Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

4 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

i wonder how many on here would have proclaimed bruce smith a bust during preseason or even his first season.  there is a reason they are called "rookies"

I was thinking the same thing. Problem is that guys like Aaron Donald ruined that for regular rookies. As long as Oliver can hold his own and make the occasional play I'll be satisfied for his rookie season.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

This got me thinking about how AD did in his first three preseason games as a rookie. Well, he had a grand total of 2 tackles through three preseason games. No sacks, no TFLs. 

So much for the predictive properties of a rookie defensive tackles’s preseason performance.

I know, crazy thread. Oliver's first step is elite and as he develops he is going to be a terror. I can't wait to see him later this season and in the future. Gonna be fun. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bust no. Just not going to impact like we thought. 

I agree with your view.  He's made very little impact, especially against the Detroit starters. I don't think he can out muscle anyone even in pre-season!

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

You have been given examples of his getting off blocks yet keep saying that he can’t get of a block. Here’s another example, the very first preseason game he was double teamed, got off the double and was in on the tackle, against an all pro at that. Not so much to be worried about, he’s doing fine for a rookie who has yet to play his first game.

Go Bills!!!

Double involving an All-Pro Guard.  If an All-Pro needs help it says something about the DT he's blocking doesnt it.

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Since Ed has been here, I've actually noticed Star more. So the double teams Oliver is seeing are making a difference, IMO.

I'm actually wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to throw Harry in instead of Star. Now that Oliver eats the doubles it seems to take the role away from Star.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I'm actually wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to throw Harry in instead of Star. Now that Oliver eats the doubles it seems to take the role away from Star.

I've been underwhelmed by H Phillips this preseason. I was expecting a big jump from him but he looks like the worst of the 4 DTs right now.

4 minutes ago, vincec said:

I've been underwhelmed by H Phillips this preseason. I was expecting a big jump from him but he looks like the worst of the 4 DTs right now.

He looked great when Shaq was stacking up the whole O-Line lol. I guess I'm just looking for an upgrade over Star. Phillips could probably slide in there. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Imo they are putting ed in less then favorable positions to see how he reacts.  His biggest question mark was his ability to hold up vs NFL double teams.  He hasnt been terrible, and he has flashed here and there.  Come gameplaning and scheming comes into play in 2 weeks, I'm excited to see how he is used.  Pretty much Ed passed the test in preseason of looking like an NFL DT.  He wasnt wide eyed our looked out of place. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn't say anything about worked. He has effort. He just can't get off blocks. 

Do you need attention?  

Week #1 he was facing an All Pro LG, who needed a double team on most plays. Does he need to get better with his hands and getting off blocks? Sure. Bruce Smith was no great shakes his first preseason. Chubbers Deluxe. But he learned. He worked and he learned, and he had the natural tools to make it happen.

NO, I’m not saying Ed is Bruce level or ever will be.... but it takes time. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate the clarification. I agree he’s been stymied on pass rush the last two games,  but I’m not gonna worry until I see how he does when we start scheming our pass rush. He’s more than held his own vs. the run. Like I said earlier,  by my count he’s lost leverage just twice all preseason. He’s been very good, actually.

He’s been stymied on the pass rush the last two games after doing well in game one. 

On all his run snaps, he’s lost leverage twice in the three games. Twice. In that regard, he’s been anything but “bested, outperformed, or overmatched.” Maybe we’re not watching the same games.

I totally agree about the run. I feel like hes more than held his own against the double teams and had a slight affect as far as getting in the running backs way or getting push in one on ones... has probably have a few .5 tfls this preseason too.

Oliver is a talented rookie.  That means he flashes sometimes, but he also struggles.  He has a limited repertoire of moves because he didn't need as much in college, but being undersized in the NFL, he needs more than just quickness.  He needs to be able to do enough different things to keep smart, strong and athletic offensive guards.  He'll be fine, but he's got some growing to do.

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Since Ed has been here, I've actually noticed Star more. So the double teams Oliver is seeing are making a difference, IMO.

So what you're saying is his value as a decoy cannot be quantified.  He sounds a lot like Lee Evans in that regard.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ve seen him penetrate multiple times.  There was a run play in the last game where he cut straight through the line and in the back field almost immediately after the handoff.

What? I think you replied to the wrong post. 

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So what you're saying is his value as a decoy cannot be quantified.  He sounds a lot like Lee Evans in that regard.

I’m hoping it’s more on an OJ level. Call me greedy.