Your Opinions on the Gameday Opinions threads

Your Opinions On Gameday Opinions threads  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Your Opinions on the Gameday Opinions threads

• Keep ‘em
    • Change/Less/More topics
    • Fuggetaboutit

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2019 at 03:23 PM

Mixed reactions.  I think they're restrictive during the game.  I think game day discussions probably need to be free for all mess.  

Bur I like rhem AFTER the game.  It makes sense for a day or two after the game to have the ads for o, d, qb, coach officiating.  There also should be a thread for general reactions to the game.  

That doesn't mean that mods have to shut down other threads that people start.  Some limitations are necessary, but more threads is better than less.  More threads generate more discussion.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Too many for me. I also think often issues are interlinked so hard to say something goes just in one topic. 

I agree.  Having these general topic threads was useful, but they shouldn't be the exclusive threads on any topic.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It seems predetermined thread topics (I.e. officiating) floods the board as much as any other thread might. It essentially went unused, yet sat pinned. As a mobile user, it makes it one more thing to scroll through. 

It's a good idea in theory. However, I've never minded multiple threads on a single topic, especially if their new discussions or are adding something original. 

With the group chats, all dialogue and conversation becsmes mashed and buried into a single thread, making it difficult to get into the convo if you're jumping in late. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It seems predetermined thread topics (I.e. officiating) floods the board as much as any other thread might. It essentially went unused, yet sat pinned. As a mobile user, it makes it one more thing to scroll through. 

It's a good idea in theory. However, I've never minded multiple threads on a single topic, especially if their new discussions or are adding something original. 

With the group chats, all dialogue and conversation becsmes mashed and buried into a single thread, making it difficult to get into the convo if you're jumping in late. 

Bold part is untrue. I stayed with them and only unpinned the day after as each topic went 1 hour without comment. But I get your jist.

?

• Thank you (+1) 1

If it was up to me, I'd lock the board an hour ahead of the game and then reopen it an hour or 2 after the game. 

Set up a discord for people who want to talk in real time--but the board should be for discussions, not reactions. It's a message board, not a comment board. Big difference.

I don't mind hot takes in paragraph form on a Tuesday evening--they're what makes the internet worth browsing--but I hate play by play reactions calling for sweeping organizational changes--that's a symptom of everyone thinking their opinion matters in an instant gratification society. 

And shutting it down would lead to better threads, because an opinion is like a (wait for it, not what you're expecting) seed--it starts, it grows, it flowers into something different than it originally starts as. Last game I thought Josh Allen was playing poorly in the first quarter. Then I realized the gameplan was run heavy. Then I realized the game plan was to see how Gore and Shady ran out of similiar sets and formations, and grade them against each other. So my personal hot take thread would have gone from "why is josh allen so terrible" to "are we trying to trade shady or gore?" And that would have happened over the course of 3-4 hours. If I made my original thread idea, I'd be just like every other poster in internet history: forced to defend a hot take against all comers with ad hominem attacks until mods rush in to shut it down.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Set up a discord for people who want to talk in real time--but the board should be for discussions, not reactions. It's a message board, not a comment board. Big difference.

That is typically the Shout Box.  

There is always ongoing game conversations.   

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the idea. Here are a few constructive suggestions:

1) utilize less categories

- perhaps O,D, special teams,  coaching/refs

- maybe add a thumbs up/down category

2) maybe open them before the game starts

- allows for what we are looking for in terms of the catagories and to compare/contrast atvthe end

3) keep them pinned for a few days after the game

- sometimes after watching all-22 other thoughts pop up

Thank you for trying novel ways to enhance our forum (couch coach) tendencies!

• Like (+1) 1

I liked it. 

When home watching I do check in to the wall now and then. Most times right after the game. 

When at the Game or out watching don’t check in on the wall till next day.   

Maybe a few less 

Overall a good idea. 

• Like (+1) 2