Royale with Cheese

Do you guys like the new sky cam?

NBC is having a trial with a new sky cam.  The camera is 52 feet high and always starts on the LOS.

The camera turns, zooms in and out and moves so you’ll never miss the ball. 

The players are smaller but you see routes developing, which players are in coverage etc....you see more of the game.  

In the regular broadcast view, I would say you get an average of 10-12 yards so when the QB bullets a midrange ball...it’s out of frame.

I like this new view...hope it sticks.

Looks like the view from the blimp. Don’t like it.

• Haha (+1) 1

I hate it as well.  Too far away.  It seems like change for the sake of change, which in itself is truly stupid.

I’m getting used to it.  Not bad so far.  I do like being able to see the defensive coverages and the WR routes.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

So far if you don't see well you hate it, if you have good vision you love it. 

I have 20/20...its more that it takes you out of the game.  Like watching all 22...see more but feel less immersion.  

Hate Skycam for watching the game. Replays I get sometimes. But if the nfl goes to the skycam full time and away from the traditional left to right play... I won’t watch anymore. 

• Confused 1

I don't like it, but I think I will prefer it once I get used to it.  It gets you closer to the action. 

The NFL has taken pages out of the AAF book. They did the same thing with the sky cam and I thought it was great.

Posted (edited)

No! If sitting that high was considered a good view it would be the most expensive seat in the house. From my living room, I don't want the view from the top of the nosebleeds

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Didn't get to see it yet, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Whether a person likes it or not is probably more of a preference thing. Fans are used to the sideline view on tv, and in general, most people aren't as accepting of change.

ESPN's online streaming service has been utilizing a sky cam feed for their NCAAF games on Saturday night for a couple years now, and I'm a fan. It provides a better veiw of the development of plays, and also cuts out the commentary for more of an in-stadium experience, but that also probably will turn off the casual fan. I believe commercials are cut out as well.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Posted (edited)

they need to give the fan the option to choose what view they want

i wanted to add that i think this new view keeps the game in front of you more, meaning its easier to see whats going to happen.

the classic view has more surprises, like you wont know how possible it is for a back to break a big one, or if the deep pass will be complete.

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 1

I like it and I hate it.  So, maybe use it sparingly.