Bates as the swing OT

TPS

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I thought a ‘swing OT’ was the guy who steps aside to let the opposition get to the QB!

Did someone mention me?

USATSI_9764213-226x300.jpg

Edit:

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

No, Jordan Mills doesn’t play here anymore 

It was too obvious...

Edited by Ralonzo

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I doubt Teller would clear waivers.  Personally I am hoping Boettger makes it to the PS.

I don't see the TE situation with Kroft having any bearing on the number of WRs kept but there is so many questions that McDermott and Beane

need to answer.  Others have posted this and it seems logical.

2 -QB

4 - RB

6 - WR

9- OL

4 TE

Normally I would agree with you on TE/WR not being linked, but this year with the Kroft situation they might keep for a month a 7th WR who might have a little upside instead of a 4th TE who JAG.  

46 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My only question would be if they decide to move Ford to guard, that only leaves 3 tackles. 

All this trade talk in other threads, (which I've added to myself) wouldn't mind seeing a trade for a backup tackle then.

And would moving Ford to guard leave Spain on the outside?  Would your best five then be Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, Nsekhe with Long and Teller on the inside and Bates and the new guy outside as backups?

Which is why Bates is important.  Bates gives them a backup at both T spots, and even if Ford starts at G, they still have the ability to move him to RT if they had to. 

I think this grouping gives them a lot of versatility and the ability to meet most contingencies.  Nsekhe and Bates can backup at LT, and Bates and Ford can backup at RT.  

40 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I doubt Teller would clear waivers.  Personally I am hoping Boettger makes it to the PS.

I don't see the TE situation with Kroft having any bearing on the number of WRs kept but there is so many questions that McDermott and Beane

need to answer.  Others have posted this and it seems logical.

2 -QB

4 - RB

6 - WR

9- OL

4 TE

Been thinking about the roster decisions they have to make--they are going have some tough decisions, especially since it looks like they have some issues on ST.

At TE I think they start with Smith, Knox, and Sweeney, with Kroft on PUP.  I think that spot TE will go to an extra RB: Shady, Gore, Singletary, Dimarco, and one of TJ or Perry. 

Unfortunately, I think if they keep both Shady and Gore, it will cost them a very good young player....

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Normally I would agree with you on TE/WR not being linked, but this year with the Kroft situation they might keep for a month a 7th WR who might have a little upside instead of a 4th TE who JAG.  

Put Kroft on PUP which likely will happen, then still go with thee TE.  Really can't see a reason to go with 7 WR as most are arguing to keep 7 because you can't agree whom to choose from.  Not that they are all super talented at that level

It's the opposite as what is happening a DE, there you have a 5th guy who's really good, so want/need  to keep him on 53.  At WR, the choices aren't around potential greatness, the one unknown being Williams.

27 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

Been thinking about the roster decisions they have to make--they are going have some tough decisions, especially since it looks like they have some issues on ST.

At TE I think they start with Smith, Knox, and Sweeney, with Kroft on PUP.  I think that spot TE will go to an extra RB: Shady, Gore, Singletary, Dimarco, and one of TJ or Perry. 

Unfortunately, I think if they keep both Shady and Gore, it will cost them a very good young player....

Whether Kroft starts the season on PUP is unknown and what their plans are will probably answer our questions.

IF he is on schedule (3-4 months) 3 and a half months puts him to the start of the season.

He may not be ready to start playing then but teams that keep 4 TEs usually don't dress one of them.

The Shady Gore thing won't cost them a good young RB in my opinion.

They will keep the average of 4 RB/FB and the choice will be between DiMarco and Yeldon.

At least that's how I see it but I am often wrong.

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Whether Kroft starts the season on PUP is unknown and what their plans are will probably answer our questions.

IF he is on schedule (3-4 months) 3 and a half months puts him to the start of the season.

He may not be ready to start playing then but teams that keep 4 TEs usually don't dress one of them.

They will keep the average of 4 RB/FB and the choice will be between DiMarco and Yeldon.

Sorry, I didn't mean it would cost an RB; it could be any position.    We'll find out soon enough ...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TPS said:

As did I.  I think they were evaluating HIM more so than the WRs last night with Barkley, and he was excellent in Pass Pro.  

I think they also gave Boetger a chance to unseat Teller when they put him in when Spain went down. I think Teller has won the competition though.  

My 9:

OT: Dawkins, Nsekhe, Ford, Bates

C/G: Morse, Spain, Feliciano, Long, Teller.

Given Morse's situation, they have to keep 9.  I could see the starting 5 as: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe, which would make Bates the swing OT on game days. If Ford starts at RT, then Nsekhe is the swing on game days. At any rate, I think these 9 give them a lot of flexibility.

They kept nine OL last year going into the season so I expect them to do the same this year. Those of the guys I bet they keep. 

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I thought a ‘swing OT’ was the guy who steps aside to let the opposition get to the QB!

thats was Mills

edit

i see that the Swinging Fence Mills was already covered

perhaps a ducasse reference then ?

Edited by 3rdand12

23 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can't see them keeping Yeldon over DiMarco simply b/c of ST.  

Kroft lives near me and he was rolling around on one of those knee scooters until just before camp.  I'm not sure how to put this but . . . he didn't exactly look like an NFL player to me when I last saw him.  I think conditioning might be/might have been an issue with the foot, and the uneducated guess here is that he starts the year on PUP. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, TPS said:

Mentioned this in a couple threads, but it deserves its own. They had him at LT last night with the 2s and 3s, and he looked very good in pass pro. I think he is the 9th OL on the 53. Did a great job at C last week on the fly. 

Good trade by Beane as Harold wasn’t going  to make it. 

Yup, when Barks fumbled it was Bates who recovered the ball. He is a good get by BB.

Go Bills!!!

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The scouting reports say that he would be better at G than OT at this level. Not sure why some are showering him with praise when he's only played against backups.

I suspect people are merely making reference to his heads up play,  though some here seem to find a negative connotation with that, life’s a  dreary existence for some I guess...

Go Bills!!!

49 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The scouting reports say that he would be better at G than OT at this level. Not sure why some are showering him with praise when he's only played against backups.

Yes he's only played against backups but he's played well against backups and we're only looking for him to be a backup