2019 Head Coach Firings

As we get ready for the season, it's interesting to look ahead and think of the teams that will likely be firing their head coaches at (or before) the end of the year.  

First off, it's worth noting the stability and relative competence that we currently enjoy at the position.  Barring a complete disaster of a season, it's safe to say that Sean McDermott will not be part of this group.

Doug Marrone

Not difficult to envision our old pal St. Doug being high on this list.  I think the Jags are going to be a tire fire this year, and it appears that he's worn out his welcome within the locker room.  Since he's definitely not an innovator, or someone prone to self-examination of his own flaws, it's likely to be a year of him getting angrier and surlier, and his players tuning him out more and more

Dan Quinn

I don't think the Falcons have recovered from the SB loss 2 years ago, and the talent level of this team hasn't kept up.  I think they're a couple major injuries away from a very rough season, especially in an improved division.

Ron Rivera

Similar comment to the one above.  Cam Newton is on the downside of his career, and the owner's itching to put his stamp on the team.  Again, more of a motivating coach, and not an innovator.

Jay Gruden

Amazing that he's survived there this long.  I think it catches up with him this year

Mike Zimmer

A team that's getting old and stale, and with a huge contract for a mediocre QB.  Still laughing at how we curb-stomped them last year.

Matt Patricia

This guy's on borrowed time already.  With the Packers likely improving this year, and another expensive QB on the downside, this guy needs a winning season or he's lost the team already

Jason Garrett

This team has some stars, and good young players, but this guy never seems to get the most out of the talent that he has.  Plus, Jerrah has his next young coach in waiting.

Anthony Lynn

Probably a dark horse on this list, but it's not difficult to see the Chargers imploding, especially if Rivers starts to show his age.  Lynn doesn't impress me as a great game coach, and this could be where it catches up to him

• Like (+1) 2

Garrett won't be fired. The Cowboys are going to be good. I don't think the Jags will be a tire fire either. I think they are an 8-8 / 9-7 team. Whether that is enough to keep Marrone his job I am not sure. That defense just has too much talent to be a tire fire and Foles is an upgrade at Quarterback. My worry for them would be offensive talent around Foles - which I think is sub standard. Lynn will not be fired. The Chargers have shown before they keep a guy a year too long rather than dump one a year too early.

I think Quinn, Rivera, Patricia, Gruden are absolutely all in line for a firing. If I was adding to the list I'd add Pat Shurmer - if the Giants suck they will move on; and Kliff Kingsbury - I think the Cardinals might be the worst team in the league again..... and if so the owner will clear house starting with the GM. Not many credible GMs will take the job if it is conditional on being tied to Kingsbury.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

As we get ready for the season, it's interesting to look ahead and think of the teams that will likely be firing their head coaches at (or before) the end of the year.  

First off, it's worth noting the stability and relative competence that we currently enjoy at the position.  Barring a complete disaster of a season, it's safe to say that Sean McDermott will not be part of this group.

Doug Marrone

Not difficult to envision our old pal St. Doug being high on this list.  I think the Jags are going to be a tire fire this year, and it appears that he's worn out his welcome within the locker room.  Since he's definitely not an innovator, or someone prone to self-examination of his own flaws, it's likely to be a year of him getting angrier and surlier, and his players tuning him out more and more

Dan Quinn

I don't think the Falcons have recovered from the SB loss 2 years ago, and the talent level of this team hasn't kept up.  I think they're a couple major injuries away from a very rough season, especially in an improved division.

Ron Rivera

Similar comment to the one above.  Cam Newton is on the downside of his career, and the owner's itching to put his stamp on the team.  Again, more of a motivating coach, and not an innovator.

Jay Gruden

Amazing that he's survived there this long.  I think it catches up with him this year

Mike Zimmer

A team that's getting old and stale, and with a huge contract for a mediocre QB.  Still laughing at how we curb-stomped them last year.

Matt Patricia

This guy's on borrowed time already.  With the Packers likely improving this year, and another expensive QB on the downside, this guy needs a winning season or he's lost the team already

Jason Garrett

This team has some stars, and good young players, but this guy never seems to get the most out of the talent that he has.  Plus, Jerrah has his next young coach in waiting.

Anthony Lynn

Probably a dark horse on this list, but it's not difficult to see the Chargers imploding, especially if Rivers starts to show his age.  Lynn doesn't impress me as a great game coach, and this could be where it catches up to him

Rivers showed his age down the stretch last year- arm looked tired.

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Garrett won't be fired. The Cowboys are going to be good. I don't think the Jags will be a tire fire either. I think they are an 8-8 / 9-7 team. Whether that is enough to keep Marrone his job I am not sure. That defense just has too much talent to be a tire fire and Foles is an upgrade at Quarterback. My worry for them would be offensive talent around Foles - which I think is sub standard. Lynn will not be fired. The Chargers have shown before they keep a guy a year too long rather than dump one a year too early.

I think Quinn, Rivera, Patricia, Gruden are absolutely all in line for a firing. If I was adding to the list I'd add Pat Shurmer - if the Giants suck they will move on; and Kliff Kingsbury - I think the Cardinals might be the worst team in the league again..... and if so the owner will clear house starting with the GM. Not many credible GMs will take the job if it is conditional on being tied to Kingsbury.

Thanks - I totally forgot about Pat Shurmur - he's pitiful.  I would hate myself if Jauron 2.0 were the coach of my team.  

Kliff Kingsbury is not going anywhere.  They'll be better this year if not for the fact that they probably couldn't be worse

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

How is McD’s job safe but Lynn is someone that could get fired?

He’s had two winning seasons with his last one being a 12 win playoff team. 

Perception is that the Bills are on the way up.  Full support of ownership & GM.  Team stability.  Young core

Do you see the Chargers as being better than they were last year?  Do they have a stable situation?  

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

How is McD’s job safe but Lynn is someone that could get fired?

He’s had two winning seasons with his last one being a 12 win playoff team. 

Not that I think Lynn is in trouble, but it's easy to see the reason he could be...he came into a team that had Phillip Rivers.

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

Perception is that the Bills are on the way up.  Full support of ownership & GM.  Team stability.  Young core

Do you see the Chargers as being better than they were last year?  Do they have a stable situation?  

What is unstable about the Chargers? Is it because Rivers is 37? He’s still playing great.

it makes no sense that Lynn is on the hot seat because of a silly hypothetical but McD is safe because.....reasons? 

Let me be clear, I don’t think McD is going to be fired. But I also think it’s foolish to think Lynn’s job is in jeopardy.

I think Bill O'Brien is in jeopardy.  They have not properly addressed their O Line (except for a Rd one development  tackle from Alabama State) , which was as bad if not worse than ours, and already lose their starting RB because 2 linemen on one play missed blocks to allow a NT free shot at Lamar Miller. Deshaun Watson will be running for his life again, terrible waste imo.  Texans division is now theirs for the taking with the departure of Andrew Luck, they dont make the playoffs this year I think he is in trouble.  They don't have a gm this year, be an opportunity for the new GM they hire (odds are it is Nick Caerio from the Pats) to select his/her own coach.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What is unstable about the Chargers? Is it because Rivers is 37? He’s still playing great.

it makes no sense that Lynn is on the hot seat because of a silly hypothetical but McD is safe because.....reasons? 

Let me be clear, I don’t think McD is going to be fired. But I also think it’s foolish to think Lynn’s job is in jeopardy.

Again - why I qualified my remark with "dark horse candidate".  It's not necessarily logical.  But there are reasons to see how it could happen.  That's why we have these forums

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Yeah. I don’t get thinking Lynn’s job might be in jeopardy because his QB is getting older. How’s that make him a bad coach?  He’s had nothing but success so far. 

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Not that I think Lynn is in trouble, but it's easy to see the reason he could be...he came into a team that had Phillip Rivers.

What reason are you referring to?

Fwiw, Mike McCoy came into a team that had Phillip Rivers...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Bill O'Brien is in jeopardy.  They have not properly addressed their O Line (except for a Rd one development all tackle from Alabama State) , which was as bad if not worse than ours, and already lose their starting RB because 2 linemen on one play missed blocks to allow a NT free shot at Lamar Miller. Deshaun Watson will be running for his life again, terrible waste imo.  Texans division is now theirs for the taking with the departure of Andrew Luck, they dont make the playoffs this year I think he is in trouble.  They don't have a gm this year, be an opportunity for the new GM they hire (odds are it is Nick Caerio from the Pats) his/her own coach.

I agree.  He’s running the whole show now.  No one else left to blame if things go south.  If he trades Clowney for less than his fired GM had offers for, that’d be another strike against him.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  He’s running the whole show now.  No one else left to blame if things go south.  If he trades Clowney for less than his fired GM had offers for, that’d be another strike against him.   

Good point, I forgot about Clowney, I think they have handled it incredibly bad.  Even if Clowney stays he cant be happy with how he was treated and now everyone knows they want to trade him.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good point, I forgot about Clowney, I think they have handled it incredibly bad.  Even if Clowney stays he cant be happy with how he was treated and now everyone knows they want to trade him.

Yup. I wonder if he’d come back to the Texans under an agreement that they won’t tag him next year?  Seems like they’re running out of options unless they want to see him for six games this year and then go through this all again next offseason. 

8 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Again - why I qualified my remark with "dark horse candidate".  It's not necessarily logical.  But there are reasons to see how it could happen.  That's why we have these forums

If discussing the illogical is what you want to do then I won’t stop you. To me it doesn’t make any sense.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Belichick could be on the hot seat, I know, I know, just hear me out. Kraft’s favorite massage parlor is closed and I don’t think he will go down that path again. I believe he will look in house for new source for rub and tug. Brady immediately comes to mind, but I think CBA forbids it. That leaves Belichick and I just don’t see him being very good at it. Leaving Kraft disappointed and moving on. What do you guys think?

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m gonna pick Pete Carroll. Maybe not fired unless they totally fall apart but retired. His team has clearly peaked years ago and he’s getting up there in age 

When is the last HC to retire with an elite QB on their team?  Cowher? Bill Walsh? I think Pete is the type of guy that could retire or go back to college. But not this season.