Who is the "Ghost" among Bills top draft picks?

Stallions

It seems all 3 Buffalo TV network sports commentators, WGR radio and the Buffalo News don't have much to say about the BILLS #1 Draft Pick, Ed Oliver, through 3 pre-season games.  Has anyone watched him closely in the pre-season games?  What have you observed?

Oliver has been holding his own against single team blocks.  He gets doubled a lot and gets swallowed up a bit on most of those plays.  But on running plays, he has been quick to shed those and at least be part of the tackle a few times.  On pass plays, he has affected some throwing lanes and he has sniffed the QB once or twice.  All-in-all, he does not look out of place, but he has yet to make many splash plays in our mostly vanilla preseason defense.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Stallions said:

It seems all 3 Buffalo TV network sports commentators, WGR radio and the Buffalo News don't have much to say about the BILLS #1 Draft Pick, Ed Oliver, through 3 pre-season games.  Has anyone watched him closely in the pre-season games?  What have you observed?

He's fine. I think fans have an expectation that high picks have immediate impacts. Some even say if that pick isn't a difference maker out of the box, he's a bust.

The Bills are handling Oliver just right; making him earn his spot, while also easing him in. Don't forget he's on the small side. (But so was Kyle Williams.) He has to learn how to use his skill set at this level. He'll be fine. He's part of a good group.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Sills and Easley? They weren’t drafted, which would make it difficult for them to be “ghosts among high draft picks”.

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Dude was undrafted...its amazing how people think every year there will be an undrafted guy who performs like a first round pick.

Just most disappointing when you know what talent is there... Obviously you can't expect much but it happens all the time where late round picks and udfa blow up.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's fine. I think fans have an expectation that high picks have immediate impacts. Some even say if that pick isn't a difference maker out of the box, he's a bust.

The Bills are handling Oliver just right; making him earn his spot, while also easing him in. Don't forget he's on the small side. (But so was Kyle Williams.) He has to learn how to use his skill set at this level. He'll be fine. He's part of a good group.

...LOL...Cowgirls had Ed "Too Tall" Jones and we have Ed "Too Small" Oliver....if the "Ed's results" are comparable, we should be fine IMO.........."

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

Oliver has looked similar to Quinnen Williams in preseason.  Solid, going to be good, but no Josh Allen/Jags moments yet. 

Cody Ford looks legit.  Whether at G or T, he’s a player.  Love the toughness he plays with.  

Devin Singletary has flashed maybe the most of any pick.  Coming out of college he wasn’t used as a receiver, but he clearly has that in his bag and shows vision and elusiveness.  

Dawson Knox is tough to gauge due to injury, but in his first game back showed he can block, that’s for sure.  

Vosean Joseph is probably the “ghost” candidate, but even he had a couple huge hits in one of the preseason games. 

Jaquan Johnson could have been that ghost candidate and then he goes and forces a fumble, showing playmaking instincts on the strip-tackle. 

Tommy Sweeney and Darryl Johnson look like absolute steals.  Both have made plays all preseason. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 8/25/2019 at 3:20 AM, NickelCity said:

I expected there to be more buzz around Vosean Joseph, tbh.

I believe that the Bills are going to be patient with Joseph. He posseses a good skill set and needs some refinement. McDermott hinted that despite the big hits and flashes that Joseph can provide, there is work to be done in his development.

Edited by Rocket94

11 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Just most disappointing when you know what talent is there... Obviously you can't expect much but it happens all the time where late round picks and udfa blow up.

I wouldn't say "all the time"...more like ocassionally. Yes some UDFA's make rosters but most of them are special teams players. Rarely do they turn into Adam Thielen or Phillip Lindsey...

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I wouldn't say "all the time"...more like ocassionally. Yes some UDFA's make rosters but most of them are special teams players. Rarely do they turn into Adam Thielen or Phillip Lindsey...

Obviously I'm being facetious...league wide it turns into a nice rate of UDFAs and late picks becoming servicable at least or we wouldn't have full rosters.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think Scallions will be disappointed that most fans are going to be rational on this topic.

I like scallions.

56 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Obviously I'm being facetious...league wide it turns into a nice rate of UDFAs and late picks becoming servicable at least or we wouldn't have full rosters.

This is true.