Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

If the Texans bite, they must have one player that really interests them. Just trying to figure out who it is. Lawson and Yeldon? They would make sense...fills two voids.

I like Rocket's thinking. If we could swing a deal without a subtraction from our team in another area, that would be great:

Shaq: Texans would need to fill Clowney's DE spot. Shaq is a very solid DE (just not a great pass rusher), former 1st rounder. And for the Bills, we wouldn't need him with Clowney here and most likely they're letting Shaq walk at the end of the year anyhow. So we don't lose anything.

Yeldon: They need RB help with Miller going down. Johnson and Yeldon could be a decent backfield. He's on our bubble and even if he makes the team, probably wouldn't play much barring injuries.

McKenzie: They want a third receiver. They don't need a stud (they have Hopkins), they do need a slot receiver with KeKe Coutee injured with an ankle. Plus he brings return help on special teams. Again McKenzie is on the bubble for us. So, we're fine without him.

I know it's not a popular opinion right now, but I think losing players like McCoy and Zay hurts our team for this year. We'd gain DE help, but lose talent at two other positions. Guys who look to be playing a lot for us this year.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I'm all for the Clowney trade if we aren't giving up a first, maybe a 2nd.  Clowney would give us the opportunity to possibly have a rare elite defense in this day in the NFL.  The Jags a couple years ago and the Broncos the year they won the Bowl are the only teams I remember recently with an elite level D.  In a year where Luck just retired and a 42 Brady can hit the wall at any time, the Bills could be a legit force.  A playoff birth this season would go a long way for Beane and McDermott's job security.  Go get him.

I wonder if McBeane feel the same way. I suspect if they knew that their first round pick would give them an opportunity to have a rare elite defense, they’d gladly make that pick. What’s the difference between making that pick now vs. later? 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Whats the commonality? Or is it paying anyone that worries you?

The commonality is the motivation- I am going from college days but he disappeared in games when he seemed not interested. 100 million needs to be big impact all the time.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The commonality is the motivation- I am going from college days but he disappeared in games when he seemed not interested. 100 million needs to be big impact all the time.

Sinking huge money into a guy like this at this position is foolish.

Will not change the wins and losses picture.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wonder if McBeane feel the same way. I suspect if they knew that their first round pick would give them an opportunity to have a rare elite defense, they’d gladly make that pick. What’s the difference between making that pick now vs. later? 

If you make the trade, you’re operating under the assumption Clowney A) Signs here long term and B) Helps lead us to the Playoffs.  

That first round pick is then in the 20’s.  

You cant build a contender by playing it safe all the time.  You draft well and structure smart contracts to make moves like this.  

Id be ok with a 1 for Clowney, but I’d be surprised if that’s what it took given he can only wink wink a long term commitment. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

His sophomore year he had either a sack or forced a turnover in 10 out of 12 games.

in the other two he had 3 tfl and then a tfl w/ 2 PDs

i suspect motivation questions are protecting his body when being forced to play for free questions 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, folz said:

I like Rocket's thinking. If we could swing a deal without a subtraction from our team in another area, that would be great:

Shaq: Texans would need to fill Clowney's DE spot. Shaq is a very solid DE (just not a great pass rusher), former 1st rounder. And for the Bills, we wouldn't need him with Clowney hear and most likely they're letting Shaq walk at the end of the year anyhow. So we don't lose anything.

Yeldon: They need RB help with Miller going down. Johnson and Yeldon could be a decent backfield. He's on our bubble and even if he makes the team, probably wouldn't play much barring injuries.

McKenzie: They want a third receiver. They don't need a stud (they have Hopkins), they do need a slot receiver with KeKe Coutee injured with an ankle. Plus he brings return help on special teams. Again McKenzie is on the bubble for us. So, we're fine without him.

I know it's not a popular opinion right now, but I think losing players like McCoy and Zay hurts our team for this year. We'd gain DE help, but lose talent at two other positions. Guys who look to be playing a lot for us this year.

You could be right with Lawson...contract year coming up, so Texans get a good player. Yeldon? maybe. McKenzie? Maybe. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

I just don’t get why the dolphins would get him when they’re seemingly tearing it down?

Because most people don’t plan a 5 year turnaround like many here discuss as the plan. They can flip this year and plan to compete in what could be a wide open division in 2020 pretty easily as an expectation 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

We are trimming players at a few positions that will likely by signed by other teams.  Might as well get something out of them and if we can sign Clowney long term that is a bonus.  

But if we pay Clowney long term, what does that mean for extending Edmunds in a couple years? I can’t see the Bills FO throwing that much money at one area of the team. Oh well, it’s not my money.

Edited by skibum

Just now, skibum said:

But if we pay Clowney long term, what does that mean for extending Edmunds in a couple years? I can’t see the Bills FO throwing that much money at one area of the team.

Won’t Hughes be coming off the books then?

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think it will be Shady & Zay for Clowney. Having him line up opposite Jerry would be huge. He's only 26 and his best years are ahead. 

It also would send a hell of a message to 52 other guys about immediate expectations. 

This is isn’t a compete for a wild card move. This is a go for a championship move 

• Like (+1) 1