if they with a really good roster win one playoff game in two years does that mean Lynn is doing an awesome job? Or merely that he did better than his predecessor?

Under Lynn their team looks good and has improved their record. But ultimately they've done nothing in the playoffs. They haven't won a Superbowl. Do you think that this is a satisfactory outcome to their fans?

I seem to remember them being blown out by the Pats too 

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

They went 5-11 with that roster and rightly their HC got fired  They had been underachievers for a long time. Question is, if they with a really good roster win one playoff game in two years does that mean Lynn is doing an awesome job? Or merely that he did better than his predecessor?

Under Lynn their team looks good and has improved their record. But ultimately they've done nothing in the playoffs. They haven't won a Superbowl. Do you think that this is a satisfactory outcome to their fans?

I seem to remember them being blown out by the Pats too 

So Lynn hasn't done as well as McDermott because he "only" won one playoff game and hasn't won a Super Bowl?  And got blown out by the Pats?  Do you hear yourself?  How may playoff games has McDermott won?  He's been blown out by the Pats four times.   

I never said Lynn has done an "awesome job"--although if someone were to say that, it' wouldn't be outrageous--but to this point in his career, Lynn has inarguably done better than McDermott has.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

So Lynn hasn't done as well as McDermott because he "only" won one playoff game and hasn't won a Super Bowl?  And got blown out by the Pats?  Do you hear yourself?  How may playoff games has McDermott won?  He's been blown out by the Pats four times.   

I never said Lynn has done an "awesome job"--although if someone were to say that, it' wouldn't be outrageous--but to this point in his career, Lynn has inarguably done better than McDermott has.   

It just depends where you're standing. In the end only one team wins the SB. Everyone else is a loser. I'm not arguing that the box scores don't look better for Lynn. I'm saying that what they had to work with was very different so it is an uneven comparison. 

Yes the Bills got blown out multiple times by the Pats, moreso obviously because they're in the same division. The Bills are building an offensive identity from scratch. Once a team gets a lead on them McD had no choice but to try and get back in the game and without weapons this leads to blowouts by playing into opponents hands. Would you advocate them just closing up shop and taking a narrow uncontested loss? Is that better?

However you stack it the final outcome has been the same. Both teams lost and neither came close. They've both made the playoffs once but LAC won one more playoff game. The difference is one team was expected to contend and the other was predicted to be among the worst in the league.

What irks me about this comparison is that it's easy to praise a good team. It's like when you ask people what team they support in any sport and more often than not they tell you the perennial winners or contenders  They have no attachment to that team except that they want to be associated with their success. 

I like Lynn. He's brought a long awaited improvement in that franchise. But he hasn't even won the division yet. And time is ticking on their window...