Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The premise is that each of those guys will not only command top dollar; it's that they'll be so indespensable that the Bills can't even consider letting them walk. I'm not too "worried" about that.

If I were to nitpick the list, I would say it's pretty unlikely Harrison Phillips is going to be some coveted big ticket FA. 

I guess the main point that I was trying to make is this: The Beane front office has stated over and over and over again that their preferred model is to draft, develop, and re-sign their own players. They've stated that free agency is for filling a few holes and supplementing the roster, but by and large, they want to build their team through the draft. With that in mind, the idea is that they will continue to be somewhat conservative with free agency dollars and large contracts, because they plan for the majority of their salary cap in the coming years to be devoted to the players that they themselves drafted. It may be optimistic on their part, sure, but no more optimistic than throwing big money at outside players via free agency or trade in the hopes that they live up to their giant contracts and acclimate to your system and all that type of stuff.

If you want to comb through the specific players I listed and pick out where I'm wrong, that's fine. My main point is that they have said six zillion times that they want to allocate most of their money to re-signing their own players. That's it. It doesn't mean they can't or won't go out and take an occasional swing. They've already made Morse the highest paid center in the NFL and given fairly big money to Lotulelei. I'm just saying that I don't think Beane wants the first mega contract of his tenure as GM to be handed out to an outside player with an injury history. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. For what it's worth, I agree with the notion that having a QB on a rookie contract opens a four or five year window during which you should be aggressive and upgrade the rest of your team. I'm just saying that doing that is not without consequence, and it can eventually result in you having you watch some of your own homegrown players walk away because you've already allocated big cap dollars to splash free agency or trade acquisitions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I guess the main point that I was trying to make is this: The Beane front office has stated over and over and over again that their preferred model is to draft, develop, and re-sign their own players. They've stated that free agency is for filling a few holes and supplementing the roster, but by and large, they want to build their team through the draft. With that in mind, the idea is that they will continue to be somewhat conservative with free agency dollars and large contracts, because they plan for the majority of their salary cap in the coming years to be devoted to the players that they themselves drafted. It may be optimistic on their part, sure, but no more optimistic than throwing big money at outside players via free agency or trade in the hopes that they live up to their giant contracts and acclimate to your system and all that type of stuff.

If you want to comb through the specific players I listed and pick out where I'm wrong, that's fine. My main point is that they have said six zillion times that they want to allocate most of their money to re-signing their own players. That's it. It doesn't mean they can't or won't go out and take an occasional swing. They've already made Morse the highest paid center in the NFL and given fairly big money to Lotulelei. I'm just saying that I don't think Beane wants the first mega contract of his tenure as GM to be handed out to an outside player with an injury history. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. For what it's worth, I agree with the notion that having a QB on a rookie contract opens a four or five year window during which you should be aggressive and upgrade the rest of your team. I'm just saying that doing that is not without consequence, and it can eventually result in you having you watch some of your own homegrown players walk away because you've already allocated big cap dollars to splash free agency or trade acquisitions.

Counterpoint would be that it's not that he hasn't handed out big contracts; see Morse/Star. Neither look particularly good at the moment, but that's beside the point. You'd be paying a guy like Clowney more dollars but at a comparable rate based on position.

Building through the draft is the best model for a team like the Bills. It's unlikely they'll ever be a popular FA destination. But there's a time and a place to make an exception to the rule.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Contract extensions are of very little concern for at least 2 years.

After 2019, the guys that are noteworthy UFA/RFAs are:

Shady

Gore

McKenzie

Spain

J. Phillips

Shaq

LorAx

Stanford

K. Johnson

Hauschka

Maybe you re-sign Gore. You can probably keep LorAx pretty easily since he'll either return or retire. Besides those guys, I can't imagine they spend any serious money on the rest.

Then, after 2020, you're looking at:

Barkely

DiMarco

Zay

Nsekhe

Feliciano

Dawkins

Murphy

Milano

Poyer

They'll probably want to keep Dawkins, Milano, and Poyer.  No real bank-breakers there.

Money is not an issue for this team.

THANNNNNNKKKKKK YYYYOOOOOUUUUU

Its amazing some of the other narratives going around.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the point is they could sign a player like Clowney to a big contract AND still resign much of the homegrown talent.... because most of the homegrown talent aren't close to the end of their contracts.

Do not forget that they will have their 2020 and 2021 first round picks to extend in the next 7 years too!    Oh no!  The cap ceiling is the floor again! ?

• Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Counterpoint would be that it's not that he hasn't handed out big contracts; see Morse/Star. Neither look particularly good at the moment, but that's beside the point. You'd be paying a guy like Clowney more dollars but at a comparable rate based on position.

Building through the draft is the best model for a team like the Bills. It's unlikely they'll ever be a popular FA destination. But there's a time and a place to make an exception to the rule.

I would agree to all the above

I do not feel now nor Clowney is the time  key player to splurge upon.
Mack ?

ALL Day and twice on sunday.

Edited by 3rdand12

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Within the next two seasons, the Bills will need to extend Tre'Davious White, Matt Milano, Jordan Poyer, and Dion Dawkins. Contracts for LTs and CBs don't tend to be cheap.

I'm not saying the above contract extension needs should preclude the Bills from handing out a big contract to a guy like Clowney. But people who pretend like the Bills will ALWAYS be flush with cash are silly. Yes, they have a lot of it now. They also have a young core that they quite like, and in order to retain all of them, big contracts are going to be required.

Tre'Davious White
Jordan Poyer
Tremaine Edmunds
Matt Milano
Ed Oliver
Harrison Phillips
Dion Dawkins
Josh Allen

Again, the need to extend these players shouldn't preclude them from signing other guys if they so choose right now. However, if their goal is to retain their own drafted talent, and knowing that they have upcoming CB, LT, QB, DL, and MLB extensions in order to keep the young core in place, it's not outlandish for them to prioritize remaining financially solvent and not necessarily handing out record setting contracts to outside players.

This excellent post illustrates how untenable the Bills salary cap situation is getting.    How does this keep happening????

Welp Beane got us out of salary cap hell once........good thing he plays a mean fiddle!    

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

38 pages and counting on a player the Bills aren’t getting.

There has been NOTHING in or around the club even remotely suggesting that the Bills are in on Clowney.

Don't forget the other 20+ page thread, too.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There’s a world where we keep Gilmore, draft Mahomes, and draft JuJu. ?. All 3 of those guys were all pros last year. 

And we'd be saying if only we got Tre and Allen, because we always want what other teams have. Our guys always stink.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Do not forget that they will have their 2020 and 2021 first round picks to extend in the next 7 years too!    Oh no!  The cap ceiling is the floor again! ?

I'd like to see them trade down as much as possible, at least until White, Edmunds, and Allen get paid. Accumulate a bunch of 4th round picks in both 2020 and 2021 to offset the risk that any of them become elite. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1