If Chad Kelly Was Ever Going to Make It

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

10 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

I agree with this.  Not a big fan of Chad but he will be well coached and will probably not get another opportunity like he has right now.  Hope he can stay out of trouble and succeed.

It’s really unbelievable how many redemption opportunities are availed chronic knucklehead athletes. Sure, I love the story. But he’s not worthy of it, imo.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well he'll definitely make the team as their backup and if Brissett stumbles he could get that chance. I personally think Indy will go all in on tanking for Lawrence. 

Wouldn't that be lackluster for Lawerance....or lethargic for Lawrence? Tanking for Lawrence doesn't work.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if he can keep his nose clean he may be able to make the best of this second (or third) opportunity?

This is his "golden opportunity" to be sure.  It's Drew Bledsoe getting hurt in the first game of the 2001 season.  It's Fitzmagic coming into the Bills game and throwing the 99-yard TD to Terrell Owens.   He was unlikely to stick with Indy unless they kept 3 QBs.  Now, off his preseason work, he's not only likely to be the backup to Brissett, but much more likely to get a shot at the starting slot.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This is his "golden opportunity" to be sure.  It's Drew Bledsoe getting hurt in the first game of the 2001 season.  It's Fitzmagic coming into the Bills game and throwing the 99-yard TD to Terrell Owens.   He was unlikely to stick with Indy unless they kept 3 QBs.  Now, off his preseason work, he's not only likely to be the backup to Brissett, but much more likely to get a shot at the starting slot.

...Colts will have a decision to make as Brissett in a UFA in 2020...............

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Ehh...white privilege? I dont think so. This seems to be any minoritiy reporters goto button to explain things.

Does Tyreek Hill have black privilege? He is still playing when almost universally its been stated the NFL should suspend him. He doesn't seem to bring that up conveniently...also conveniently left out how Michael Vick returned to the NFL after his jail time...

There are some things that are viewed as bad but people get over them and then there are social issues that people are so divided over that they will never get over like what Kaepernick is dealing with. If Kaepernick was a high end starter in this league he would still be playing...teams would not like it but his talent would outweigh the backlash from fans, distractions and media circus. But he isn't. He is a marginal starter or very good backup amd no team is willing to deal with that level of adversity for a backup player. It just isnt happening in any league not just the NFL.

You’re proving the point the writer is making.  

Character issues for black quarterbacks have been overlooked in the past, most notably JaMarcus Russell, but those players had otherworldly talent that, at the time, overshadowed any negative traits.

Vick fits in that category. Tyreek Hill fits in that category (not a qb, I know). Character issues get beaten out by talent. Chad Kelly was Mr. Irrelevant in that draft. And yet he seems to keep getting new chances, ever since college. If he was black and unrelated to an all-time great, would so many be fondling their rosary beads for him? 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Character issues for black quarterbacks have been overlooked in the past, most notably JaMarcus Russell, but those players had otherworldly talent that, at the time, overshadowed any negative traits.

Vick fits in that category. Tyreek Hill fits in that category (not a qb, I know). Character issues get beaten out by talent. Chad Kelly was Mr. Irrelevant in that draft. And yet he seems to keep getting new chances, ever since college. If he was black and unrelated to an all-time great, would so many be fondling their rosary beads for him? 

Funny how they had to add "and unrelated to an all-time great"....

I think he is getting extra chances because he is Jim Kelly's nephew, not because he is white. I don't know that any team was willing to sign him besides Frank Reich's Colts. No doubt Uncle Jimbo has made many appeals to people throughout the league to get "the kid" more chances.

He also isn't intentionally a pain in the ass, going to the press to stir up trouble (like Krapernik). Kelly gets himself into stoopid situations, Krapernik attacks the League and it's fanbase with accusations of racism. That's a way more volatile situation. Of course, both you and the writer know that...

The Race Card is played out, but go ahead and roll around with it. It makes great click-bait, but it's half-life is dwindling very quickly.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
34 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Sorry man I just read that article and it is trash.    He brings up Lamar Jackson who was a first round pick and starting by the end of the season despite serious questions about the way he throws the ball.  The writer has an agenda.  Has Chad Kelly been given more chances than someone should get?  Yes, probably.  Did Chad Kelly get these extra chances because he is white?  No, absolutely not,  that is ridiculous.  He got the chances because he just might be able to play at the NFL level and his uncle is Jim Kelly.  Calling out racism when it isn't there hurts the true victims of racism.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think that story is wrong.

It's not wrong entirely, but I think in Kelly's case it's less about being white and more about being Jim Kelly's nephew.  If his uncle wasn't Jim Kelly, he wouldn't have been drafted.  He wouldn't have gotten another chance with Indy if not for his uncle's relationship with Frank Reich, either -- and I believe Reich's said that publicly.  

I don't think that the author used good examples.  Josh Freeman was a first rounder who was always a QB and had one good season before alleged drug use tanked his career.  He attempted comebacks but he's been just awful, including a short stint with the Bills, so he's out of the league because of his play not because he's black.  I think that Griffin has been treated somewhat unfairly by NFL teams but that's how teams treat failed first round QBs.  Griffin didn't play well in Washington after his injury, and that relegated him to being a backup at best where ever he goes.  JP Losman left the NFL after his failed sojourn in Buffalo because he realized that no team would give him a real shot at a starting job again.  It's likely to happen to Josh Rosen, too, unless he can take the Miami job away from Fitz  (or inherit it) and shine.  Furthermore, while some pundit/draftniks were projecting Lamar Jackson as a RB, I don't think that Baltimore ever did.  They used him on some gadget plays early in the season to get him used to real game action, but he was always their backup to Flacco until he became the starter.

I think that EJ Manuel would be a better example of a black QB held to a higher standard than a white QB -- the essence of white privilege --  given how the Bills gave Nathan Peterman multiple chances despite his spectacular failures in both his rookie and sophomore seasons.  I know they were different regimes but it seemed to me that the Bills under McDermott and Beane were looking to get shed of Tyrod Taylor, too, from the beginning.  They certainly made it hard for Taylor to have success as a passer given that they sent his WRs from 2016 -- Watkins, Woods, Goodwin -- packing so they could saddle him with Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 3

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Let me go off on a political rant real quick.  Do white people in America have a whole list of bull#### that they never have to deal with when they step out the door to live their daily lives, while black Americans have that bull#### as part of there everyday lives?  Yes, without question I believe this to be true.    Do almost all white people take this fact for granted?  Yes.  That said, white privilege is a divisive term and the more it is used, the more it works against the interest of those who are using it.

While "white privilege" may exist in the above stated form it does not mean that life for the majority of white Americans is easy.  Many, many white people in America struggle to pay the bills and live paycheck to paycheck.  So in that sense they are not privileged at all.  Many, many more white Americans are living this way than white Americans who are thriving.  So when these people who are struggling hear "white privilege", they get bitter and direct their anger towards those using the term which causes further division.  This is why the rust belt went to Trump.  Poor white people keep getting told by rich white celebrities and truly privileged college kids who have never had to struggle a day in their life, why they(the poor white people) are everything that is wrong with this country.  Meanwhile these "woke" celebs are instagraming from the worlds most beautiful beaches and their $30 million dollar homes.  So the "woke" rich and privileged just get that social media dopamine rush but actually cause more divisiveness and turn people to the other side.

The true privilege in America is wealth.  But the elites and the media have the poor at each others throats over "white privilege" and any other term they can think that divides us along anything other than economic lines.  IMO it would serve liberals greatly to abandon the term white privilege.  Find something that doesn't diminish the daily struggle that life really is for the majority of white Americans.  If those who use this term are serious about getting the people they choose to criticize on their side, this would be a good first step.  Otherwise its just grandstanding or merely trying  justifying your existence to the "woke" social media culture.  

This is simply my opinion  but let me give you some background as to where I stand politically.  I was raised liberal and was tuned into politics from a young age.  My first political rally was at the age of 17, when I drove to NYC to rally for Mumia Abu-Jamal, who was on death row for being convicted of murdering a Philadelphia police officer.  I protested against the war in Iraq when I lived in Florida and had some heated moments then.  I have voted Democrat my whole life.  

I say all of this because I am not some far right wing nut and I have actually become more worried about how far the Democrats will go to cater to the far, far left, than I am about Trump.  I will not vote for Trump but I will not vote for any Democrat they put in front of me.  Tulsi Gabbard has my vote for sure but the establishment won't let her get off the ground.  That is besides the point though, the point is that the woke, white privilege, hate everything masculine, American and white approach is never going to win.  All it does is gives Trump more power.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i dont think he will.

he got screwed in Denver in that many Bronco players were at that party and nothing happened to them . If they were good teammates they would have kept an eye on him and not let him wonder off into somebody's house or better yet keep him away from there or Von Miller doesn't have a party at his house with illegal drugs.

Kelly has learned his lesson and will be their starter eventually.

I hope you’re right because I love the guy.

I’m an Ole Miss fan and watched every snap of his in college. If it wasn’t for his injuries his senior year, he was a first rounder.

24 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that EJ Manuel would be a better example of a black QB held to a higher standard than a white QB -- the essence of white privilege --  given how the Bills gave Nathan Peterman multiple chances despite his spectacular failures in both his rookie and sophomore seasons.  I know they were different regimes but it seemed to me that the Bills under McDermott and Beane were looking to get shed of Tyrod Taylor, too, from the beginning.  They certainly made it hard for Taylor to have success as a passer given that they sent his WRs from 2016 -- Watkins, Woods, Goodwin -- packing so they could saddle him with Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones.

Peterman played very well in two(now 3) preseasons.  I thought he out played TT in the preseason.  So, the chances he received were earned on the field and not because of his color.   

Also, he was earning about nothing so he is a good value toward the risk/reward calculation. 

• Like (+1) 1