Luck retiring

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Honestly would love to see him return, but ultimately wish him well in life. He seems like an excellent dude, and this may be the best decision for his future. Still......I kind of hate to see him exit the league this way. It doesn't "feel" like he's going out on his own terms. He seems a little confused at times and I think it's likely that a year off will change his perspective. 

Well, he stressed clarity of his vision several times during his PC.  I think this is entirely going out on his terms, and that's why he's choosing to do it in this way.

Not doing it his way would mean continued playing and dealing with the negative effects of injury/rehab, etc.

Will he re-think the decision after a year away from the game?!  He might!  That happens to a lot of guys.  And he's still relatively young.  Would be very interesting if he did choose to come back.

Maybe you can't rule it out.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Honestly would love to see him return, but ultimately wish him well in life. He seems like an excellent dude, and this may be the best decision for his future. Still......I kind of hate to see him exit the league this way. It doesn't "feel" like he's going out on his own terms. He seems a little confused at times and I think it's likely that a year off will change his perspective. 

Its a sad day for the game of football.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Its a sad day for the game of football.

One of the big problems impacting the NFL is not enough really good QBs to go around.

And then one of the guys on the short list of really good ones retirees prematurely.

The league needs more players of Luck's caliber, not fewer!  

Sad day indeed.

• Like (+1) 1

Can someone explain the booing at the game?

Apparently Adam Schefter first "leaked" news of the retirement during the 4th quarter of the football game tonight between Indy and Chicago, with Luck standing on the sideline and not playing in the game.

After the game ended, Luck held a PC and formally announced his retirement.

So was all that booing as Luck walked off the field done by fans who caught news of the Schefter tweet during the game?  

I.E, was that a reaction to the news of his retirement!?  Not sure why else they'd be booing.

But man, that is terrible.

5 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

am i the only one happy about this? one less team competing for the WC spot and one less elite QB to face in the playoffs.

the day brady retires will be a global holiday.

Quite possibly!  But then we will still have to find out how much of New England's success is all Brady, and how much is BB!  

Unless he chooses to retire when Brady does.

I was doing some reading at an Indianapolis Colts fan forum, and people were suggesting that Monday's Dan Dakich show should be epic, discussing the Andrew Luck retirement.  Sounds like he is kind of their version of Mike Schopp.

He's on from Noon to 3pm at 107.5 the fan in Indy for anyone that wants to listen.

I'll check in for some of it as I find this story interesting.  

https://www.1075thefan.com/listen

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Colts have nobody to blame but themselves for this.

It’s easy to tank to get QB, but harder to surround said QB with quality talent, which sent said QB into early retirement.

He made millions and he is walking away. I can't blame him at all. I am surprised more of them don't do the same.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Colts have nobody to blame but themselves for this.

It’s easy to tank to get QB, but harder to surround said QB with quality talent, which sent said QB into early retirement.

It's actually incredibly easy to find talent to surround a QB with, the Bills have found tons of talent the past 20 years. Indy is just at Cleveland levels of ineptitude who were gifted two HOF QBs.

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Edited by LikeIGiveADarn
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dubs said:

No skit Sherlock 

Seriously, get bent you little troll.

5 hours ago, dubs said:

Good: One less team for the Bills to compete with for a playoff spot

Bad: tough to see a guy go out in his prime, esp a QB like Luck

Indifferent: he’s banked a ton of cash and going his own way, kudos to him I guess. 

Thanks, Captain obvious.

4 hours ago, skibum said:

I'm actually amazed that more NFL players don't do this. If I had 8 figures in the bank, I don't think I would be all that motivated to go out and get crushed by 300 pound men until I can't remember my own name anymore.

Young people always don't make the brightest decisions or think about their long term health.  Also, many go broke when they retire.  Most QB's who remain relatively healthy play because of their love for the game, their legacy, and continuing to make insane amounts of money.  Luck made around 97 million already and has an engineering degree from Stanford so he should be fine.

I don't think this tanks the Colts season as they're still talented on both sides of the ball and Brissett is no slouch.  He'll have a better offensive line in front of him and better WR options than he did in 2017.  They pry just went from a SB contender to a possible WC team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't think this tanks the Colts season as they're still talented on both sides of the ball and Brissett is no slouch.  He'll have a better offensive line in front of him and better WR options than he did in 2017.  They pry just went from a SB contender to a possible WC team.

I would like to think the Bills are now better than the Colts...

• Like (+1) 1

People mention the Stanford degree all the time, but it's hilarious trying to imagine a scenario in which an architecture/design firm hires Andrew Luck to an entry level position commensurate with a bachelor's degree and no experience. 

Edit: I'm saying it's *actually* funny to imagine the scenario. I'm not scoffing at his ability to actually do, well, anything he wants really. I realize he's got outside experience, capital, and name recognition in addition to an excellent degree. Poorly worded post in the wee hours of the AM.

Edited by NickelCity

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would like to think the Bills are now better than the Colts...

There over/under win total at FanDuel went from 9.5 to 6 and they have us at 6.5.  Granted, they have the tougher division.

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

People mention the Stanford degree all the time, but it's hilarious trying to imagine a scenario in which an architecture/design firm hires Andrew Luck to an entry level position commensurate with a bachelor's degree and no experience. 

I get that he has 97mil and would never be in that situation, but I think it's funny to think through the hypothetical of him trying to use his degree. Same with Fitz.

He could easily start his own business.  He obviously has the capital to do so and the name recognition to go along with it.