Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

I’m with you on not giving up a first round pick. Next draft will be loaded with WR’s in the first and we need one. Having said that, I’m on board with what some of the vet posters here are saying - mid round pick and player(s). 

Another aspect to think about is Brady. We HAVE to invest heavily in our D as there is no way we will match NE’s offense until he retires or falls off the cliff. That could be another 2-3 years. 

Well, that’s just a way of saying we need to get better in all phases. Right now the biggest bang for our bucks would be to add an impact WR or TE (yeah we added to both positions in the offseason, but nobody resembling a big impact player). Clowney would improve pretty much any team, but for the Bills it’s more likely to vault is into Texans territory - a one and done playoff team at best - while shortening our window for becoming a true competitor. 

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Absolutely. The notion that Zay Jones, Shaq, and a mid round pick will get it done is pretty absurd. No chance that's the highest bidder. I suspect it may very well have to be a first for the Bills considering the tradeable assets they (don't) have. As D4D pointed out, the worst case scenario PR wise is that he doesn't want to come here. That would suck.

Zay, Murph, Foster, Yeldon are more than a collection of players.  NFL personnel people will not approach this as out of kilter optimists or pessimists.  They will consider the previously mentioned players at a price and will consider that given the waiver system they will have to let these same players be considered by more than 20 different teams.  Also, there is a sticking point in terms of Clowney and the Texans which dampens the value of Clowney.  Not saying that it is going to happen but if it does I think it will fall in the middle with a few players that will get cut and a medium to high draft pick.

OMQKTB5JTNBS3OBESHOJUTZY5Y.jpg

Jadeveon Clowney watch: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue a trade?

Let’s start with the biggest obstacle in a trade for Clowney.

The Texans placed the franchise tag on him back on March 4 and failed to reach a multiyear deal with him by the July 15 deadline. That means any team that trades for the pass rusher will be getting him on just a one-year deal with no guarantee he’ll sign long term.

It’ll likely cost a high end draft pick to acquire Clowney, whose injury history reads like a horror movie fan’s greatest hits. He’s underwent a knee surgery in

three of his five NFL seasons, had a lisfranc injury in 2015 and a sports hernia surgery in 2014.

But the Bills under Beane haven’t shied away from players with an injury history. The third-year GM has showed a willingness to pursue a big trade (see Antonio Brown saga) if it’s something that makes his team better.

In every glimpse Beane has provided into the philosophy of team building since he arrived in Buffalo, he has made it clear that he values his draft capital and fundamentally believes that great teams are built through the draft.

The Texans reportedly want a wide receiver and/or offensive line help in a deal for Clowney. It just so happens that the Bills have a few potential options to make a deal work (tackle Ty Nsekhe and receiver Zay Jones come to mind - if you’re willing to part with them).

Making the Bills an even more likely trade partner is Houston’s situation at running back. Starter Lamar Miller suffered a torn ACL on Saturday in a preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys.

Bills running back LeSean McCoy is on the last year of his deal and could be the perfect last-minute option for the Texans, who are in the mix for the AFC title this season.

Houston coach Bill O’Brien said on Saturday that any trade has to bring value to his team.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Isn't Clowney the guy who quit on his college team his final season so he wouldn't get hurt and cost himself money in the NFL ?

If traded to the Bills would he quit on this team so he doesn't get hurt and cost himself a big payday next year "cough Jairus Byrd cough" ?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

That team was not anywhere near as talented.  Clowney makes the Bill's a legit top 5 defense and contender for best defense in the NFL.  

Weren't we a "legit top 5 defense" and a "contender for the best defense in the NFL" last year without him!?!?

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Isn't Clowney the guy who quit on his college team his final season so he wouldn't get hurt and cost himself money in the NFL ?

If traded to the Bills would he quit on this team so he doesn't get hurt and cost himself a big payday next year "cough Jairus Byrd cough" ?

That is a legit concern. And we've seen players to into protection mode in their FA years (I'm looking at you, Stephon Gilmore). 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

There will be another thread next week, and another for every week until the trade deadline passes. Bunch of hot air with nothing substantial. I'll believe it when I see it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they are talking but if talks are going on this long you have to wonder how far apart are they. If there was immense interest I would suspect it’d be boom boom and done already.

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

No one would trade for him unless he signs a contract. 

5 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

HIs injuries and less than eye popping sack stats would suggest he needs to have a "contract" season this year.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks John, always appreciate your posts.  Couple follow up questions

1. Is this person someone that for sure would know in the first place, or is it possible Beane is working on this and source wouldn't necessarily know yet?
  2. Lets assume he would definitely know, wouldn't it make more sense for them to say no at this stage since its not done?  Or would this person always tell you the true answer no matter what?

Just curious to the weight of their response...thanks again John!

I only post citing people whom I trust and are in a position to know.

One more thing: If Brandon Beane was so busy involved in all these trade talks, why did he spent a good half hour doing one on one interviews with a whole host of reporters following practice today?

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, aceman_16 said:

Weren't we a "legit top 5 defense" and a "contender for the best defense in the NFL" last year without him!?!?

Top 5 sure.  When you discuss the best defenses last year Buffalo wasnt the top of many lists.  They weren't a dominant Defense.  The Bears Defense was in a similar place as ours.  Enter Mack and they went to another level.  Clowney isnt that, but he would have a similar impact for the overall team.  The team is lacking a disrupter.  Clowney is that.  Run or Pass Clowney has the ability to blow up either one.

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Zay, Murph, Foster, Yeldon are more than a collection of players.  NFL personnel people will not approach this as out of kilter optimists or pessimists.  They will consider the previously mentioned players at a price and will consider that given the waiver system they will have to let these same players be considered by more than 20 different teams.  Also, there is a sticking point in terms of Clowney and the Texans which dampens the value of Clowney.  Not saying that it is going to happen but if it does I think it will fall in the middle with a few players that will get cut and a medium to high draft pick.

Zay and Foster could both potentially be cut. Murphy is mostly known for being injured. ANYONE could have signed Yeldon in the offseason if they thought he was someone they'd be willing to trade for. Shaq and maybe Foster are the two guys in the discussion that I could see providing trade value. I could see a team intrigued by Foster's big play ability and Shaq is a "proven" commodity with SOME upside. But you never know how another team views these players. Maybe they think Zay just hasn't had a QB. Maybe they think Murphy is a stud. I doubt it, but it's theoretically possible.