Should we Trade Zay Jones?

wppete

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Good luck, man. Good thing for you drops don’t hurt your fantasy stock, otherwise you’d be lost. 

...I couldn’t help myself. 

The only fantasy I see around here is your fantasy that Zay didnt drop passes :nana:

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He won't get cut over cap savings...if he is cut/traded its because they feel someone else deserves the shot more than him.  People keep bringing up his low pay while overlooking that guys competing for his spot are just as cheap.  His contract has 0% relevancy right now on whether he makes this roster.  The guy who suit up week 1 with notable contracts are literal locks for this roster, Brown and Cole.  Everyone else is cheap too...so Zay will only be on this team if the staff deems they WANT to keep him over one of the other guys.  

LMAO...its on film dude.  I laugh so hard at this unwavering insistent the FILM never happened when you can watch it right now.  No offense, but you denying in game footage of him dropping passes is about the most absurd thing I have ever seen on this board.  Its 100% indisputable...like literally 100%.  Keep trying though, respect to the commitment of utter blindness.  

That is a good point about contracts of the other WRs on the roster below Brown and Cole.   I had not fully considered that. 

Zay's analytics (catch rate, etc) all had significant imrovements from 2017 to 2018, which brought him from poor to average among NFL WRs in 2018.  The Bills know that they currently at least have a competent NFL receiver with a chance to improve to above average starter in his 3rd year.   If they move on from him, it has to be with the idea that another WR they might otherwise cut (Duke, Foster, McKenzie) will at least be able to match the average production with higher upside.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reks Ryan said:

That is a good point about contracts of the other WRs on the roster below Brown and Cole.   I had not fully considered that. 

Zay's analytics (catch rate, etc) all had significant imrovements from 2017 to 2018, which brought him from poor to average among NFL WRs in 2018.  The Bills know that they currently at least have a competent NFL receiver with a chance to improve to above average starter in his 3rd year.   If they move on from him, it has to be with the idea that another WR they might otherwise cut (Duke, Foster, McKenzie) will at least be able to match the average production with higher upside.   

Yup, and this was the basis of my February thread too.  

At this point, contracts will not factor into who they keep.  They are all cheap that are competing for a spot and it will be the guys they feel are best suited for the team.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

At this point, contracts will not factor into who they keep.  They are all cheap that are competing for a spot and it will be the guys they feel are best suited for the team.

Which lies in wait to be resurrected when/if he finds his way out of town on in the starting lineup.?

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'm a Zay supporter but not delusional about him. He is at best a non-descript possession receiver. Will he get cut? I don't believe so. The issue for Zay is what is his worth? Under his current contract he has value. But when his contract expires he is not the type of receiver you will heavily pay for or worry about losing. If Zay doesn't become more consistent as a receiver (too many drops) the organization's decision about him will be easily made.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..FIRST inclination I've seen about "trade Zay".....how or why did this come about??......…

It has come about because of an accumulation of unimpressive performances. Not necessarily noticeably bad but also not noticeably good. When you are primarily a possession receiver and are not particularly elusive, and you are inconsistent in catching the ball then you will have placed yourself in a precarious position. I still believe that he will make the roster but have less belief that he will be an impacting player.  

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, this happens every year. The get rid of zay takes are about as silly as the Wade should made the 53 takes. I mean, these are just not serious takes.

If I told you at the beginning of the offseason that Zay would be playing special teams and deep into the 3rd preseason game you wouldn't have thought that was a serious take. They are putting him on the spot lately.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If I told you at the beginning of the offseason that Zay would be playing special teams and deep into the 3rd preseason game you wouldn't have thought that was a serious take. They are putting him on the spot lately.

I think what is happening is they want to keep extra WRs, so they need zay and others to play gunner. I think they keep fewer dbs for that reason. Zay is better suited for it then brown, Beasley, mac, or duke. And since zay isn’t a number 1, he is a good choice.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, skibum said:

he has a rapport with Josh Allen.

He does? I couldnt disagree more. They are rarely on the same page.

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think what is happening is they want to keep extra WRs, so they need zay and others to play gunner. I think they keep fewer dbs for that reason. Zay is better suited for it then brown, Beasley, mac, or duke. And since zay isn’t a number 1, he is a good choice.

Okay but why is Zay still playing in the 3rd quarter with Barkley throwing him the ball? How many roster locks at receiver are still playing with backups in preseason? The only 3 locks right now are Brown, Beasley, and Roberts. I'm starting to feel like McKenzie is a lock too. Nothing else would surprise me.

If they were willing to move on from Watkins this seems like a no- brainer. Duke Williams is out there making plays. Foster did last year too.

When he was brought in , it was to be an immediate starter as I remember.

Three years in and he doesn’t look like a legitimate 3 receiver. 

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He does? I couldnt disagree more. They are rarely on the same page.

Okay but why is Zay still playing in the 3rd quarter with Barkley throwing him the ball? How many roster locks at receiver are still playing with backups in preseason? The only 3 locks right now are Brown, Beasley, and Roberts. I'm starting to feel like McKenzie is a lock too. Nothing else would surprise me.

To your first point, zay has more receptions from Allen than any other receiver. To your second, I just don’t find it that meaningful. If zay wasn’t the starting wr the entire year, I would read into it. But he has been, and remains, the first wr on the field at every turn. He also had like four more snaps than brown. It’s not a huge discrepancy. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..FIRST inclination I've seen about "trade Zay".....how or why did this come about??.........

Zay played late into 4th quarter hence the speculation and in some cases the enthusiasm for said trade.  Personally I don't see it nor him getting cut. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

To your first point, zay has more receptions from Allen than any other receiver.

This is a testament to how bad our receivers were last year. There is a reason they brought in multiple free agents at the position.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

To your second, I just don’t find it that meaningful. If zay wasn’t the starting wr the entire year, I would read into it. But he has been, and remains, the first wr on the field at every turn. He also had like four more snaps than brown. It’s not a huge discrepancy. 

Brown and Beasley are the only 2 receivers that have consistently been the starters. There is no question about their status on the team. Zay is getting subbed out for Roberts, Phillips, and the other 2nd string guys. He has not locked anything down at this point. Brown got nearly as many as snaps because he is always on the field with the starters and Zay is not. Zay is getting special teams and backup reps. I don't know how you can say he is a lock. My money would still be on him making the team but a trade wouldn't surprise me at all.

Read this blurb and tell me Zay doesn't know he is in trouble:

https://theathletic.com/1159248/2019/08/24/did-duke-williams-earn-a-roster-spot-whats-up-with-zay-jones-questions-abound-for-bills-receivers/

“I don’t know,” Jones said when asked what he makes of his role on special teams. “I don’t really know quite what to make of it. I’m just trying to do my role, whatever they tell me to do.”

“He’s a team-first guy and very unselfish in his approach,” McDermott said earlier this week. “He’s done everything we’ve asked and embraced his new role and playing special teams. We’re still defining roles at this point. I’ve been very appreciative of the way he’s handled it, and he continues to play tough football out there.”

What is Zay's "new role?" Somewhere along the way he has fallen out of favor with this coaching staff. He'll still probably make the team but let's be honest, he isn't going to be a cornerstone at this point. And anyone that isn't a cornerstone has their roster spot in jeopardy moving forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This is a testament to how bad our receivers were last year. There is a reason they brought in multiple free agents at the position.

Brown and Beasley are the only 2 receivers that have consistently been the starters. There is no question about their status on the team. Zay is getting subbed out for Roberts, Phillips, and the other 2nd string guys. He has not locked anything down at this point. Brown got nearly as many as snaps because he is always on the field with the starters and Zay is not. Zay is getting special teams and backup reps. I don't know how you can say he is a lock. My money would still be on him making the team but a trade wouldn't surprise me at all.

Read this blurb and tell me Zay doesn't know he is in trouble:

https://theathletic.com/1159248/2019/08/24/did-duke-williams-earn-a-roster-spot-whats-up-with-zay-jones-questions-abound-for-bills-receivers/

What is Zay's "new role?" Somewhere along the way he has fallen out of favor with this coaching staff. He'll still probably make the team but let's be honest, he isn't going to be a cornerstone at this point. And anyone that isn't a cornerstone has their roster spot in jeopardy moving forward.

#3 WR and ST...  more blocking? 

And I must have watched a different game last night than everyone else. I thought Zay played just fine. Duke is the only WR on the team that wins that block on a LB, he had a nice RAC after a crosser and deep catch. As the #3, and starting outside WR, I don’t get the hate and I’m not sure who people think is better. So 3 catches on 4 targets and the one miss, was that one catchable? 

Also the legend of Robert Foster seems that it may be coming to a close soon.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood