Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

If this goes down...I will EXPECT this team to make the playoffs even if the offense doesn't make big strides. He's the missing piece to what could be an ELITE defense; the kind of defense capable of swinging the balance of 2-3 games. There's a big difference between keeping the team in the game and swinging the balance.

The best way to beat the top QB's is to get in their face early and often. The current roster construction leaves something to be desired in that aspect. 

Considering how much I want to see it happen, I fully expect it NOT to happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nothing more than conjecture. I’d send them 2-3 of Lawson/McCoy/Yeldon/Zay. And a conditional draft pick that disappears if he doesn’t resign. 

If the Texans bite, they must have one player that really interests them. Just trying to figure out who it is. Lawson and Yeldon? They would make sense...fills two voids.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Trent Murphy or Shaq Lawson, Zay Jones, and an 2020 early Day 3 pick works for me.

I think Murphy, Zay, and a third player along with a late 2020 pick that maybe improves if Clowney hits certain production and recognition levels such as All Pro.  

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think there is pretty decent Clowney is a Bill by the  end of the day. They are one of two teams mentioned and Clowney rumored to not want to go to Miami. He controls the situation, remember, because he can’t be traded until he signs his franchise tender. 

I am still not sure how I feel about this.  On the surface, I would love to have him because he is a damn good football player, but once you factor in injury history, desired salary, etc, it starts to feel like a bad fit.  That being said, I trust Beane and McDermott to make the right call.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF McBeane was to pull the trigger, would you expect him to have a long term deal in place first or just gamble a pick on a one year rental?....he's a shrewd dude IMO...

I think he would have a placeholder deal in mind for both sides. But no guarantee he will sign and can’t sign now, so if Houston is willing I would make the draft pick conditional to him signing do lessen the risk. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I am having flashbacks of Mario Williams we all wanted him here so bad and I don't think he really did much hope we don't end up in the same situation

Double digit sacks in his first three years here, I'd say he did his part. Rex comes in and totally wrecks everything

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF McBeane was to pull the trigger, would you expect him to have a long term deal in place first or just gamble a pick on a one year rental?....he's a shrewd dude IMO...

I don't think the Bills can have a deal in place with his tag situation. It would have to be a wink wink type deal that could not be signed until next year. 

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Would he re-sign in Miami?  

In sure they could send Tunsil to Houston but why would Clowney want to re-up with that dumpster fire of a team.  

No QB, no talent & locker room unrest... sounds fun. 

He might resign in Miami. No income tax in Florida. 

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am still not sure how I feel about this.  On the surface, I would love to have him because he is a damn good football player, but once you factor in injury history, desired salary, etc, it starts to feel like a bad fit.  That being said, I trust Beane and McDermott to make the right call.

This is exactly where I am on the situation...no guarantees of signing him next year.  And if we do, we don’t know if he is the type of player who will check out, like Darius, once he got the big contract.  Part of the reason I like the strategy of drafting, and then paying our own.

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Clowney is still only 26, and he has overcome the injuries. The Bills need to capitalize on opportunities when the window is open. Clowney is a proven player and he blends well with the Bills young nucleus. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

if it’s another WR the Texans are after, that leads me to believe that Buffalo is NOT a front runner to land Clowney.  I’m guessing they want a proven established producer, but I can’t see the Bills trading Beasley or Brown (unless we don’t have to throw in much more). Maybe I’m wrong.

I had the same thought originally but if it's us or Miami it's not like their receiving corps is any better. I think Zay or Foster, Shaq, and a 2nd or 3rd makes this happen.

• Like (+1) 1