The LG position: Quinton Spain/Ike Boettger/ Wyatt Teller

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s what I was thinking, they wanted to get more of a look at him....and not against garbage. I think I like Teller more than most, but I don’t pretend to be an expert. 

No shame there! It’s what he does! He posts breaking news better than Kiko “cooks”!   ?

While that's true, there wasn't even anything newsy about this one If ever I'm going to make a thread maybe I should just stop and assume Yolo's got it

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

While that's true, there wasn't even anything newsy about this one If ever I'm going to make a thread maybe I should just stop and assume Yolo's got it

Yours should have just been merged. Had more real info, mine was a train of thought. I was like “get outta my brain!” :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think Felliciano will take that spot once Morse comes back healthy.  

Ditto - once Morse is back: Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/Nsekhe would be the best five. As much as I do like Teller, and hope he continues to develop, I can't see us having a better five out there. If Morse and/or Nsekhe aren't in the mix come week 1, look for Long and Teller to fill the interior with either Feliciano or Bates at Center, and Ford swinging to RT. 

All this of course presuming Spain can't go - but I can't help but to be skeptical of his play thus far both in camp and preseason games. Especially in respect to penalties and poor pass pro.

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I think they should hold a fan tryout for the LG position.  The average fan can't be worse than Quinton Spain, or anyone else on the roster.

This is commentary?  Next time I won't even bother.

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I did not see Teller at RT - interesting 

He and Boettger were in at the same time.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure yet how bad Spain’s injury is but found it interesting that Ike Boettger,  not Wyatt Teller, replaces him at LG when he went out last night. Spain was begging Bobby Johnson to go back in before the cart came out, so hard to say what the extent of the injury is. Even though he left in a walking boot, that’s common to take precaution. 

If he can’t go week 1 (and he hasn’t been very good anyway... ) does Boettger (a former UDFa) get the nod over Teller, a 5th rd pick from a year ago? Does teller get cut because he provides zero versatility on the OL (only plays G)? 

Spain has been adequate, which means he is far better than Ducasse was.

That being said, Boettger played very good in place of Spain last night.

Still, I don't think Teller will get cut either.

9 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

If you take your tin foil hat off, he will also read your thoughts. I’m telling you, YOLO has it covered! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m actually rooting for Teller, I think he’s played well when he has had opportunities and I liked how he stood up for josh last year when Kiko took that cheap shot. I was hoping a vet LG like Spain would help Dawkins but I am starting to think there was a reason he was available when he was and for cheap. I’m worried about Teller not having the ability to play C could hurt him when it comes to the 53.

Teller has not played well.  He was barely adequate in the run game and more of a liability in pass protection than even Ducasse.  You are just giving him the benefit of the doubt because he was a rookie and he can get better.  But his play to date does not warrant a starting spot and without the injuries to Morse and Spain he would probably not make the final 53.  

At this point I would favor keeping an additional OL knowing Morse is one hit away from being lost for the season.  I don't see anything special from WR 3-8 and woudl only go with 5 to start the season.  They can pick up a street FA if a WR gets hurt.  Of course I am also in the camp of not keeping DiMarco which frees up a roster spot.  .  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Teller has not played well.  He was barely adequate in the run game and more of a liability in pass protection than even Ducasse.  You are just giving him the benefit of the doubt because he was a rookie and he can get better.  But his play to date does not warrant a starting spot and without the injuries to Morse and Spain he would probably not make the final 53.  

At this point I would favor keeping an additional OL knowing Morse is one hit away from being lost for the season.  I don't see anything special from WR 3-8 and woudl only go with 5 to start the season.  They can pick up a street FA if a WR gets hurt.  Of course I am also in the camp of not keeping DiMarco which frees up a roster spot.  .  

Agreed Spain is better, but there’s no denying Teller has had a very good camp so far. His problem to me is his lack of versatility compared to Long, and Feliciano. And Bates is coming in like gang busters. I could see them trading Teller this week . 

18 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I see, Spain, is the player that going to be the "get rid of him at all costs regardless of actual play" player this year.

Yep.  It seems, these days,  if a player loses on a play here and there, he's no good.  In spite of all the good plays they might make.  It's almost as if folks forget all players lose plays here and there.  ALL. OF. THEM.   Spain has made his share of good plays this pre-season and over his career.  I'll trust Bobby Johnson's opinion on this one.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree. Despite GunnerBill's man crush on the guy, he looks fat and unathletic.

My sediments exactly

59 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Spain is the best of the three and by a wide margin. Maybe could use some conditioning work though  He looks blubbery and bloated even for a OG

Then that makes him the worst of the three- professional football players have to be ready to play, and Spain is not.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

My sediments exactly

41 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Yep.  It seems, these days,  if a player loses on a play here and there, he's no good.  In spite of all the good plays they might make.  It's almost as if folks forget all players lose plays here and there.  ALL. OF. THEM.   Spain has made his share of good plays this pre-season and over his career.  I'll trust Bobby Johnson's opinion on this one.

My theory about the ppl suddenly hating on the Spaniard is that they’re preemptively avoiding criticism of McDermott for losing another interior online starter 2weeks before we play the Jets. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

My sediments exactly

I think you are looking for an escape goat..

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

My theory about the ppl suddenly hating on the Spaniard is that they’re preemptively avoiding criticism of McDermott for losing another interior online starter 2weeks before we play the Jets. 

Yeah ... I’m sure that’s not it..

Do people get injured on another teams under other coaches?

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think you are looking for an escape goat..

Yeah ... I’m sure that’s not it..

Do people get injured on another teams under other coaches?

Yeah they do but there was a thread about whether or not it’s smart to play our starters in preseason. The newest trend is to not play them at all.

Not only would the Spaniard not be on the mend but maybe some questions about teller could have been answered. 

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Yeah they do but there was a thread about whether or not it’s smart to play our starters in preseason. The newest trend is to not play them at all.

Not only would the Spaniard not be on the mend but maybe some questions about teller could have been answered. 

Belichek doesn’t seem to subscribe to the new trend..what does he know I guess..