Should we Trade Zay Jones?

wppete

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

IF we can trade him we absolutely should.  If not, which I expect, then cut him and keep Duke instead.

I didn’t know what to expect from Duke. Looks like a powerful dude. Wonder how he and Josh work together?

might have a shot at the roster over Foster for sure. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

The question has such a simple answer.

If Zay is one of the 6 best WR's on this team, (Or 7 if they keep 7) then no

If Zay is not one of the 6 best WR"s on this team, then yes.

The last thing I want is for McBeane to give into the sunk cost fallacy simply because Zay was a 2nd round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a testament to how bad our receivers were last year. There is a reason they brought in multiple free agents at the position.

Brown and Beasley are the only 2 receivers that have consistently been the starters. There is no question about their status on the team. Zay is getting subbed out for Roberts, Phillips, and the other 2nd string guys. He has not locked anything down at this point. Brown got nearly as many as snaps because he is always on the field with the starters and Zay is not. Zay is getting special teams and backup reps. I don't know how you can say he is a lock. My money would still be on him making the team but a trade wouldn't surprise me at all.

Read this blurb and tell me Zay doesn't know he is in trouble:

https://theathletic.com/1159248/2019/08/24/did-duke-williams-earn-a-roster-spot-whats-up-with-zay-jones-questions-abound-for-bills-receivers/

What is Zay's "new role?" Somewhere along the way he has fallen out of favor with this coaching staff. He'll still probably make the team but let's be honest, he isn't going to be a cornerstone at this point. And anyone that isn't a cornerstone has their roster spot in jeopardy moving forward.

I read the whole story, and ... dude, Zay doesn't know he's in trouble.

Does he need to continue to improve? Sure. But he has. And there aren't more than about 5 guys on this team who don't need to continue to improve. Zay more than many of them as he's still early in his career arc.

But there's simply no way to know at this point whether he's going to be a cornerstone. It depends on what he becomes ... and like most guys this early, we just don't know that. We're talking about a guy who has been here two years and who missed most of the offseason both of those two years. We don't know what Zay will be. Not being a cornerstone is surely the way to bet, but it could happen. As for "fallen out of favor with this coaching staff," that also is far from clear.

We should get a much better picture as the season progresses, assuming he's here, which seems by far the most likely alternative.

This quote from Buscaglia, on the Athletic says it best:

"The Bills need an answer on Jones following the season. They need to figure out if he’s going to be a part of their core offense or if they need to find a long-term replacement. They’ve liked everything Jones did in the offseason and how he’s improved as a route runner since entering the league. However, to think the Bills made that decision on Jones before the season even began is just a tad over the top. Like it or not, Jones will have a role on offense in 2019."

https://theathletic.com/1159291/2019/08/24/seven-observations-from-the-bills-win-over-the-lions-josh-allen-leaves-the-fan-base-hanging-dawson-knox-surprises/

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

If they were willing to move on from Watkins this seems like a no- brainer. Duke Williams is out there making plays. Foster did last year too.

When he was brought in , it was to be an immediate starter as I remember.

Three years in and he doesn’t look like a legitimate 3 receiver. 

Yeah, but moving on from Watkins happened for two reasons, neither of which is true now with Zay.

They were in major salary cap trouble and figured - correctly - that re-signing Watkins was going to cost huge money. Zay won't cost all that much unless he has a tremendous year this year. And the team isn't in the salary cap weeds anymore anyway.

And Watkins brought in a 2nd round pick, which Zay wouldn't. And at the time we were desperate for trade capital to draft a franchise QB. At this point we've got Allen.

The main reasons we traded Watkins aren't there anymore if we trade Zay.

Not that we won't, but trading Watkins had two huge upsides that aren't there with trading Zay.

• Like (+1) 1

Although last year he was doing okay I've never really took to him he is a smooth talker & to me & possibly me only that sends up a red flag . I'm not saying that he could contribute in some way but i think there are others that could give more to the team in that position .

Foster has a lot more speed & they are trying to break him into the ST's which Jones is too but Foster has shown more in his one season than Jones has in 2 so my vote is to let Jones go & keep Foster !! 

12 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Seems to me Foster is far more likely to be cut than Jones.

Unfortunately, this seems painfully too clear to me at this point. I don't claim to have any special insight on Foster's status with this coaching staff but his total lack of production this preseason makes me wonder how much the Alabama UDFA wants to be here. With the highlight reel Foster put together last year (along with the 20 yards per reception average which put him in elite company), he knows that if cut, he will be immediately scooped up by another team. So it's not like last year when being released and then placed on the practice squad were a wake-up call for him and his NFL future. This time around, Foster will have other options and he knows that. Sadly I think he's as good as gone.

31 minutes ago, Reader said:

The question has such a simple answer.

If Zay is one of the 6 best WR's on this team, (Or 7 if they keep 7) then no

If Zay is not one of the 6 best WR"s on this team, then yes.

The last thing I want is for McBeane to give into the sunk cost fallacy simply because Zay was a 2nd round pick.

Given all the Panthers we have here you have to believe McD likes his picked guys and Zay was a McD tenure early round pick  Speaking of which, someone please justify how DiMarco is on this team yet again

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But the counter argument to that is after he got cut by was it the Rams, no other teams jumped up and signed him then either.

Evaluate who guys are now you say.  Well Williams is a guy who couldn't make an NFL roster the last two years.

I do have to give Zay somewhat of a pass as the past two seasons QB play has been such a mess, easy to have mistakes and miscommunications

Personally I'd rather let see them cut Foster if we want to make room for both.

i think you missed the point  : )

4 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

This makes sense. Zay has certainly become the new "whipping boy" for Bills fans. I get that he's had a few gaffes, and a naked bloody escapade, but his production last season (considering the circumstances) probably won't be matched by Foster, Williams, or McKenzie.

why not ?

He just can't catch the ball cleanly.  Even on the diving sideline catch last night he misjudged the ball and caught it with his forearms and not his hands.  Route running and coverage recognition gets better with experience. I'm not sure catching the ball does.  That said he is cheap and there is little difference between him and then next 4 guys.  I don't care much one way or another.  I would keep Foster as my #3 as you can't coach speed.  I would cut DiMarco to make room for Roberts as a Special Teams player and still keep 5 WR - Brown, Beasley, Foster, Williams, McKenzie and Jones.  If they keep DiMarco and Roberts, then I only keep 4 more WR and at this point I would keep Williams over Jones.  

Jones would net a conditional 6th at best if that.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I read the whole story, and ... dude, Zay doesn't know he's in trouble.

Does he need to continue to improve? Sure. But he has. And there aren't more than about 5 guys on this team who don't need to continue to improve. Zay more than many of them as he's still early in his career arc.

But there's simply no way to know at this point whether he's going to be a cornerstone. It depends on what he becomes ... and like most guys this early, we just don't know that. We're talking about a guy who has been here two years and who missed most of the offseason both of those two years. We don't know what Zay will be. Not being a cornerstone is surely the way to bet, but it could happen. As for "fallen out of favor with this coaching staff," that also is far from clear.

We should get a much better picture as the season progresses, assuming he's here, which seems by far the most likely alternative.

This quote from Buscaglia, on the Athletic says it best:

"The Bills need an answer on Jones following the season. They need to figure out if he’s going to be a part of their core offense or if they need to find a long-term replacement. They’ve liked everything Jones did in the offseason and how he’s improved as a route runner since entering the league. However, to think the Bills made that decision on Jones before the season even began is just a tad over the top. Like it or not, Jones will have a role on offense in 2019."

https://theathletic.com/1159291/2019/08/24/seven-observations-from-the-bills-win-over-the-lions-josh-allen-leaves-the-fan-base-hanging-dawson-knox-surprises/

That's also just his opinion. I don't know if Zay will be on the 53 or not. These WR's are making it tough as far as coaches decisions on who to keep. Could I see them possible attempting to trade Zay? Yes, if they could get anything, but I'm not sure they could.

I can also see them possibly cutting him, and of course he could still make the 53. We don't know yet, but we will soon enough. However IMO I would rather have Duke make it before Zay all day long. But that's just me.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It has come about because of an accumulation of unimpressive performances. Not necessarily noticeably bad but also not noticeably good. When you are primarily a possession receiver and are not particularly elusive, and you are inconsistent in catching the ball then you will have placed yourself in a precarious position. I still believe that he will make the roster but have less belief that he will be an impacting player.  

always so succint my friend.
your response to Old times sarcasm is classic.

well done

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If I told you at the beginning of the offseason that Zay would be playing special teams and deep into the 3rd preseason game you wouldn't have thought that was a serious take. They are putting him on the spot lately.

This is the key to what OBD thinks of his skill set and abilities.
he is trying to survive by making teams.

nuff said

16 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I am very confused about what's going to happen with these receivers. It's hard to read into all of the pieces of evidence as they all seem to conflict with each other.

i think many of us feel that after Cole and Smokey there is a pot stirring.
what comes of it?

I have never been a Zay fan .His college Coach likely got him on the Bills.
But he has gotten so off. I wonder if he is being treated medicinally for issues.

When he alligatored the pass against Panthers and took the he hit because  of that , i realized he did not have "it".

he is not a football player

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

We should recall that Bean/McD traded for Kelvin Benjamin to make plays like Williams is making.  I wonder if the appeal to those two decision makers of the big body receiver still is hanging around.

of course ! good point

59 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

i think you missed the point  : )

why not ?

My point was You stated "Evaluate who guys are now" So I am and Williams is a guy who couldn't even get signed by an NFL team the past two seasons, which does translate to who he still may be.  And if you want to take it to the nth degree of who they are at this moment in time Williams is a guy who has caught two TD passes in the past two weeks likely against many other both teammates and opponents who won't even be on an NFL roster a week from now but sounds like your argument is none of that matters, sign everyone based on what they've done the past three weeks

And as to your why not question the answer is none of them could do it last season, but Zay could.  The others all had a chance to, but failed.

And if you want to use this argument that nothing in the past matters only what has happened over the past two weeks, then guess John Brown doesn't even make the roster as he only has 3 catches this year and definitely not Foster as he only has one catch and the leading TE is Keith Towbridge so guess he's on the team too then if all you want to go by is what they did now.  And BTW Zay's total yardage and yards per catch is better than Duke's too.

PS Look at what N Peterman has done this pre season.  He's lighting it up, guess you'd be happy trading him for Allan because that's all that matters to you.

Could it all change and Williams becomes the next Jerry Rice, sure but not likely based on past performance.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch