Final 53

Here’s what I’d do. Where do you disagree?

Offense:

QB (2): Allen / Barkley

RB (4): McCoy / Gore / Singletary / Yeldon

OL (9): Dawkins / Feliciano / Morse / Ford / Nsekhe / Bates / Long / Teller / McDermott

IR: Spain, Waddle

TE (4): Knox / Smith / Sweeney / Croom

PUP: Kroft

WR (6): Brown / Beasley / Foster / Williams / McKenzie / Roberts

Defense:

DL (8): Hughes / Oliver / Lotulelei / Murphy / Lawson / J. Phillips / H. Phillips / D. Johnson

LB (7): Alexander / Edmunds / Milano / Thompson / Lacey / Stanford / Joseph

CB (6): White / Wallace / T. Johnson / K. Johnson / Munnerlyn / Pitts

IR: C. Lewis

S (4): Poyer / Hyde / Coleman / Neal

Special Teams:

K (1): ?

P (1): ?

LS (1): Ferguson

Notes on cuts and position groups:

Patrick DiMarco: It really seems like the only tangible thing DiMarco brings to this team is “leadership,” but he even admitted in his own words last week on One Bills Live that he is a “lead by example” type (in other words, not really a leader). He’s seldom used as a fullback, and the role is redundant—a tight end, extra offensive lineman, or even Duke Williams could fill the same function as needed—and you’d have a hard time convincing me that he has extraordinary special-teams talent that can’t be replaced. So, I ask, what is the point of Patrick DiMarco? It’s time for him to go.

Marcus Murphy: This is a tough one. Murphy has done nothing but run hard and show good vision. He is a very serviceable, well-rounded back who also plays well on special teams. He should find another role in the league. The fourth running back spot came down to him and Yeldon, but Yeldon is an accomplished NFL performer who brings another valuable piece to the passing game.

Senorise Perry: The New O.J. didn’t show enough on offense to warrant being kept on the team just for his supposed special-teams prowess. This team is too deep now to have guys that only play special teams.

Offensive linemen: The Bills have made a point of stacking the roster with offensive linemen who are extremely versatile. Thus, it’s tempting to go with only eight at the position. But that’s hard to do when the position has been so ravaged by injuries. Somehow, Conor McDermott makes his way onto the roster again. Others (Wesley, Boettger) are placed on the practice squad, others (Bodine) can’t be cut soon enough, and others (Spain) are preserved on IR.

Jason Croom: The best ability is availability, and Croom brought none of it this offseason. His primary asset is pass catching, and the Bills have plenty of that on the roster this year. Bad news for future Bills owner Croom as he will be released once Kroft returns.

Zay Jones: After much thought and soul searching, I am changing my tune on this. Trade Zay's butt (and the memory of it) for a fourth-round pick. He’s just not needed on this roster this year, and I can’t see the Bills keeping seven WRs in any scenario.

Mike Love: There was a lot of buzz on him coming out of camp, but I didn’t see him make the plays, and he’s clearly been leapfrogged by Johnson. Practice squad?

Eddie Yarbrough: Sorry, buddy. You’re just not good enough to make this roster anymore. Better luck elsewhere.

Maurice Alexander: He seemed to be a favorite of the coaching staff early, but I don’t see a fit for him on this team with plenty of LB and S depth already.

Jaquan Johnson: Hopefully we can keep him on the practice squad.

Steven Hauschka: The Bills need to move on from Hauschka before it costs them. The decline is obvious, and McDermott needs to channel his inner Belichick and let Hauschka go at the right time. There will be fresh legs (Carolina’s Joey Slye?) available. Kicker is one of the very most important positions on the team, and it’s not talked about enough.

Corey Bojorquez/Cory Carter: Not good enough! There really is no excuse not to have an excellent kicking game, and the Cor(e)ys just haven’t brought it. McBeane need to show they understand the importance of the position and upgrade it.

Edited by The Bills Blog
  • Like (+1) 2

Wow! That's some bold moves: Cut Hauschka, J. Jones, DiMarco, and Love.

A few thoughts:

• I totally agree with you on DiMarco, great guy, but his football skills are limited and what he does can be covered by others.
  • Spain to IR? Is he hurt that badly, even if it is a bad sprain, its a few weeks recovery, but, maybe you know more?
  • Yarbrough and Love, one of them stays--which one can play Special Teams better?
  • With the surprise of Ryan Bates--who shows more ability and great versatility--I do not see how McDermott sticks.
  • And, yes, both punters have to go, surely there will be some quality back-ups released on Saturday, and I think Allen is still available--he would be a good improvement even if he is not what he sued to be.

I think their keeping DiMarco. Spain will be on 53. McDermott & Teller will not. Teller has had a excellent summer and is one tough cut.  Zay will make it McKenzie is another tough cut (ball security). on defense  I think Stanford is cut(Thompson or Lorax (played mike in Spartanburg practices)will be backup MIKE and safety Johnson makes it. We will be playing a ton of dime this year and are going extremely heavy with DB’s. I know there’s a ton of rumors about Clowney but I won’t be surprised for another trade or two at the bottom of the roster. Haus money will be on 53. We will have a punter in September that’s not currently on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

"If you think Patrick DiMarco is going to be cut, you haven't been paying attention"

Ramsay Bolton

I could have missed something but what indicates that Spain goes to IR?

I don't know how but I don't think all those 4 RB's will be on 53. Somebody gets traded. Same goes for Foster/Zay, one of them will be traded.

I like Duke Williams over keeping DiMarco, almost as big a body with much more upside. With this roster, would be surprised if we can't find someone with enough bulk and quickness to handle the Kyle Williams role in heavy goal line situations.

• Like (+1) 2

People who think Duke can actually play a real FB role are nuts

And Dabolls offense is 100% keeping a full back. It's not as easy as just go through hole and block... Fullbacks go through tons of physical stress during a season   , the rigors are crazy and people wanna out Duke through that?

Devlin is a big part of NE and Gore and Shady need someone to follow, and it's not a WR 

• Like (+1) 5

I don't see Croom making the roster. If Kroft is on PUP they'll keep Duke Williams instead. Usually TE and WR are seperate issues but Croom can't play in-line and Duke is a better blocker-- basically Duke does Jason Croom better than Jason Croom.

The team considers Neal a corner now. I think Jaquan Johnson makes the team at the expense of either Lafa Pitts or Captain Munnerlyn.

Spain in, McDermott out

I agree with most of it, nice job

• Like (+1) 4

On offense: Spain over McDermott (Spain is not going on IR).  DiMarco (they love him) and Jones (still has potential) make it, Croom (hasn't played almost all of TC and all of pre-season and could be IR'd for Kelly's sake) doesn't. 

On defense: I'd cut Thompson and if Lewis is an IR candidate, keep the rest the same.  Otherwise Lewis makes it over Pitt.

On STs:  I think they add a punter next weekend and keep an eye on the Carolina K situation.

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Spain will not be able to return if you put him on the IR before he makes the 53.

I don't think that's true. 

Edited by Doc

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

On offense: Spain over McDermott (Spain is not going on IR).  DiMarco (they love him) and Jones (still has potential) make it, Croom (hasn't played almost all of TC and all of pre-season and could be IR'd for Kelly's sake) doesn't. 

On defense: I'd cut Thompson and if Lewis is an IR candidate, keep the rest the same.  Otherwise Lewis makes it over Pitt.

On STs:  I think they add a punter next weekend and keep an eye on the Carolina K situation.

I don't think that's true. 

Well, if he wants to return this season, he has to be put on the 53 roster.  But, if he is on the IR before the 53 cut, he will be ineligible to play for the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Well, if he wants to return this season, he has to be put on the 53 roster.  But, if he is on the IR before the 53 cut, he will be ineligible to play for the season. 

They can PUP him can't they and then activate him in week 6? If they don't activate him by week 6 they have to release him.

Good discussion here - I have a different take on some of the cuts.

On Offense:  FB DiMarco stays over Croom.  OBD opens season with 3 TEs.  Croom to PS.

OBD does not IR Spain.  Oline is 8 deep like in 2017.  Feliciano, Long and Bates are the backups.  Teller exposed to Waivers and he and Boettger go to PS.  McDermott cut.  Ford being able to play RT and Nsekhe ability to play LT/RT eliminates need for traditional Swing tackle.

On D Pitts cut and they keep DB Johnson instead as Neal is hybrid nickel CB/S and STer.

On STs Hauschka kept.  Agree Bill sign P after next SAT league cutdown.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Here’s what I’d do. Where do you disagree?

Offense:

QB (2): Allen / Barkley

RB (4): McCoy / Gore / Singletary / Yeldon  / Di Marco

OL (9 10): Dawkins / Feliciano / Morse / Ford / Nsekhe / Bates / Long / Teller / McDermott / Spain / Boettger

IR: Spain, Waddle

TE (4 3): Knox / Smith / Sweeney / Croom

PUP: Kroft

WR (6): Brown / Beasley / Foster / Williams / McKenzie / Roberts / Jones

Defense:

DL (8): Hughes / Oliver / Lotulelei / Murphy / Lawson / J. Phillips / H. Phillips / D. Johnson

LB (7): Alexander / Edmunds / Milano / Thompson / Lacey / Stanford / Joseph

CB (6 5): White / Wallace / T. Johnson / K. Johnson / Munnerlyn / Pitts

IR: C. Lewis

S (4 5): Poyer / Hyde / Coleman / Neal / Johnson

Special Teams:

K (1): Haushka

P (1): ?

LS (1): Ferguson

That is what I think they will do.

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You have to be on the PUP list going into training camp.  After camp starts, you can't be put on the PUP list. 

Ah okay.

• Like (+1) 2