My Draft Is Tonight. Last Minute Tips?

Big C

OK, third year of my highly competitive league starts tonight. I'm not happy with my draft slot (6). We have keepers and naturally that affects how the first round shakes out. These keepers include: McCaffrey, Davante, Conner, Chubb, Kerryon, Mahomes and Kittle. I am keeping Juju as a 6th round pick, which I am happy with.

The way the board looks like it is falling, I am looking at maybe Julio, Bell or Thomas as the BPA, with the chance that Zeke slips due to the holdout. Who would you draft here? 

I'm exploring trading down (possibly just a first and second swap with the 11th pick) and would be targeting Dalvin Cook there, who I like a lot but would be a reach at 6 and will go before my second round choice as well. If I can't ***** Cook or Mixon I may have to play zero RB strategy. 

Outside of tips on who to draft in my first couple rounds, who are you guys targeting late as sleepers and who are you avoiding altogether? 

Welp, things didn't exactly shake out the way I wanted them to. Guys were reaching for RBs and I tried my best to stay the course and take BPA early, leading to a basically zero RB draft:

DeAndre Hopkins

Adam Thielen

Zach Ertz

James White

Tyler Boyd

Juju (Keeper)

Darrell Henderson

Devin Singletary

Matt Brieda

Courtland Sutton

Josh Allen

Gus Edwards

Justin Tucker

JJ Arcega-Whiteside (bit of a flyer here because he's lighting it up in preseason)

Jay Ajayi (again, took a flyer because there were rumors on Twitter that night that he was signing with the Texans... more upside than any available 15th rounder

Guys in my league were reaching for RBs and some doubling down on QBs and TEs in strange ways. Was hoping to take Hockenson late but I got jumped. Didn't really want a TE that early, but Ertz was best value in the mid third. 

Will of course be dropping someone for a D by the time the season actually starts.

So all told I need a boost at my RB position. Thrilled with my WRs of course and can use them to either trade for a RB or just keep the depth and use my FAAB bucks when the opportunity arises. 

Right now two trade offers have been made to me:

Hopkins for Dalvin Cook straight up

Kelce and Ingram for Ertz and Juju

I think in both cases my team gets slightly better if only due to the glaring need I have at RB, but I am certainly not the winner in those trades. Do you guys think I should take one of those, or should I stand my ground and ride my elite pass catchers (and hopefully breakout QB!) until something breaks my way?

Nice draft! (besides the RBs)

Personally, I would wait on those. I have a couple of stash suggestions that could help. 

So I have heard quite a bit of buzz about stashing Justice Hill (BAL). Some think he becomes the guy in Baltimore at some point this season. That's more of a lottery ticket.

I'm sure Tony Pollard (DAL) and Justin Jackson (LAC) were drafted already, but they are good short term options if they are available.

Oh and Jaylen Samuels (PIT) isn't a bad option either if he is available. He will probably see decent usage as a change of pace receiving back with obviously large upside if Conner happens to miss time. 

Also a good DST streaming option to start the season is Dallas. Their first 3 weeks are easy - Giants, Skins, Fins.

2 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Nice draft! (besides the RBs)

Personally, I would wait on those. I have a couple of stash suggestions that could help. 

So I have heard quite a bit of buzz about stashing Justice Hill (BAL). Some think he becomes the guy in Baltimore at some point this season. That's more of a lottery ticket.

I'm sure Tony Pollard (DAL) and Justin Jackson (LAC) were drafted already, but they are good short term options if they are available.

Oh and Jaylen Samuels (PIT) isn't a bad option either if he is available. He will probably see decent usage as a change of pace receiving back with obviously large upside if Conner happens to miss time. 

Also a good DST streaming option to start the season is Dallas. Their first 3 weeks are easy - Giants, Skins, Fins.

Appreciate the feedback! All of those backs were drafted and much earlier than I would have liked. And the Boys D was taken at the top of 13... someone had some conviction about that stream! I can't take a D that early, personally.

I'm hoping that Singletary and Henderson get a reasonable amount of touches, but as of now I'd be starting White and Brieda. Both will probably get more than 0 points week 1 and I can ride the rest of my squad.

15 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Dang, your league was dedicated to the backs research! Brieda and White are definitely serviceable for now. Good luck!

Yup. I was looking at a lot of those guys for late round flyers and they all got scooped. The RB situation this year is odd. I was wrong for thinking a lot of the mid-tier guys would be there later because of the uncertainty. Oh well. This year my goal is to stress less about it because too much of it is out of my hands.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Welp, things didn't exactly shake out the way I wanted them to. Guys were reaching for RBs and I tried my best to stay the course and take BPA early, leading to a basically zero RB draft:

DeAndre Hopkins

Adam Thielen

Zach Ertz

James White

Tyler Boyd

Juju (Keeper)

Darrell Henderson

Devin Singletary

Matt Brieda

Courtland Sutton

Josh Allen

Gus Edwards

Justin Tucker

JJ Arcega-Whiteside (bit of a flyer here because he's lighting it up in preseason)

Jay Ajayi (again, took a flyer because there were rumors on Twitter that night that he was signing with the Texans... more upside than any available 15th rounder

Guys in my league were reaching for RBs and some doubling down on QBs and TEs in strange ways. Was hoping to take Hockenson late but I got jumped. Didn't really want a TE that early, but Ertz was best value in the mid third. 

Will of course be dropping someone for a D by the time the season actually starts.

So all told I need a boost at my RB position. Thrilled with my WRs of course and can use them to either trade for a RB or just keep the depth and use my FAAB bucks when the opportunity arises. 

I think in both cases my team gets slightly better if only due to the glaring need I have at RB, but I am certainly not the winner in those trades. Do you guys think I should take one of those, or should I stand my ground and ride my elite pass catchers (and hopefully breakout QB!) until something breaks my way?

Question: was this a 12 man league? I was able to draft 3 if your players. I got Thielan is round 2 but I was able to snag James White in round 7 and I also got JJ in round 17 out of a 19 round draft. We have 10 man ppr. How James White fell as far as he did is beyond me

2 hours ago, Big C said:

DeAndre Hopkins

Adam Thielen

Zach Ertz

James White

Tyler Boyd

Juju (Keeper)

Darrell Henderson

Devin Singletary

Matt Brieda

Courtland Sutton

Josh Allen

Gus Edwards

Justin Tucker

Kelce and Ingram for juju and ertz is a steal in my opinion, take it. Kelce best te out there. Kelce>ertz and you need a running back and ingram will be a beast. Greg Roman's offense with a good o line 

22 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Despite your strength in wide receivers, I would not do Hopkins for Cook.  Hopkins is arguably the top WR while Cook hasn’t been able to stay on the fueld

What do you think about the other trade? Kelce and Ingram for Juju and Ertz?

On 8/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Question: was this a 12 man league? I was able to draft 3 if your players. I got Thielan is round 2 but I was able to snag James White in round 7 and I also got JJ in round 17 out of a 19 round draft. We have 10 man ppr. How James White fell as far as he did is beyond me

yes, 12 team.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, Brian3488 said:

Kelce and Ingram for juju and ertz is a steal in my opinion, take it. Kelce best te out there. Kelce>ertz and you need a running back and ingram will be a beast. Greg Roman's offense with a good o line 

Just to update you. I took this trade. Then I picked up Carlos Hyde on the wire and flipped him and Thielen for Juju back. 

So my net trade:

Thielen, Ertz and Hyde for Kelce and Ingram. I think this is a big win for me. 

My starting lineup is now:

QB: Josh Allen

WR: DeAndre Hopkins

WR: Juju Smith-Schuster

RB: Mark Ingram

RB: James White

Flex: Tyler Boyd

K: Justin Tucker

D/ST: Streaming but gonna start Buffalo for the first 3 weeks

Bench:

RB Matt Brieda

RB: Darrell Henderson

RB: Devin Singletary

RB: Nyheim Hines

WR: Courtland Sutton

WR: Tyrell Williams

Long season, but I REALLY like how my season is shaping up so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.