Buffalo Bills will be losing NFL-caliber talent at running back this week

Image result for tj yeldon

The Bills have a solid stable of running backs.

By Matt Warren Aug 25, 2019, 12:00pm EDT
  •  

The Buffalo Bills have some serious talent at running back, and they are going to have to move on from NFL-caliber players from the position this week in a numbers crunch as the final 53-man roster is decided.

Heading into the offseason with LeSean McCoy, Chris Ivory, and Marcus Murphy, we knew they would add some players to the mix after a down year for Shady. Buffalo did that and then some, completely overhauling the position and adding a ton of talent.

The Bills added Frank Gore to the mix first, which led to the release of Ivory. Buffalo had two experienced backs and Murphy, who played okay in limited work in 2018. Even then, we knew they would add bodies to the position for the offseason, but Buffalo didn’t just add training-camp fodder.

The next guy on the docket was T.J. Yeldon. Yeldon has had a solid NFL career as a complementary back, especially as a receiver out of the backfield, and adding him to the mix felt like the final piece to the puzzle. A mid-20s back to possibly take the mantle from the old guys next year.

The bombshell came in the 2019 NFL Draft, when Buffalo didn’t just use a pick on a running back, they used a third-round pick to select a running back. Devin Singletary is clearly the future, but now Buffalo has a logjam at running back.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/25/20831890/buffalo-bills-running-back-roster-cuts-lesean-mccoy-trade-frank-gore-devin-singletary-tj-yeldon

Edited by HOUSE

This happens to most teams at this time of year.

I was watching a Houston game the other day, and their announcers were going on about how they have FIVE tight ends who are all good and they were discussing how someone out there is going to get a great TE off their cut list.

I think this happens, to an extent, by accident.

Teams get lucky with a buildup of talent at a given position.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Nextmanup said:

This happens to most teams at this time of year.

I was watching a Houston game the other day, and their announcers were going on about how they have FIVE tight ends who are all good and they were discussing how someone out there is going to get a great TE off their cut list.

True, buts it pretty rare when the Bills do it. I also think NFL ready guys at DL, LB, OL & WR will hit the open market from us.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Shady

Gore

Singletary

Yeldon

If we keep those guys, as I think we should, who are we cutting that’s a big deal?  Murphy and Perry?  Eh.  Wade? I doubt anyone signs him to their 53. 

I think Murphy can really help a lot of teams out there. It would be nice to get something for him instead of a release.

I figure every team in the league will be dumping one or two.Could be as many as 40 on the  market. This is why I believe Wade will go un claimed.

Teams are looking for special teams/ RBs. I don't think Wade can do that...

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I figure every team in the league will be dumping one or two. This is why I believe Wade will go un claimed.

That truly is a tough one. Is this why he didn't get any work the other night? He is somewhere near his ceiling and floor. Which is closest is hard to say. That said, who would you cut that you shouldn't to keep him on the 53? Especially when you may be able to put him on the PS.Should they run the crap out of him Thursday?

Edited by fansince88

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Shady

Gore

Singletary

Yeldon

If we keep those guys, as I think we should, who are we cutting that’s a big deal?  Murphy and Perry?  Eh.  Wade? I doubt anyone signs him to their 53. 

As we've seen RB'S  get injured too easily.  This should be the 4 we keep. I like Murphy but he was gone as soon as we drafted Devin. Besides Gore and McCoy will be gone next year. Wade will be the 11th PS guy.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

True, buts it pretty rare when the Bills do it. I also think NFL ready guys at DL, LB, OL & WR will hit the open market from us.

This is a sign of progress. (As you indicated.)  And it is a sign that this team is building a deeper roster. Having good backup players who can step up demonstrates that the prior drafts and personnel decisions have gotten to the critical mass point where there team is ready or nearly ready to be a serious team. When you put things in perspective and look back three years and compare to where we are not you have to be more than satisfied with where this team is. 

Maybe we can trade Yeldon to Houston for P Bryan Anger?

Just now, njbuff said:

Different types.

I would think the Bills would also keep 4TE’s. Any one of them can do whatever DiMarco does.

DiMarco is a process guy and good player on ST. He might not be living up to his expectations but I can't see him being cut anytime soon. Less we forget when we thought Jerome Felton was expendable?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Maybe we can trade Yeldon to Houston for P Bryan Anger?

DiMarco is a process guy and good player on ST. He might not be living up to his expectations but I can't see him being cut anytime soon. Less we forget when we thought Jerome Felton was expendable?

Sweeney and/or Knox can easily do what he does and are cheaper.