Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, babulator said:

Can we give them Murphy & Yeldon, and /save game ? ?

Maybe if we don't specify which Murphy during the phone conversation, the Texans will accidentally assume Trent and then we can slip them Marcus for the official NFL transaction paper work.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Is this a backtrack or covering all bases?

Not a backtrack as far as I can tell. They had only previously heard about Bills and dolphins but another outlet reported eagles and Seahawks in addition to those two earlier today. They said they hadn’t heard about the latter two at that time. Now they are also hearing Seahawks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So does never stopping anyone in the red zone.

30th in the league in red zone scoring against in both points per red zone trip and touchdowns allowed per red zone trip.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef/2018

Interesting, useful stat and chart; thanks. That said, I think you’re cherry picking a bit because in the top chart, which covers everything, shows the Bills to good to great nearly across the entire board. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Hmmm, spending your contract year on a pretty good D line where you'd get minimal double teams and pad your numbers or spend it on a team where you will be the focus of every blocking scheme every week.

Also have a good chance of still playing after week 17 or watching games on the couch.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Why do we assume his tear down would be the same as his final moves on a rebuild?

what was his interest in Antonio brown?

Some people just assume all risky moves will back fire.

These Bills......like the rosters Rex had.........are close enough to be real contenders with a strong move or two for an impact player.

Slow builds whither and die in the NFL.

Compare the 2011 Broncos and Bills.    Bills had the better roster and totally manhandled the Broncos when Denver was fighting for a wildcard spot.     One team took the risk on Peyton Manning that offseason the other one stayed on the sideline and it's very likely that their fortunes were reversed by that one bold move.

I'm not directly comparing the impact of a DE to a great QB but the point is that the Bills have been in positions where their fortune would have been altered by one available player.

17 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

If I am Houston I am laughing at that offer. Give me Dawkins with a first or second and now the Bills are in the conversation. Not someone like Zay who has underperformed. Shady, over 30 yr old rb, who plays at a devalued position where you can find decent players post cutdown day.

Houston doesnt have a ton of leverage.  They have no intention of signing him to an extention.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Due to his contract situation, I think the most likely outcomes are that he signs the tender and plays for the Texans, or sits out the year. 

One way around the impasse is to trade him for conditional picks.  If he re-ups with the team that trades for him, the compensation is x, but if he leaves, the compensation is y.  Protects both teams. 

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

Yolo, the account you're quoting is less than a year old and has only ~5K followers. It really sounds like they're just making things up to get views.

I’m not sure it matters how old it is or how many followers they have have. They aren’t saying anything that hasn’t been talked about elsewhere, unless everyone is making up the same stuff. These guys actually had all the Jets GM drama way before it came down. That said, it is “report” and obviously no one needs to “believe” anything if they don’t want to. 

8 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Sort of sounds like the Bills may be that team that he's not totally against but not his first choice

He has reportedly already nixed a Miami trade but they keep coming back 

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not a backtrack as far as I can tell. They had only previously heard about Bills and dolphins but another outlet reported eagles and Seahawks in addition to those two earlier today. They said they hadn’t heard about the latter two at that time. Now they are also hearing Seahawks. 

I just don't understand a move like this from Seattle.  They had Frank Clark in house who was more productive than Clowney, in the same contract situation as Clowney, and they traded Clark away rather than watch him walk next year and get nothing for him because they didn't have the cap space to extend him.   Clowney isn't going to be any cheaper than Clark would have been.

I don't think Seattle is in play.  I'd be more worried about the Eagles if they are making a serious run at Clowney.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

10 minutes ago, QCity said:

Yolo, the account you're quoting is less than a year old and has only ~5K followers. It really sounds like they're just making things up to get views.

Not to mention that the guy's full time gig is being a communication manager at Travelers Insurance in Connecticut.   Doh!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-cannata-74613a8a

https://muckrack.com/matthew-cannata/articles

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/contact-pro-football-network/

Edited by Lurker
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure it matters how old it is or how many followers they have have. They aren’t saying anything that hasn’t been talked about elsewhere, unless everyone is making up the same stuff. These guys actually had all the Jets GM drama way before it came down. That said, it is “report” and obviously no one needs to “believe” anything if they don’t want to. 

He has reportedly already nixed a Miami trade but they keep coming back 

Yes he does control his destination.  He doesn't get traded until he agrees to terms with a new team.  Or, I suppose he could sign the tender and get flipped thereafter.  But there's more value for him and for the Texans if he's moved with a contract in place.  He will not be a one-and-done player for his new team. 

The thing I haven't seen mentioned is that we recently hired the former Texans GM, who is big Clowney backer and who theoretically knows Clowney's financial goals and the trade market for Clowney as of a little before the draft IIRC.  We should have the inside track on this player.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I just don't understand a move like this from Seattle.  They had Frank Thomas in house who was more productive than Clowney, in the same contract situation as Clowney, and they traded Thomas away rather than watch him walk next year and get nothing for him because they didn't have the cap space to extend him.   Clowney isn't going to be any cheaper than Thomas would have been.

I don't think Seattle is in play.  I'd be more worried about the Eagles if they are making a serious run at Clowney.

The Big Hurt? That “man boost” stuff of his really works!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I just don't understand a move like this from Seattle.  They had Frank Thomas in house who was more productive than Clowney, in the same contract situation as Clowney, and they traded Thomas away rather than watch him walk next year and get nothing for him because they didn't have the cap space to extend him.   Clowney isn't going to be any cheaper than Thomas would have been.

The Eagles have a complete team, and a franchise QB.  The Bills don't.

By the way, while you were watching the game on Friday, did you wear a Hockenson jersey?

Edited by Cornette's Commentary

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Houston doesnt have a ton of leverage.  They have no intention of signing him to an extention.

There will be plenty of suitors. If the Bills can pull off Clowney for Zay Jones or Shady props to Beane for fleecing another team.

• Like (+1) 1