If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't buy that he was their best QB in pre-season or that he would have started with Denver. I didn't particularly like him at Ole Miss either. If he was a choir boy he would face an uphill battle. Given that he is a major personality headache his chances of sticking are slim. 

Elway signed Keenan for pretty decent money, and I believe he thought Keenham had turned the corner and would be playing at much higher level than he had...

It was obvious to fans in Denver that Chad Kelly had much better overall talent and instincts than Keenham, but was weighed down by his past... 

1st round talent, head full of ***** 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Elway signed Keenan for pretty decent money, and I believe he thought Keenham had turned the corner and would be playing at much higher level than he had...

It was obvious to fans in Denver that Chad Kelly had much better overall talent and instincts than Keenham, but was weighed down by his past... 

1st round talent, head full of ***** 

I never thought he was a first round talent. He'd have gone significantly before the 7th round.... but I never thought he was a first rounder. 

I'm surprised Indy waived him,  unless there is something he did behind the scenes that we don't know about.  I'm sure Frank made it clear there's a zero tolerance rule surrounding Chad.  But based on his preseason work for a few years now, he's better than some of these backup QB clowns starting this weekend.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm surprised Indy waived him,  unless there is something he did behind the scenes that we don't know about.  I'm sure Frank made it clear there's a zero tolerance rule surrounding Chad.  But based on his preseason work for a few years now, he's better than some of these backup QB clowns starting this weekend.

Teams these days do not like to carry 3 QBs on the active roster in most cases. Given that they don't expect him to play as long as Brissett is healthy, it makes sense to waive him and put him on the PS. They most likely feel it is a good chance he won't be claimed, given his history, so they can PS him. And, if he is claimed, they can deal with having a #3 QB some other way. It is not super critical.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I never thought he was a first round talent. He'd have gone significantly before the 7th round.... but I never thought he was a first rounder. 

I think had he played somewhere for 3-4 years w/o incident in college, I think he’d be a coveted prospect going somewhere in the first round... there were a few plays in preseason with the Broncos that gave you a feeling that he could really ball professionally...

but, he has a head full of *****... no team would waste a valuable pick 5 or higher on him, if any pick at all... looks like 31 teams were right 

31 minutes ago, zow2 said:

the colts already have enough distractions, probably didn’t feel he was worth the potential risk... if you can’t rely on him to keep his head straight, probably no need to keep him on, especially if you may need to tap that 2/3 QB... 

Edited by B-Large

41 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Updated: Signed to Colts PS as expected.

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-sign-qb-chad-kelly-to-practice-squad

The Colts waited almost 48 hours to make the move.  Maybe it was shopping for a trade offer or maybe it was a calculation to push the move further into the game prep week to slip him through waivers.  Either way, I think he is in a good place to work on his game, rehab his professional reputation and get coached by a stable organization.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, B-Large said:

I think had he played somewhere for 3-4 years w/o incident in college, I think he’d be a coveted prospect going somewhere in the first round... there were a few plays in preseason with the Broncos that gave you a feeling that he could really ball professionally...

I don't think he'd have gone in the first in any event. 3rd or 4th rounder. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he'd have gone in the first in any event. 3rd or 4th rounder. 

It is really hard to decide where to draw the line. He had injuries that also seriously impacted his draft status. Before that, who knows what would have happened if he never got kicked off his first team? His red flags which scream "undisciplined" are a huge problem for any kind of high pick. But if he was more disciplined, maybe he would also have been a better QB?? No way to know.

• 1 month later...