Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have had a love and hate relationship with this trade idea throughout the offseason.  But...fast forward to today, and I am really for it now that we have seen everything shake out so far with camp and preseason.

1. Adding him to this DL would instantly make this defense one of the best in the league, something that could help carry us deep into the playoffs.  We still have great defensive potential without him, but with him it just seems like a certainty.  
  2. We have WR's to spare if Houston truly wants a WR in this deal, and Zay or Foster would make easy sense here with guys like Duke and McKenzie having strong preseasons.  Personally, I think Zay might make more sense for Houston in terms of the type of WR and more versatile WR Zay is.
  3. Singletary is too good to keep off the field and Yeldon has really played well in the preseason.  We flat out have a log jam at RB, sending them McCoy makes a lot of sense for both teams at this point.  
  4. Adding Clowney means we can also easily include Shaq or Murphy if they want to get back a DE too.  

Send them a 4th round pick plus McCoy, Zay, and either Shaq or Murphy.

I would love this trade!

Oakland got 2 1st round picks for Khalil Mack....

Not saying Clowney is Mack, But I’d assume they may get at least 1 1st round pick. At least more than a 4th. 

Zay Jones and a 1st for the #1 overall pick in 2014 draft would sound more acceptable. If not it may have to be Zay and a 2020 & 2021 2nd.

But sending them players they know are expendable on our team and a 4th will never happen. Zay has 1 year remaining, Shaq on last year.... Shady last year and a 4th? Nope

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Not saying Clowney is Mack, But I’d assume they may get at least 1 1st round pick. At least more than a 4th. 

Zay Jones and a 1st for the #1 overall pick in 2014 draft would sound more acceptable. If not it may have to be Zay and a 2020 & 2021 2nd.

But sending them players they know are expendable on our team and a 4th will never happen. Zay has 1 year remaining, Shaq on last year.... Shady last year and a 4th? Nope

Absolutely. The notion that Zay Jones, Shaq, and a mid round pick will get it done is pretty absurd. No chance that's the highest bidder. I suspect it may very well have to be a first for the Bills considering the tradeable assets they (don't) have. As D4D pointed out, the worst case scenario PR wise is that he doesn't want to come here. That would suck.

McBeane's draft grade? A (and that's particularly true when you add in undrafted free agents).

Trade/Free Agent acquisition grade? Well, in the first two years, I haven't been impressed. Kelvin Benjamin. Corey Coleman. Patrick DiMarco. Trent Murphy. Star Lutoleli.  Russell Bodine. Poyer and Hyde are the huge exceptions, but that's a lot more misses than hits. So I'm skeptical of the merits of any Clowney deal. Plus it just doesn't seem that the timing is right. This team is not on the brink of a Super Bowl by any means, and Clowney's salary will be huge, so giving up talent (current and in future drafts) for him seems a bad idea. Pass.

• Like (+1) 1

If the price is a first round draft choice, then no thanks.  His value is not that high given his contract situation.  (A new contract cannot be negotiated until after this year) It is very possible he is gone after one year, two if you franchise him again at a ridiculous price.  This is not worth a number 1.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That certainly has happened.  In fact, of the last 25 Super Bowls 5 have been won that way.  Four #1 defenses and one #2 defense with average or worse offenses won.  But only one of those happened in the last 1O years - the 2015 Broncos with the #1 defense.  That’s probably because of the somewhat recent rule changes.

I’d love to have a dominant defense, but a quality offense is more important than ever in the NFL.  On that note, the Bills defense was plenty good last season.  Still, I am all for getting Clowney if it doesn’t substantially hinder our ability to improve our offense.  I don’t want to see a first round pick as part of the package.

As for where our offense stands, I do think they’ll be lucky to be average.  I expect them to be a little below.  Much more needs done there. 

And with that 2015 Broncos team, it wasnt just an average offense per se, it was one with Peyton Manning at the helm. Albeit a diminished Manning, but one that still had the field awareness & game management as him.

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Hasn’t it been established this isn’t a real thing?

There will be another thread next week, and another for every week until the trade deadline passes. Bunch of hot air with nothing substantial. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think there is pretty decent Clowney is a Bill by the  end of the day. They are one of two teams mentioned and Clowney rumored to not want to go to Miami. He controls the situation, remember, because he can’t be traded until he signs his franchise tender. 

My wife thanks you.

She's gonna get it good tonight.

Wish I were gonna be there.

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I just hope everyone understands that there is a 1% chance this deal happens. Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

*In my best Schopp voice*

..................... ok................................................ So why are eggs only served at breakfast as a single item??

Don't they belong on the lunch and dinner menu as much as bacon? 

Edited by The Wiz

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That certainly has happened.  In fact, of the last 25 Super Bowls 5 have been won that way.  Four #1 defenses and one #2 defense with average or worse offenses won.  But only one of those happened in the last 1O years - the 2015 Broncos with the #1 defense.  That’s probably because of the somewhat recent rule changes.

I’d love to have a dominant defense, but a quality offense is more important than ever in the NFL.  On that note, the Bills defense was plenty good last season.  Still, I am all for getting Clowney if it doesn’t substantially hinder our ability to improve our offense.  I don’t want to see a first round pick as part of the package.

As for where our offense stands, I do think they’ll be lucky to be average.  I expect them to be a little below.  Much more needs done there. 

I’m with you on not giving up a first round pick. Next draft will be loaded with WR’s in the first and we need one. Having said that, I’m on board with what some of the vet posters here are saying - mid round pick and player(s). 

Another aspect to think about is Brady. We HAVE to invest heavily in our D as there is no way we will match NE’s offense until he retires or falls off the cliff. That could be another 2-3 years. 

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

*In my best Schopp voice*

..................... ok................................................ So why are eggs only served at breakfast as a single item??

Oh hell yeah!  Are we doing an egg draft?!?!  I’m in!

#1 draft pick - over easy. 

Edited by Bockeye

18 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

for a 1 year rental? no way. if he was able to negotiate, yes, sure but he can't so.....

16 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Texans don’t have the leverage that you are implying here IMO.  And Clowney is no Mack either as you alluded too.

Texans have a need at RB, WR and DE (if they trade Clowney).  Those 3 players are better value than they are likely finding on the scrap heap for what they hope is a SB run this year.  

I think that offer could work, and I also think it’s possible it may need to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick too.

But most importantly the major difference is Mack could be signed to a deal, Clowney can’t until next year and that’s great risk to who trades for him.  Chicago traded so much for Mack knowing he was going to there 5 years.  

So IMO, you are over valuing Clowney in comparison and under estimating the lack of leverage Houston has.  All we need to do is beat the best offers of other teams as Houston has no leverage other than potential competing bids.  

• Like (+1) 2