Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My main reasoning for the comparison though is that Oliver may turn into a DT that holds his ground and eats blocks like he did in Houston a lot instead of the 8-10 sack player people are expecting.

Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen

Ed Oliver was graded as a top five pick in this years draft and fell to the Bills at #9 because the Giants and Raiders picked flyers. That said, yes, the kid is somewhat undersized to play DT at 6'2'' 287lbs in comparison to most NFL DTs.  However, the very best DT in the league is Aaron Donald who is 6'1'' 280lbs...who runs a 4.6 40.  Oliver is slightly slower at 4.75 which is still blazing for a guy that big. 

I watched the kid and he is at times getting double teamed and also at times getting engulfed by massive O linemen. If teams are already doubling the kid it means that they already have great respect for what he can do. He is a rookie and is learning the NFL ropes while he plays. Oliver is a pass rusher and a beast. Just get a listen to what the Buffalo Bills offensive line players are saying about him is that he creates havoc all the time and they hate to go against him as he makes them look bad. 

The thing is, that even Aaron Donald can look invisible at times. Donald was double, triple teamed in the super bowl by a very good Patriots O line and only got one hit on Brady all game. This from a player that got 20.5 sacks, 41 QB hits in 2018. 

It may take a few games but I suspect that once the Buffalo defense gets settled in what they can do that Oliver will be a very disruptive force this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen

Ed Oliver was graded as a top five pick in this years draft and fell to the Bills at #9 because the Giants and Raiders picked flyers. That said, yes, the kid is somewhat undersized to play DT at 6'2'' 287lbs in comparison to most NFL DTs.  However, the very best DT in the league is Aaron Donald who is 6'1'' 280lbs...who runs a 4.6 40.  Oliver is slightly slower at 4.75 which is still blazing for a guy that big. 

I watched the kid and he is at times getting double teamed and also at times getting engulfed by massive O linemen. If teams are already doubling the kid it means that they already have great respect for what he can do. He is a rookie and is learning the NFL ropes while he plays. Oliver is a pass rusher and a beast. Just get a listen to what the Buffalo Bills offensive line players are saying about him is that he creates havoc all the time and they hate to go against him as he makes them look bad. 

The thing is, that even Aaron Donald can look invisible at times. Donald was double, triple teamed in the super bowl by a very good Patriots O line and only got one hit on Brady all game. This from a player that got 20.5 sacks, 41 QB hits in 2018. 

It may take a few games but I suspect that once the Buffalo defense gets settled in what they can do that Oliver will be a very disruptive force this season. 

I don't believe Donald had a sack in the entire post season.  

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ya know, Interweb chat rooms & discussion forums truly challenge established human behavior patterns. Long time members and those who contribute often become uniquely burdened with the unproven theory that every noob is a nose-pickin’, zitfaced teen living with his parents. There’s zero evidence to support this strange phenomena, yet it is oddly undeniable.

y’all aren’t helping the situation.

Don't worry, eventually all opinions that are "wrong" will be suppressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuAPgV80-E

What I really find amazing here is comparisons to Aaron Donald....the BEST DT IN THE LEAGUE before the kid has even played one NFL game.....and if he isnt Aaron Donald then buyers remorse.

Give it a friggen rest.....we will find out who he is in the NFL soon enough....but the talk that he has somehow disspaointed in the limited snaps he is getting in pre season is STUPID

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What I really find amazing here is comparisons to Aaron Donald....the BEST DT IN THE LEAGUE before the kid has even played one NFL game.....and if he isnt Aaron Donald then buyers remorse.

Give it a friggen rest.....we will find out who he is in the NFL soon enough....but the talk that he has somehow disspaointed in the limited snaps he is getting in pre season is STUPID

The comparisons to Donald coming out were inevitable when Oliver blew up his pro day and exhibited the kind of athleticism at that size that nobody else but Donald himself did previously. 

Unfair, but inevitable. 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cyril Richardson I believe was 330 lbs.  

Image result for Aaron donald Cyril Richardson gif

As impressive as he may have been, Richardson’s athleticism and explosion just didn’t compare to Oliver’s and Donald’s. 

Richardson is in select company for his size though. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually bought into Rex saying Donald was too small.  Then I saw this highlight....

Rex wasn’t the only coach who thought that, but it makes you wonder why coaches are so entrenched in their thinking at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Rex wasn’t the only coach who thought that, but it makes you wonder why coaches are so entrenched in their thinking at times. 

Rex Ryan was a moron with a one trick pony defensive scheme. He was correct though as Darnold was too small, undersized for the defense Ryan wanted to run.

Let's not forget what Ryan did to the best pass rushing D line in the league in Buffalo. Instead of asking the best pass rushers in the league to actually pass rush... as he would prefer his D linemen to stay in a small spot, to take on and hold up the O line player in front of them so that the LBers could make the play. (never mind that the LBers weren't that good)

Or ask them to drop into pass coverage. 

There are real reasons as to why Rex is out of the NFL and his brother Rob who was a DC for the longest time is now inside linebackers coach at Washington. The NFL has passed them by...