Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

He has been double teamed alot- not a bad problem to have. Ed gets off the ball lightning quick and he is a rook- let him settle in he is gonna be similar to a Warren Sapp type. Also remember,  pre season no on its stunting etc... 

They are definitely saving Oliver stunts for the season, his quickness will pay off there but I don't like his hands so far. He let's OL get a hold of him and he can't get off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They are definitely saving Oliver stunts for the season, his quickness will pay off there but I don't like his hands so far. He let's OL get a hold of him and he can't get off. 

Good point - as time goes on I think he will fine tune his craft. He has the right coaching staff to become great.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

Interesting observation, I only have one question because I'm always trying to become a more knowledgeable fan. How can you tell which plays he is called on to penetrate and rush the passer, and which plays he is supposed to "protect" the point of attack to allow the LBs to run free? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

Phillips was the 1 but Oliver beat him out during training camp.  Oliver is not going to beat his guy every play.  He's actually looked pretty good.  Can he play better and will he play better?  Yes and yes.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been thinking the exact opposite.  I'm excited to watch him work this year . Expecting an impact right out the gate

1 minute ago, macaroni said:

Interesting observation, I only have one question because I'm always trying to become a more knowledgeable fan. How can you tell which plays he is called on to penetrate and rush the passer, and which plays he is supposed to "protect" the point of attack to allow the LBs to run free? 

He can't tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You have been given examples of his getting off blocks yet keep saying that he can’t get of a block. Here’s another example, the very first preseason game he was double teamed, got off the double and was in on the tackle, against an all pro at that. Not so much to be worried about, he’s doing fine for a rookie who has yet to play his first game.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I don't know what his responsibilities are each play, but what I see is a player that is tough to move but lacks the hands to disengage from blocks. 

5 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Since Ed has been here, I've actually noticed Star more. So the double teams Oliver is seeing are making a difference, IMO.

Honestly to me Oliver may be best suited as a NT, which is what Houston ultimately had him doing and was criticized for it. McDermott may use Oliver the same way. He's very difficult to move even at his size. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ve seen him penetrate multiple times.  There was a run play in the last game where he cut straight through the line and in the back field almost immediately after the handoff.

Is that the one where he completely whiffed in the RB?