Jump to content
TPS

Bates as the swing OT

Recommended Posts

Mentioned this in a couple threads, but it deserves its own. They had him at LT last night with the 2s and 3s, and he looked very good in pass pro. I think he is the 9th OL on the 53. Did a great job at C last week on the fly. 

 

Good trade by Beane as Harold wasn’t going  to make it. 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Bates last night closely. Great trade, he is versatile, athletic, and aggressive. Can play all positions on the line. But I think his best position might be at Center. Hope he makes this team, ideally PR for a year. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s going to make the team and contribute.  Solid find.  Not sure why the Eagles let a guy like that go given how hard it is to find quality line depth.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bates is a lock. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. 

 

Great move by Beane, as with our depth, Harold wasn't going to make the squad anyway. So to get something for a player that you were going to cut anyway? not too shabby.

 

Reminds me of when he somehow was able to snake a draft pick away from an NFL GM for Marshall freaking Newhouse. Absolutely robbed him blind.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wppete said:

I watched Bates last night closely. Great trade, he is versatile, athletic, and aggressive. Can play all positions on the line. But I think his best position might be at Center. Hope he makes this team, ideally PR for a year. 

As did I.  I think they were evaluating HIM more so than the WRs last night with Barkley, and he was excellent in Pass Pro.  

I think they also gave Boetger a chance to unseat Teller when they put him in when Spain went down. I think Teller has won the competition though.  

My 9:

OT: Dawkins, Nsekhe, Ford, Bates

C/G: Morse, Spain, Feliciano, Long, Teller.

 

Given Morse's situation, they have to keep 9.  I could see the starting 5 as: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe, which would make Bates the swing OT on game days. If Ford starts at RT, then Nsekhe is the swing on game days. At any rate, I think these 9 give them a lot of flexibility.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I thought a ‘swing OT’ was the guy who steps aside to let the opposition get to the QB!

No, Jordan Mills doesn’t play here anymore 

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.  This guy is a real find, particularly given that he was acquired for someone who wasn't going to sniff the roster.  Curious to see if they plug him in at G this Thursday.   Might allow them to keep only 8 OL in spite of the injury bug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For how short a time he has been with the team and how much they're asking him to do on the fly, Bates has looked OUTSTANDING. 

I don't just mean "lifetime bench player outstanding", either. Dude looks like he could be a starting offensive lineman in this league some day.

What we all originally wrote off as a throwaway trade may, in fact, turn out to be a real find by Beane and his staff.

I don't know too many NFL linemen that can play all five positions on the line. That is insanely impressive versatility, especially for a rookie UDFA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Logic said:

For how short a time he has been with the team and how much they're asking him to do on the fly, Bates has looked OUTSTANDING. 

I don't just mean "lifetime bench player outstanding", either. Dude looks like he could be a starting offensive lineman in this league some day.

What we all originally wrote off as a throwaway trade may, in fact, turn out to be a real find by Beane and his staff.

I don't know too many NFL linemen that can play all five positions on the line. That is insanely impressive versatility, especially for a rookie UDFA!

He has to be good cause he wears the rubber elbow covers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Agreed.  This guy is a real find, particularly given that he was acquired for someone who wasn't going to sniff the roster.  Curious to see if they plug him in at G this Thursday.   Might allow them to keep only 8 OL in spite of the injury bug. 

 

I'm in the camp thinking keeping only 8 would be a mistake, especially with the Morse situation.

I'd rather not dress an OL guy vs. a 7th WR or a 5th RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Bates is a decent backup, but why such lavish praise? He certainly hasn't earned it yet, nor has he earned a roster spot yet.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TPS said:

As did I.  I think they were evaluating HIM more so than the WRs last night with Barkley, and he was excellent in Pass Pro.  

I think they also gave Boetger a chance to unseat Teller when they put him in when Spain went down. I think Teller has won the competition though.  

My 9:

OT: Dawkins, Nsekhe, Ford, Bates

C/G: Morse, Spain, Feliciano, Long, Teller.

 

Given Morse's situation, they have to keep 9.  I could see the starting 5 as: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe, which would make Bates the swing OT on game days. If Ford starts at RT, then Nsekhe is the swing on game days. At any rate, I think these 9 give them a lot of flexibility.

 

My only question would be if they decide to move Ford to guard, that only leaves 3 tackles. 

 

All this trade talk in other threads, (which I've added to myself) wouldn't mind seeing a trade for a backup tackle then.

 

And would moving Ford to guard leave Spain on the outside?  Would your best five then be Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, Nsekhe with Long and Teller on the inside and Bates and the new guy outside as backups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I'm in the camp thinking keeping only 8 would be a mistake, especially with the Morse situation.

I'd rather not dress an OL guy vs. a 7th WR or a 5th RB.

 

I think you're probably right about that.  I'm wondering if the Spain injury isn't too bad if they don't try to sneak both Teller and Boettger to the PS and stash the ninth OL there.  I don't like keeping 7 WR, either, but I wonder if they might until Kroft is ready to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So which of these guys are lock and what cuts could still start in the NFL?

 

Dawkins.
Spain.
Morse.
Foster.
Nseche.

Bates.
Teller.

Long.

Feliciano.


Boettger.
Magnuson.
Bodine.
Rhaney.
Jones.
McDermott.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

 

I think you're probably right about that.  I'm wondering if the Spain injury isn't too bad if they don't try to sneak both Teller and Boettger to the PS and stash the ninth OL there.  I don't like keeping 7 WR, either, but I wonder if they might until Kroft is ready to play. 

 

I doubt Teller would clear waivers.  Personally I am hoping Boettger makes it to the PS.

I don't see the TE situation with Kroft having any bearing on the number of WRs kept but there is so many questions that McDermott and Beane

need to answer.  Others have posted this and it seems logical.

2 -QB

4 - RB

6 - WR

9- OL

4 TE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Maybe Bates is a decent backup, but why such lavish praise? He certainly hasn't earned it yet, nor has he earned a roster spot yet.

Yo Bodine,  are you allowed to post here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doc said:

Bates is a lock. 

I was concerned when we lost Waddle as the swing OT......but I like Bates even more because he is exactly what is needed.......plays all the OL positions and doesnt suck.  Pretty much the most you can ask for and young so can improve.

 

When Spain went down and Boetgner went in that sent a chill down my spine for a second.....but Ike wont make this team......we have had OL injuries all offseason and I STILL feel good about this OL

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I thought a ‘swing OT’ was the guy who steps aside to let the opposition get to the QB!

Did someone mention me?

USATSI_9764213-226x300.jpg

 

Edit:

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

No, Jordan Mills doesn’t play here anymore 

It was too obvious...

Edited by Ralonzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I doubt Teller would clear waivers.  Personally I am hoping Boettger makes it to the PS.

I don't see the TE situation with Kroft having any bearing on the number of WRs kept but there is so many questions that McDermott and Beane

need to answer.  Others have posted this and it seems logical.

2 -QB

4 - RB

6 - WR

9- OL

4 TE

 

 

Normally I would agree with you on TE/WR not being linked, but this year with the Kroft situation they might keep for a month a 7th WR who might have a little upside instead of a 4th TE who JAG.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

 

My only question would be if they decide to move Ford to guard, that only leaves 3 tackles. 

 

All this trade talk in other threads, (which I've added to myself) wouldn't mind seeing a trade for a backup tackle then.

 

And would moving Ford to guard leave Spain on the outside?  Would your best five then be Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, Nsekhe with Long and Teller on the inside and Bates and the new guy outside as backups?

Which is why Bates is important.  Bates gives them a backup at both T spots, and even if Ford starts at G, they still have the ability to move him to RT if they had to. 

 

I think this grouping gives them a lot of versatility and the ability to meet most contingencies.  Nsekhe and Bates can backup at LT, and Bates and Ford can backup at RT.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I doubt Teller would clear waivers.  Personally I am hoping Boettger makes it to the PS.

I don't see the TE situation with Kroft having any bearing on the number of WRs kept but there is so many questions that McDermott and Beane

need to answer.  Others have posted this and it seems logical.

2 -QB

4 - RB

6 - WR

9- OL

4 TE

 

Been thinking about the roster decisions they have to make--they are going have some tough decisions, especially since it looks like they have some issues on ST.

At TE I think they start with Smith, Knox, and Sweeney, with Kroft on PUP.  I think that spot TE will go to an extra RB: Shady, Gore, Singletary, Dimarco, and one of TJ or Perry. 

 

Unfortunately, I think if they keep both Shady and Gore, it will cost them a very good young player....

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...