Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

Lmao....after 3 preseason games people already declaring him a bust. Crazy...

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't know what his responsibilities are each play, but what I see is a player that is tough to move but lacks the hands to disengage from blocks. 

And you continue to say this,   Why do you expect him to be a polished vet before he plays his first game as a pro?

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bust no. Just not going to impact like we thought. 

You come to this conclusion before Ed even plays a regular season down?

Step away from the internet for a while, please!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bust no. Just not going to impact like we thought. 

He is a rookie. He needs time. Wait til at least midsesson when they are actually running real defensive plays before any of thst come into your mind.

• Like (+1) 1

The OP is correct that Oliver hasn't performed nearly as well as some seem to think. He's a rookie and he has a long way to go yet. He must greatly improve the use of his hands to be effective. I support this pick, but of course I wish he were ready now. Just leave him in there and let him gain more experience and pray he becomes elite.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't know what his responsibilities are each play, but what I see is a player that is tough to move but lacks the hands to disengage from blocks. 

If I were more knowledgeable, I might say ….

If the Bills defense calls a play to stop the run, the d-linemen's job is to stonewall his opponent effectively clogging up running lanes, the middle linebackers job is to rush up to the line and "fill in" the outside LBs job is to seal the edges. SO … if that were true … Oliver engaging his man, and not allowing him to shed him is doing his particular job ON THAT PLAY.

On passing downs Ed will be assigned to shed his opponent, penetrate into the backfield and create havoc.

I propose that the coaching staff already knows he is capable of penetration on passing downs and they are giving him reps ih holding his ground to defend the run.

But I could be wrong.

Oliver does lack any counter moves or hand fighting skills. It's quite obvious if you're looking for it. Once the guard gets their hands locked onto Oliver's chest pads, it's over, Which is true for most NFL Dlinemen, too.

The positives we're seeing is Oliver using his quickness to beat linemen before they are on him. He's also constantly shifting laterally, which keeps him alive, but also makes him useless against quick hitting plays. I did see Oliver try a spin move once... it looked funny... and accomplished nothing.

While he's good enough, we can only hope that he knows that he still has a lot of room to improve.

By my count he’s lost leverage twice on all his snaps the entire preseason.

He has been stymied on several pass rush attempts, but I’ll worry more if that’s still the case when they’re scheming their pass rush with blitzes, stunts, etc. Given his athleticism, there is no reason to think he won’t be as effective as KW was running games with Hughes. 

No no concerns at this point. Quite the contrary in fact.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

I don’t know where this is coming from. Oliver has definitely looked like he fits right in and has been flat out unblockable at points. 

He stays healthy he is he is going to have an Long and productive career. 

• Like (+1) 1