Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

In Buffalo, the atmosphere comes close to replicating the zaniness of college football. In Charlotte (which started as a back branch that kept growing until they legally had to call it a "city"), NFL football is just a distraction until college basketball season starts. 

It's a given that the football atmosphere is better in Buffalo...I've lived in both places (WNY and Charlotte)...Been to both Stadiums multiple times...Believe me I know...

But I'm not certain at all that really matters to Clowney...And where you live and play can trump atmosphere for any individual...Especially when you have the freedom to control your own destiny...?

Just now, mjt328 said:

If we can get Clowney for a 3rd Round Pick or less, I'm perfectly OK with that.  

That way if we lose him to Free Agency, we can possibly recoup high compensatory pick.

If we can get Clowney for a player (or combination of players) who may not be with the Bills in 2020-2021, I'm perfectly OK with that.

Those players probably won't be around if/when we become true Super Bowl contenders, so no big loss.

Anything that requires us to sacrifice a high future pick, or a young player who could help this team for years to come... in my opinion, that would be risky and foolish.  It's the type of move that would backfire on this franchise 9 times out of 10.

What about player(s) like McCoy/Nsekhe/Zay and a conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st if he is re-signed? I feel like the players aren't missed since they're older and/or redundant and losing the pick hurts just enough to make sense for me.

If Cowney walks in free agency you basically swap a 2nd for a 3rd for one year of Clowney (without going into franchise tag options).

If he stays, a huge need would be filled. The 1st round pick would probably be used on a pass rusher anyway. You never know how that player will turn out and how long it will take them to reach their prime. Clowney is more of a sure thing.

As for the salary difference, it doesn't matter much since Buffalo has plenty of space for the next couple of years. Hopefully Clowney's new deal would be front loaded, leaving more cap space to re-sign Allen/Edmunds/White. However, even with a big salary for Clowney there will be plenty of cap space to sign everyone.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Gaine being involved should give everyone a little bit of comfort.  Also, do we know of any players in this McDermott era that are clamoring to leave?  Even guys like Shady love it here.

Money speaks much more loudly than The Process.

What in Clowney’s past leads you to believe that he doesn’t value generation crossing security over everything else?

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I've watched plenty of Texans games.   I'm sorry, but the guy just doesn't stand-out much to me.

Yeah, I guess it isn't fair to judge him based on "sack numbers" alone.  My fault for bringing that up.

But at the same time, I'm not going to call him a superstar just because PFF gives him high grades.

Regardless of Clowney's talent, my main point still stands.  The Bills cannot sign him to a contract extension.  Which makes trading anything of significant value a HUGE risk.  If we trade a 1st Round Pick, and then he becomes a Free Agent, it would be considered one of the worst decisions in franchise history.

Your last para I agree with. 

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Money speaks much more loudly than The Process.

What in Clowney’s past leads you to believe that he doesn’t value generation crossing security over everything else?

Here's what I believe: he has a better chance of enhancing his value playing with a contending team with a defense his presence would make elite, than some pastel vacation destination. Maybe he stays or maybe not. As long as we don't trade the farm for him, I'm good. But if he wants to play elite defense, have a decent shot at the playoffs and maximize his free agent value, Buffalo is that team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Correct, but even if he “agrees” to a new potential deal it can’t be signed until after the season and if he decides that he no longer wants to be there - he can not sign what was “agreed” to. 

Also if he has a great season (or a miserable season”) the team or the player could change what was discussed.

No team can sign him and ensure that he is there longer year - they only know what the player is looking for in a potential contract.

I'm not completely sure about that.  The CBA appears to be "gray" on that point.  In my reading the July 15 clause pertains only to the relationship between the player and the "original" club - meaning that the player can't sign anything other than the franchise tender with the franchising club beyond July 15.  If, however, the player lands on another roster, then it doesn't look like the prohibition against an extension, etc., would apply to the player's relationship with his new club.  Maybe it's been arbitrated and a result contrary to my interpretation was reached - I don't have enough concern to look it up.  But I'm not convinced that Clowney couldn't sign long-term with a team other than the Texans to the extent he is traded while on his franchise tender. 

EDIT:  There also could be language elsewhere in the CBA pertinent to this point.  I read one paragraph somewhere b/w pages 44 and 51.  So to get a clear answer on this somebody would have to read the entire CBA (I assume there's an integration clause in the compact) and check any arbitration decisions on the topic. 

Edited by SectionC3

Just now, oldmanfan said:

How many guys that have had micro fracture surgery on their knee have gone onto great careers?

Good point.  I have not heard many people mention that, but he does seem to be healthy now.  

Just now, Logic said:

I know there isn't much else to discuss this far into the offseason, but 33 pages about a bogus "source" trumping up a vague rumor? Sheesh.

There really isn't anything else to discuss... 

As for the source, all sources are bogus until they're right. ;)

27 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Off the top of my head:

Reggie Bush

Marques Colston

Rod Woodson

Vontaze Burfict

Travis Kecle

Dan Marino

Melvin Gordon

Bruce Smith

1991(the lost season of his prime) and again in 1998 (played 6 more years).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

As a Raptors fan, I have a little bit of PTSD from Kawhi Leonard and his move to play at home right after winning a championship. I’m not sure if that’s going to become a pro athlete trend, but it’s terribly worrisome.

The only difference was it was not a secret and widely known the Kawhi wanted to play at home and it's why the Spurs were willing to trade him cause they knew they weren't re-signing him. Everyone knew he would end up playing in LA, he listened to other offers but there was almost no chance he wasn't going to play in LA unless LA didn't want him or another team gave in to some huge demands.

I don't think I have seen or heard any comments that Clowney wants to play closer to where he grew up. From what I have seen, he just doesn't want to play under the Tag and wants to go somewhere that will pay him with a long term deal.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Off the top of my head:

Reggie Bush

Marques Colston

Rod Woodson

Vontaze Burfict

Travis Kecle

Dan Marino

Melvin Gordon

I would argue wood son is the only one that was truly great.  Marino was of course but he never relied on movement.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

I recall "bogus rumors" about Watkins being traded prior to him actually being traded. 

Didn't John Wawrow claim there was nothing to the AB rumors(when there clearly was) at the time?  

When is the last time anyone in the local media has scooped anything like that?    Not blaming the local media for that........obviously a lot of what comes out is from other teams or agents........but the Bills choose to shut the locals out because the people in the front office have nothing to gain by giving them info.   They *might* have need for a national guy like Shefter later down the line in their careers.

The more I think about it, I am beginning to doubt this happens. I have a problem weakening our offense, which is this team's weak-link, to strengthen our already strong D for a single season. That's the type of move you make when you're contending this year and I don't think we are. If this had happened when there was a chance to re-sign him, it'd be a no-brainer.