Foster has toe injury, explains slow pre-season

15 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

No.  I'm thinking more along the lines of he makes the 53 but then is put on IR

But if the player doesn't want to sit on IR til week 8 when he is healthy enough to play in week 1, he will ask for his injury release off IR.

Edited by matter2003

My wife dances ballet and has a turf toe situation. It is flat out nasty. It explains a lot. I can't imagine running and cutting on it. 

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

But if the player doesn't want to sit on IR til week 8 when he is healthy enough to play in week 1, he will ask for his injury release off IR.

True but if it is really hampering him it could be a blessing.

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You may be right.  Foster though hasn't been the same player so maybe his injury is more significant.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

It’s been mentioned a few times about his foot.... I know the first day of Carolina joint practices he hurt it... 

I think Bills keep 7 WRs initially especially since 4 of them are playing STs

I think they have asked Zay to play ST so they can try and keep 7.  I mentioned it in the WR thread.

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think they have asked Zay to play ST so they can try and keep 7.  I mentioned it in the WR thread.

Yep. Zay, Foster, McKenzie and Roberts all playing STs.

Foster May start on IR if he doesn’t get that toe right

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Yep. Zay, Foster, McKenzie and Roberts all playing STs.

Foster May start on IR if he doesn’t get that toe right

I think keeping 7 allows for excellent game plan flexability and injury insurance.

Its all on JA to step forward.  Its been a long time since we've had depth like this.

33 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

You may be right.  Foster though hasn't been the same player so maybe his injury is more significant.  We shall see.

Even if it is week 3 or 4, no player is gonna want to sit around til week 8, and then if another more significant player gets put on IR and the team chooses to activate them instead of Foster, sit the entire season.  Once he goes on IR there is no guarantee the team will re-activate him.

Edited by matter2003

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Even if it is week 3 or 4, no player is gonna want to sit around til week 8, and then if another more significant player gets put on IR and the team chooses to activate them instead of Foster, sit the entire season.  Once he goes on IR there is no guarantee the team will re-activate him.

Foster is an UDFA who got cut by the Bills and then brought back.  He had some nice games and big plays the last half of the season.  So far he has struggled this off season.  He's in a situation where he does not have much leverage.  If the Bills waive him he could sign with another team and learn their playbook.  If the Bills IR him, my guess is he will stick around whether he likes it or not.  You are right there are no guarantees but he would get his full salary if on IR this season.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Depth??

Im not sure they even have a good starting WR. They desperately need to find a gem and someone to step up because as it stands now they have a bottom of the league unit at WR.

After Beasley and Brown I don't see someone who's replacement level at the position on the roster.  If they trot out Z. Jones as their Z the offense is in trouble.  And a large part of that is because there's no answer at TE to help off-set the issues at WR.

People assuming the UFA signings are all they need will be sorely disappointed.  I can see them being a run heavy team and more than many fans expected. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hope it’s not turf toe but sounds like a real possibility. 

I think there are different degrees of turf toe, I’m assuming his is mild or he would not be playing at all right now.

My thought, exactly.

Question is ... is Foster the kind of player to play through discomfort, or is he more like Sam Watkins who quit on his team.  I think Foster is the former.

At most pup until better.  No point in trying to make him play when hurt.  I know no one on this board, but casual fans thinks a toe is a minor thing, and as we know it is not.  I’d rather see a 100% Foster in October, than a problem all year given his speed is one of his best assets.

We have a winnable September except NE, so so as the schedule gets tougher, having two speed demons in Brown and Foster, and two underneath in Beasley, and Jones will be needed.  I don’t know what you’re thoughts were on Friday, but I expected more from the 1’s.  

The only one one who really impressed me on offense was Gore at 36.  The man is beating Father Time on one of the most grueling positions.  He absolutely deserves the HOF.  If he has a positive year, he will be one step closer to 3 vs. 4 in NFL history.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

At most pup until better.  No point in trying to make him play when hurt.  I know no one on this board, but casual fans thinks a toe is a minor thing, and as we know it is not.  I’d rather see a 100% Foster in October, than a problem all year given his speed is one of his best assets.

We have a winnable September except NE, so so as the schedule gets tougher, having two speed demons in Brown and Foster, and two underneath in Beasley, and Jones will be needed.  I don’t know what you’re thoughts were on Friday, but I expected more from the 1’s.  

The only one one who really impressed me on offense was Gore at 36.  The man is beating Father Time on one of the most grueling positions.  He absolutely deserves the HOF.  If he has a positive year, he will be one step closer to 3 vs. 4 in NFL history.

Agreed 100 percent on this.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If their offense is anything like what they showed on Friday night I'll be disappointed.

The run, run, pass offense really doesn't suit today's NFL or Josh Allens skill set.

I don't understand where the assumption is coming from that Buffalo is going to be a pass first offense.  The HC is not going to permit a still raw QB throw it 30+ times a game. And, even though I think they were holding back Allen last week at Detroit, it would not surprise me to see a very balanced attack which could involve more passing as the season unfolds.  

They also don't have the receiving threats available to make a pass first offense work.  After Brown and Beasley, the next guy is Zay Jones, who Allen doesn't seem to have a solid rapport with and nothing at TE is proven.

I see a very pedestrian offense combined with a good defense that should put them in that 7-9 win area.  Teams just aren't winning structured that way.