Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

Anyone remember what a terrible pick Edmunds was last year? Remember how he sucked as he missed all those tackles and we shouldn’t have started him as a rookie?

Rookies, high first round picks still have work to do and things to learn. FACT 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

It looks like a bust pick,  rather than grab a WR or TE to help out young QB they go defensive side of the ball and reach for undersized guy.

Edited by Niagara Dude
changed
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

It is a bust pick,  rather than grab a WR or TE to help out young QB they go defensive side of the ball and reach for undersized guy.

a bust pick? after 3 preseason games? Good Lord...what is wrong with you people??

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Anyone remember what a terrible pick Edmunds was last year? Remember how he sucked as he missed all those tackles and we shouldn’t have started him as a rookie?

Rookies, high first round picks still have work to do and things to learn. FACT 

a 1st rd WR gets a 3 year grace period. nobody else tho. people make me laugh with nonsense that he's a bust. I can't even say Shaq has been a bust. disappointment maybe, not a bust. jmo

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Nester said:

He has never even played an NFL game yet.

This thread is stupid.

It's stupid?  You might disagree with the premise, but why would it be "stupid?"  

You mean because it offers an opinion that might be detrimental to the team?

It's bizarre how the haters come out in these threads and viciously attack the OP for daring to suggest something that might be detrimental to the team.

There is a huge cult/follower mentality around this place.  

As someone who values critical, independent thinking, it's scary as hell.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Nextmanup said:

It's stupid?  You might disagree with the premise, but why would it be "stupid?"  

You mean because it offers an opinion that might be detrimental to the team?

It's bizarre how the haters come out in these threads and viciously attack the OP for daring to suggest something that might be detrimental to the team.

There is a huge cult/follower mentality around this place.  

As someone who values critical, independent thinking, it's scary as hell.

It’s stupid because he’s a rookie who hasn’t played a single game where we were game planing to stop an opposition. There is no way to come to any educated conclusion. So yes, it’s stupid...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't know what his responsibilities are each play, but what I see is a player that is tough to move but lacks the hands to disengage from blocks. 

Honestly to me Oliver may be best suited as a NT, which is what Houston ultimately had him doing and was criticized for it. McDermott may use Oliver the same way. He's very difficult to move even at his size. 

You are the only person on the planet who is thinking this. Everyone else on the planet believes his skill set at the NFL level is optimally utilized as a 3 technique 4-3 DT.

If an interior D lineman is doubled his job is to hold his ground and slide in the direction of the play on a run, or contain/occupy a passing lane to disrupt timing.  Once in awhile they can split and penetrate but this isn't college ball, they're the best in the world.

Don't worry about big Ed yet.  He's got a long way to go before he's going to be a star, but he sure looks like he has great instincts, power and hustle to me.

42 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The OP is correct that Oliver hasn't performed nearly as well as some seem to think. He's a rookie and he has a long way to go yet. He must greatly improve the use of his hands to be effective. I support this pick, but of course I wish he were ready now. Just leave him in there and let him gain more experience and pray he becomes elite.

Was watching the Jets last night and Q. Williams has looked beastly. I think Oliver will do just fine but the Jets picked the right DT. He is a plug and play talent in any scheme. 

Oliver has shown flashes and once he's really let loose he may shine. I've seen him in the backfield a few times and I've seen him whiff on some plays as well. We really need another pass rusher opposite Jerry. Murphy is underwhelming and Shaq is not a pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

The only thing more shocking than this bad take is that one other person hit the like button on it.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1