Do you guys like the new sky cam?

No! If sitting that high was considered a good view it would be the most expensive seat in the house. From my living room, I don't want the view from the top of the nosebleeds

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Didn't get to see it yet, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Whether a person likes it or not is probably more of a preference thing. Fans are used to the sideline view on tv, and in general, most people aren't as accepting of change.

ESPN's online streaming service has been utilizing a sky cam feed for their NCAAF games on Saturday night for a couple years now, and I'm a fan. It provides a better veiw of the development of plays, and also cuts out the commentary for more of an in-stadium experience, but that also probably will turn off the casual fan. I believe commercials are cut out as well.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

they need to give the fan the option to choose what view they want

i wanted to add that i think this new view keeps the game in front of you more, meaning its easier to see whats going to happen.

the classic view has more surprises, like you wont know how possible it is for a back to break a big one, or if the deep pass will be complete.

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I hate it as well.  Too far away.  It seems like change for the sake of change, which in itself is truly stupid.

Terrible.

Use it for replays if you must, but not the whole game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BubbaT said:

No! If sitting that high was considered a good view it would be the most expensive seat in the house. From my living room, I don't want the view from the top of the nosebleeds

Thought it was great. Get your point, but I am a guy who thinks beat seat at the Ralph is first row upper deck as I tend to watch routes and coverages more than just focusing on the ball. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If I wanted that view that far away I’d go to the game.  It’s  good for review but not why I watch at home.

With that view it’s like I’m in the upper deck but at home.  So I’m paying to watch the game from the upper deck but at home.  Meh at least shorter bathroom line.

When will VR become available?  Imagine the ref completely decked out in cameras so you could put on a VR and see anything he does, you could move your head and look over there, down there, hear what the players say to each other.  This is possible.

Personally, I think most people's "I don't like it" reactions are rooted in the fact that we are SO used to the view we've had for many years now. It's a real shock to the system to see a different view.

As far as showing you more of the action -- how routes are developing, who's open, the blocking, the cutback lanes -- it's brilliant.

For those of us who love the All-22 footage and like to actually see a how a play is working or not working in real time, it's awesome.

I hope they keep it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm hoping the future is providing me with options for how I want to watch.  I can use the original camera, or the higher up field view camera, or the behind center camera... etc.  I don't think there should be a single way of watching football - and I hope they move towards an app or something that lets me:

A- Watch in 4K

B- Lets me watch any game that is playing at that time, including in-market games 

C- Lets me choose from available camera's 

If it takes Ads on Uniforms and more on the field to make this happen I'm for it.  The TV money that comes pouring in off the contracts, and the Sunday Ticket through DirectTV would need to be offset, but an annual fee of some kind would cover that.  You could even give a discount to season ticket holders, pre-pay vs. monthly etc.  I don't think you would eliminate the NFL on CBS/FOX etc, but you're giving a premium service to customers - and you would have a lot of them.. people love their football.

Streaming seems to be the way of the future, yet Sports leagues continually jump back in with the networks and their money guarantee.  WWE is kind of the only true hybrid, taking the network money and then also creating a streaming option for their customers.  

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thought it was great. Get your point, but I am a guy who thinks beat seat at the Ralph is first row upper deck as I tend to watch routes and coverages more than just focusing on the ball. 

Actually I get your point too. I don't mind the upper deck at the stadium, (and the 1st rows or so are particularly good) mostly because it is much lower than many I've been to. I sat in the very top row of the Rose Bowl for the Bills Super Bowl game and liked it a lot because it just wasn't that high up and because I could stand, support my back some (no seat backs in the Rose Bowl at that point anyway) and not bug anyone behind me.  The sky cam though (to me anyway) is just too damn high and I miss routine things.