Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

I wouldn’t expect Beane to be actively working out a deal today if one were to go down.  I would assume he’s made his offer and it’s up to Houston to come to the table, if interested.   Could be a few offers to choose from, but I don’t get the sense from how he operates that he’d be locked up in the war room actively negotiating like something out of a movie. 

Edited by SCBills

We have a glut at WR and need to get value via trade over cutting someone

J Brown

C Beasley

Z Jones

R Foster

I McKenzie

D Williams

A. Roberts

They are all worthy of a roster spot, and would immediately be snapped up by another team if they are cut.  We can only keep 6.  Either Zay, Foster or McKenzie should be involved in a deal.  Texans need a solid 2WR or slot guy.

We have a glut at RB.  While I am in the minority in thinking the Bills should trade Shady, I would be OK with including him in a deal for Clowney.  Although he's 31, that's a big piece for a win now franchise, and should limit the additoinal compensation.  Texans need a solid RB.

I also see Shaq as an extra piece in any deal.

So any deal involving one of our middle WR, RB, and Shaq without giving up draft pick compensation would be a win for us.  That is, if we can sign Clowney long term.

I'm against dealing anything less than a 4 in any package.  Our draft collateral is too important, and there are other pieces that can make up the difference.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I wouldn’t expect Beane to be actively working out a deal today if one were to go down.  I would assume he’s made his offer and it’s up to Houston to come to the table, if interested.   Could be a few offers to choose from, but I don’t get the sense from how he operates that he’d be locked up in the war room actively negotiating like something out of a movie. 

According to JW don't expect to hear anything today.

Beane is like Ft Knox when it comes to leaks.  It wouldn't surprise me if the trade pieces are already established, and the ball is in Clowney's court (OBrien reference) as to him signing an extension with the trade team.  That team could very well be the Bills.

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This my offer yesterday when I was posting on this....anything more and its a bad deal because there are no guarantee's he even signs with us

McCoy....we have protected ourself here with Gore....drafting singletary....can keep Yeldon....and maybe even give our rugby player a chance

Zay.....he might get cut anyway.....but our CFL player Duke can fill that void

4th round pick

Anything more then that Miami can have him and watch him walk at the end of the year

How is Zay, McCoy, and a 3rd a bad deal? 

Its probably still too low, but it’s great value for even just one year of Clowney.

and that’s before you consider the possibility of getting a 3rd rd comp pick if he does leave.

1 minute ago, dezertbill said:

Beane is like Ft Knox when it comes to leaks.  It wouldn't surprise me if the trade pieces are already established, and the ball is in Clowney's court (OBrien reference) as to him signing an extension with the trade team.  That team could very well be the Bills.

From what I understand, he can not sign an extension......only the franchise 1 year deal

44 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Isn't Clowney the guy who quit on his college team his final season so he wouldn't get hurt and cost himself money in the NFL ?

If traded to the Bills would he quit on this team so he doesn't get hurt and cost himself a big payday next year "cough Jairus Byrd cough" ?

Absolute idiotic comment.  If you could sit out and train and guarantee yourself 60 million dollars over playing for free and maybe having a devastating injury you would do the same damn thing

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I wouldn’t expect Beane to be actively working out a deal today if one were to go down.  I would assume he’s made his offer and it’s up to Houston to come to the table, if interested.   Could be a few offers to choose from, but I don’t get the sense from how he operates that he’d be locked up in the war room actively negotiating a deal with the Texans. 

I think he should be on a burner phone, tampering for all he’s worth!  ?

That’s the hard part, you can’t give up what he’d be worth if you knew you could sign him long term......because you have NO WAY of knowing that. Can they have permission to talk to his agent? Do they know with any certainty what the parameters would look like? 

30 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I only post citing people whom I trust and are in a position to know.

One more thing: If Brandon Beane was so busy involved in all these trade talks, why did he spent a good half hour doing one on one interviews with a whole host of reporters following practice today?

jw

Thanks John for the reply :)

Great question, my guess to an answer would be simple.  And don’t mean this rudely, just answering your question.

I would assume you don’t sit on the phone 24/7 to facilitate a trade.  Making a trade doesn’t require someone to be at a desk and phone all hours of the day.  Not really hard in my mind to assume he is capable of answering some questions or doing some other things throughout a day while a trade may be brewing.  I mean at that point a trade may already be agreed to, or an offer may be on table and waiting for response, etc etc.  And there is more than Beane who can field an inbound call too for an update if it comes in while he’s in a press conference.

So for me, talking to reporters for a half hour has no real impact on the validity of a possible trade.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s likely, I’m doubtful a trades happening too.  Just was answering your question :)

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

If we got him we could still franchise him after the year anyways 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks John for the reply :)

Great question, my guess to an answer would be simple.  And don’t mean this rudely, just answering your question.

I would assume you don’t sit on the phone 24/7 to facilitate a trade.  Making a trade doesn’t require someone to be at a desk and phone all hours of the day.  Not really hard in my mind to assume he is capable of answering some questions or doing some other things throughout a day while a trade may be brewing.  I mean at that point a trade may already be agreed to, or an offer may be on table and waiting for response, etc etc.  And there is more than Beane who can field an inbound call too for an update if it comes in while he’s in a press conference.

So for me, talking to reporters for a half hour has no real impact on the validity of a possible trade.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s likely, I’m doubtful a trades happening too.  Just was answering your question :)

Also, there are things called cell phones.

Marvel of modern technology.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

From what I understand, he can not sign an extension......only the franchise 1 year deal

That’s what I thought, and therefore someone is going to have to show some trust in working this whole thing out. 

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This my offer yesterday when I was posting on this....anything more and its a bad deal because there are no guarantee's he even signs with us

McCoy....we have protected ourself here with Gore....drafting singletary....can keep Yeldon....and maybe even give our rugby player a chance

Zay.....he might get cut anyway.....but our CFL player Duke can fill that void

4th round pick

Anything more then that Miami can have him and watch him walk at the end of the year

Yep Reason I send this package. 

McCoy - Last year of his deal. He is gone next year anyway. Singletary proved enough this camp that he will be fine as a rookie so I have no issue going with him as the top Back and Gore as his handcuff 

Zay - he is redundant on this roster at this point. I was going to toss Foster (and Texans May want Foster instead) but Zay has topped out. He is what he is. Foster there still is some growth there. 

The 4th - because This will get upgraded to a 3rd coming back to the Bills IF Clowney doesn’t re-sign and hits UFA and some team signs him to that mega deal via Compensatory. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s what I thought, and therefore someone is going to have to show some trust in working this whole thing out. 

I bet we talk numbers with his agent before a trade is finalized and we always have the ability to tag again 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep Reason I send this package. 

McCoy - Last year of his deal. He is gone next year anyway. Singletary proved enough this camp that he will be fine as a rookie so I have no issue going with him as the top Back and Gore as his handcuff 

Zay - he is redundant on this roster at this point. I was going to toss Foster (and Texans May want Foster instead) but Zay has topped out. He is what he is. Foster there still is some growth there. 

The 4th - because This will get upgraded to a 3rd coming back to the Bills IF Clowney doesn’t re-sign and hits UFA and some team signs him to that mega deal via Compensatory. 

Clowney can be a ROLE PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

5 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

I bet we talk numbers with his agent before a trade is finalized and we always have the ability to tag again 

If we can talk numbers, great. But it is still not a contract and why I say someone needs to show some trust. I’d like to be able to control the structure of the contract to help the teams cap, and avoid having to use the tag two years in a row. I want a guy who’s happy to be here, not a guy whose happiness we have to buy on unfriendly terms. 

I’ll trust them to be smart and do what they think is best. 

22 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Absolute idiotic comment.  If you could sit out and train and guarantee yourself 60 million dollars over playing for free and maybe having a devastating injury you would do the same damn thing

Those were questions not comments ... idiot.