Coffee crisis

BarleyNY

Apparently Green Mountain has acquired Caribou Coffee and now I can’t find my go to coffee - Caribou - in any of my usual places.  I usually got it from Amazon or Costco, but Wegmans and some other local places had it if I was in a pinch.  All gone now.  I use both whole bean and K cups.

I like it on the dark side and the dark chocolate notes of Caribou sealed the deal for me.  Looking for something along those lines that isn’t stupid expensive.  Any recommendations?  Also feel free to just talk about coffee. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Try Black Rifle Coffee for a darker roast (they also have an extra dark roast + pods). Bonus for the men on this sub-forum, they run pervy guy-centric commercials and are vets.

For myself, I love Jamaican Blue.  Mmmmm coffee. 

Thanks!  As much as I enjoy pervy commercials I will judge them by their beans. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Haha (+1) 1

I find the best coffee that is commonly available all over in big commercial establishments is Starbucks.

You can usually get it on sale for around $6.50 a sack.  Don't pay $9 or $10 for it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I am of the proletarian class. I find McDonalds's coffee good enough to meet my lower standard needs. Anyone who condescendingly sneers at me is an elitist arsehole. :ph34r:

He's looking for beans or ground coffee, not brewed coffee.

38 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I find the best coffee that is commonly available all over in big commercial establishments is Starbucks.

You can usually get it on sale for around $6.50 a sack.  Don't pay $9 or $10 for it.

Starbucks or Peets are my go-to's.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I like Tim Horton’s.  I always try to have it if I’m up that way as it’s not sold in very many supermarkets in New Jersey.  Only a few shops in this state. 

Another Fan,

How many shipping containers of the stuff do you want us to send you?  Bad enough there’s a Hortons on every corner in Ontario, every grocery store has bean and ground versions as well.  And it is not very good coffee.

Signed,

Southern Ontario

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Another Fan,

How many shipping containers of the stuff do you want us to send you?  Bad enough there’s a Hortons on every corner in Ontario, every grocery store has bean and ground versions as well.  And it is not very good coffee.

Signed,

Southern Ontario

I always found fresh brewed TH's coffee at the store to taste good; it had a unique flavor to it that I could easily identify in a blind taste test IMO.

But then they started selling their coffee in the can, and the stuff I made at home did not taste the same nor was it nearly as good.

Now I live where no one has any idea who Tim Horton was and the stores aren't around, so no big deal one way or the other.

Anyway, I still think a fresh brewed cup of coffee from the TH store is pretty good!

Used to get it with a "ham and cheese" biscuit as I recall.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I am of the proletarian class. I find McDonalds's coffee good enough to meet my lower standard needs. Anyone who condescendingly sneers at me is an elitist arsehole. :ph34r:

I'm not elite by any means, but you need to raise your standards one notch above caffeinated mop water.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Another Fan,

Signed,

Southern Ontario

So we'll trade you some Dunkin Donuts shops so we can meet in the middle 

I actually like the green mountain hazelnut K-cups the best of the k-cups I have tried. They seem to be good value. 

surprisingly, the Peruvian whole beans at Aldi’s Are good and super cheap. I use them for my French press and liked them better than the more expensive 8:00 beans I have used. They also have a nice chocolate note. 

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I always found fresh brewed TH's coffee at the store to taste good; it had a unique flavor to it that I could easily identify in a blind taste test IMO.

But then they started selling their coffee in the can, and the stuff I made at home did not taste the same nor was it nearly as good.

The Buffalo History Works had a web page devoted to the Deco restaurant chain that was founded in Buffalo, and billed itself as serving ‘Buffalo’s Best Cup of Coffee’ through the 70s.  An interesting aspect of the story was the chain’s executives traveling to NYC to select their blend of coffee, and upon returning to Buffalo, finding the taste to be ‘off’.  A second trip to NYC, this time with an adequate supply of Buffalo tap water resulted in selecting a blend that the chain served.

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My wife is a coffee snob.  She loves this stuff:

Amazon: Dora Estate Coffee, Peaberry, from Costa Rica

I'm not as picky, although I think Starbucks coffee tastes burns to me. I would say that Peet’s is good.

I am with you re Starbucks— very burned taste. I only will drink Americanos there. 

• Like (+1) 1