The LG position: Quinton Spain/Ike Boettger/ Wyatt Teller

YoloinOhio

Not sure yet how bad Spain’s injury is but found it interesting that Ike Boettger,  not Wyatt Teller, replaces him at LG when he went out last night. Spain was begging Bobby Johnson to go back in before the cart came out, so hard to say what the extent of the injury is. Even though he left in a walking boot, that’s common to take precaution. 

If he can’t go week 1 (and he hasn’t been very good anyway... ) does Boettger (a former UDFa) get the nod over Teller, a 5th rd pick from a year ago? Does teller get cut because he provides zero versatility on the OL (only plays G)? 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure yet how bad Spain’s injury is but found it interesting that Ike Boettger,  not Wyatt Teller, replaces him at LG when he went out last night. Spain was begging Bobby Johnson to go back in before the cart came out, so hard to say what the extent of the injury is. Even though he left in a walking boot, that’s common to take precaution. 

If he can’t go week 1 (and he hasn’t been very good anyway... ) does Boettger (a former UDFa) get the nod over Teller, a 5th rd pick from a year ago? Does teller get cut because he provides zero versatility on the OL (only plays G)? 

Teller is staying, probably wanted to see if Boettger could handle it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m actually rooting for Teller, I think he’s played well when he has had opportunities and I liked how he stood up for josh last year when Kiko took that cheap shot. I was hoping a vet LG like Spain would help Dawkins but I am starting to think there was a reason he was available when he was and for cheap. I’m worried about Teller not having the ability to play C could hurt him when it comes to the 53.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I think they should hold a fan tryout for the LG position.  The average fan can't be worse than Quinton Spain, or anyone else on the roster.

Interesting - have you called the Bills yet?

I suggest you act as a DT against Spain and show us how bad he performs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I was suspecting Teller to come in as well.  I noticed Teller got playing time at RG and RT during the game.  Bates got some time at LT in the 2nd half.  I'm curious to see who they keep and how many.

I did not see Teller at RT - interesting 

I suspect you may see Teller start at LG next week.   Spain won't play.   They should also play Bates at center again.    

These 2 guys should play the whole game at these positions.   These 2 positions worry me more than any where else.  1 more concussion and Mitch is likely done.  Feliciano is very average and Bodine will be gone.  Lets see how good Bates can be a center.   I fear Spain being very marginal in pass protection and could be benched at some point during the year.   Teller needs to be ready to step up. 

Edited by Bills Oil Company

My best guess is that - as it was pretty clear they were emphasizing the run game - they were seeing what they had in Ike there. Teller is a good run blocker and they know what they have there. Maybe Ike has leaped him though.

35 minutes ago, GG said:

My only guess is that they are testing Boettgers versatility. Teller came in last week and played pretty well so they know what he can do.

I posted something similar in another thread, that they were giving him a good look with the ones, as it will come down to those two.  However, Teller has looked stellar...

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Boettger played most of the remainder of the game.

49 minutes ago, GG said:

My only guess is that they are testing Boettgers versatility. Teller came in last week and played pretty well so they know what he can do.

That’s what I was thinking, they wanted to get more of a look at him....and not against garbage. I think I like Teller more than most, but I don’t pretend to be an expert. 

21 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I started a thread on this but you beat me to it Yolo! Seems to me like Teller is done-zo, or else why would Boettger go in instead of him with Josh on the field and the need to protect him? None of the reasons given so far are very compelling. Seems Boettger has passed him

No shame there! It’s what he does! He posts breaking news better than Kiko “cooks”!   ?

Edited by Augie

Given the scheme and based on past performance there is no doubt IMO that Spain should start (if healthy of course). He's a starting calibre guard in man. Can't get away from the impression that he's out of shape tho. I get that he's a big guy but I don't recall seeing quite so prominent a paunch in the clips I've watched of him as a Titan. I know he was kept out of practice early on for a hand injury. Maybe that has something to do with it. This ankle thingy won't help either if it keeps him out awhile.

• Like (+1) 1