Coffee crisis

BarleyNY

I've drank coffee for over 40 years. I consider myself a total coffee snob for sure. I prefer the dark roasts, but I dislike the bitter aftertaste of a Starbucks. I buy the Dark Italian Espresso Roast whole bean bags by Eight O'clock.  They are sold in Walmart for $12.98 for a 2 lbs. bag. I grind the beans at the beginning of each week. It is by far the smoothest dark roast I've ever had and the added plus of no bitter aftertaste. In a single cup, Keurig style maker I use 2Tbsp of grounds per 8 oz water, but you can adjust that to make it weaker. I can't stand coffee that tastes like hot water. Hope this helps!

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I actually like the green mountain hazelnut K-cups the best of the k-cups I have tried. They seem to be good value. 

surprisingly, the Peruvian whole beans at Aldi’s Are good and super cheap. I use them for my French press and liked them better than the more expensive 8:00 beans I have used. They also have a nice chocolate note. 

Thank you.  I’ll be trying this within the next couple days. 

Also thanks to to everyone who’s chimed in.  As for readily available coffee, IMO Timmy Ho’s does a nice job at the store.  I usually go dark roast.  I agree that the stuff they sell for home use doesn’t taste quite the same.  Or maybe I just expect more of my coffee at home.  Starbucks is really good, but at a higher price point.  I usually get a latte so I don’t get the burnt taste apparent in the espresso and regular coffee.  I don’t care for Dunkin Donuts coffee, but could drink it if I had to.  I agree that mcDonalds coffee is mop water.  The last two times I got it a I threw it away.  (There was a deal for a breakfast sandwich and coffee that was less than just the sandwich.)

Edited by BarleyNY

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thank you.  I’ll be trying this within the next couple days. 

Also thanks to to everyone who’s chimed in.  As for readily available coffee, IMO Timmy Ho’s does a nice job at the store.  I usually go dark roast.  I agree that the stuff they sell for home use doesn’t taste quite the same.  Or maybe I just expect more of my coffee at home.  Starbucks is really good, but at a higher price point.  I usually get a latte so I don’t get the burnt taste apparent in the espresso and regular coffee.  I don’t care for Dunkin Donuts coffee, but could drink it if I had to.  I agree that mcDonalds coffee is mop water.  The last two times I got it a I threw it away.  (There was a deal for a breakfast sandwich and coffee that was less than just the sandwich.)

Try the Starbucks Gold Coast...just once!

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I tried that before.  I ran out and had to score some meth behind Price Chopper to have with my danish.

I don’t like it. I like Stewart’s coffee ️ 

16 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The Buffalo History Works had a web page devoted to the Deco restaurant chain that was founded in Buffalo, and billed itself as serving ‘Buffalo’s Best Cup of Coffee’ through the 70s.  An interesting aspect of the story was the chain’s executives traveling to NYC to select their blend of coffee, and upon returning to Buffalo, finding the taste to be ‘off’.  A second trip to NYC, this time with an adequate supply of Buffalo tap water resulted in selecting a blend that the chain served.

I just spent a few months researching espresso machines before buying a setup.

One thing that I found interesting was that the better espresso snob sites insist that the coffee grinder you use is much more important than the espresso machine.  In fact, they suggest spending as much as 60% of your total budget on the coffee grinder itself, with 40% on the machine.  The espresso obsessed folks are spending like $800 to $1,600 on grinders.  

This is for semi-automatic espresso machines where you must grind your own beans on the side; the machine won't do that for you.

15 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am with you re Starbucks— very burned taste. I only will drink Americanos there. 

I think it all depends on the store. Yes, some stores, not each/every time, do have that burned flavor. Unfortunately, Starbucks coffee isn't isn't universal in flavor. There's human interaction to F it up. 

On a side note, just bought a bag of Peet's "Big Bang" coffee...pretty good. 

Edited by 707BillsFan

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I just spent a few months researching espresso machines before buying a setup.

One thing that I found interesting was that the better espresso snob sites insist that the coffee grinder you use is much more important than the espresso machine.  In fact, they suggest spending as much as 60% of your total budget on the coffee grinder itself, with 40% on the machine.  The espresso obsessed folks are spending like $800 to $1,600 on grinders.  

This is for semi-automatic espresso machines where you must grind your own beans on the side; the machine won't do that for you.

I have a very serviceable and high quality grinder my daughter and son in law bought for me, now in storage somewhere, since household members changed but household contents really didn’t.  I was living away from the homestead for a while, and have been ‘limping along’ on a perfectly good $25 Hamilton Beach, grinding my next pot’s worth of beans the night before.  It has to be a good ten years old, and just keeps grinding.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:22 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Try Black Rifle Coffee for a darker roast (they also have an extra dark roast + pods). Bonus for the men on this sub-forum, they run pervy guy-centric commercials and are vets.

For myself, I love Jamaican Blue.  Mmmmm coffee. 

I’ve been curious about trying Black Rifle coffee. Seems like a good company to support.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Quick update. Tried Aldi’s Peruvian blend first per JR’s suggestion.  This is a quality coffee at a great price.  Excellent find.  It’s a solid 4 or 4.5 out of 5 stars per the 3 coffee drinkers in the house .  Thanks again.  I’ll post with further results as they come in.