Should we Trade Zay Jones?

wppete

4 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Sorry, but I don't want another Stevie Johnson here... we have Brown and Beasley, so keeping Zay around makes absolutely no sense. Whatever... don't understand this defense of a guy who was supposed to be very reliable but is anything but.

Well, let's list the QBs he's had in his 2 years here: Tyrod Taylor, Nate Peterman, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley & rookie QB Josh Allen. Once again for production vs play value where you finding better value? His cap hit is 1.8 million this year and dead cap hit is 1.5 million.

Foster does not have a better chance than Z Jones of making this squad. Fans might like him because he caught a couple of cool deep balls from Josh, but I highly doubt that the coaches feel he is a better option than  Zay. I’ll even say that McKenzie and Duke have a better shot at making this team than Foster. 

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Well, let's list the QBs he's had in his 2 years here: Tyrod Taylor, Nate Peterman, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley & rookie QB Josh Allen. Once again for production vs play value where you finding better value? His cap hit is 1.8 million this year and dead cap hit is 1.5 million.

Not the best. But some of the blame still should go to Zay. Foster had a significantly higher catch rate, YPC and YPT than Zay last year playing with most of the same QB’s.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd try and trade Zay for a backup tackle or picks.  If as some suggest Zay has little trade value, (personally I disagree) then would keep him and consider releasing Foster to make room for McKenzie and Williams

Zay was one the same page as JA something like 54 times last year.

I also think many here are over valuing these WR at the bottom of the depth chart.  They all bring unique attributes to the team, but are also similar in overall abilities.  Are they really better than one of the top 5 or is it just "We can't lose this guy"

I mean, this happens every year. The get rid of zay takes are about as silly as the Wade should made the 53 takes. I mean, these are just not serious takes.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

People keep bringing up the QB's...so are you saying its the QB's fault he dropped so many passes right in his hands?  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People keep bringing up the QB's...so are you saying its the QB's fault he dropped so many passes right in his hands?  

Really doesn’t matter how many times you hear the stats (the objective evidence), you are still gonna die on this hill? I’ll say it again: your untrained eye test is not more reliable than the nfl record keepers, who say he had an average drop rate in his second year. Trust the pros man. You may like looking at old bones in a museum, but that doesn’t make you an archeologist. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No I'm not. What I'm saying is pay vs play where you finding what he did last year for what they are paying him? They save very little by getting rid of him in a year we have tons of cap space left. He's worth a roster spot. Also do other players not rack up really good stats vs bad teams? Last year no line, no QB, No running game, no #1 WR and hell throw in no hands, he still did above average.

He’s a perfectly capable #3 WR on a rookie contract, and he has a rapport with Josh Allen. There is nobody else below Beasley on the depth chart who has legitimately proven to be better than Zay. Why get rid of him now?

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

No I'm not. What I'm saying is pay vs play where you finding what he did last year for what they are paying him? They save very little by getting rid of him in a year we have tons of cap space left. He's worth a roster spot. Also do other players not rack up really good stats vs bad teams? Last year no line, no QB, No running game, no #1 WR and hell throw in no hands, he still did above average.

He won't get cut over cap savings...if he is cut/traded its because they feel someone else deserves the shot more than him.  People keep bringing up his low pay while overlooking that guys competing for his spot are just as cheap.  His contract has 0% relevancy right now on whether he makes this roster.  The guy who suit up week 1 with notable contracts are literal locks for this roster, Brown and Cole.  Everyone else is cheap too...so Zay will only be on this team if the staff deems they WANT to keep him over one of the other guys.  

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Really doesn’t matter how many times you hear the stats (the objective evidence), you are still gonna die on this hill? I’ll say it again: your untrained eye test is not more reliable than the nfl record keepers, who say he had an average drop rate in his second year. Trust the pros man. You may like looking at old bones in a museum, but that doesn’t make you an archeologist. 

LMAO...its on film dude.  I laugh so hard at this unwavering insistent the FILM never happened when you can watch it right now.  No offense, but you denying in game footage of him dropping passes is about the most absurd thing I have ever seen on this board.  Its 100% indisputable...like literally 100%.  Keep trying though, respect to the commitment of utter blindness.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He won't get cut over cap savings...if he is cut/traded its because they feel someone else deserves the shot more than him.  People keep bringing up his low pay while overlooking that guys competing for his spot are just as cheap.  His contract has 0% relevancy right now on whether he makes this roster.  The guy who suit up week 1 with notable contracts are literal locks for this roster, Brown and Cole.  Everyone else is cheap too...so Zay will only be on this team if the staff deems they WANT to keep him over one of the other guys.  

LMAO...its on film dude.  I laugh so hard at this unwavering insistent the FILM never happened when you can watch it right now.  No offense, but you denying in game footage of him dropping passes is about the most absurd thing I have ever seen on this board.  Its 100% indisputable...like literally 100%.  Keep trying though, respect to the commitment of utter blindness.  

I mean, you showing a handful of uncatchable balls does not make them drops. This is why narratives are so problematic. Sure, he sucked his rookie year. But, the stigma attached, so now when you see a ball go his way you have a mind association that you automatically think drop. It’s sort of like how dogs or small children are taught. It’s common in less advanced thought processes. You’re not able to disconnect and look at the play objectively. You just go for your gut reaction. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, VW82 said:

The problem with that is Zay, Foster, and McKenzie were the only NFL wrs on the roster in Feb. Imagine if we'd traded him (assuming Zay was even tradeable) and FA hadn't gone as planned? I still think Zay gets this season to sink or swim. Foster looks like the guy far more entrenched in the doghouse.   

Foster is so entrenched in the doghouse, I'm worried he might be cut.  Which would be a huge disappointment. 

As for Zay, to me he fits this year as the 3rd or 4th WR on the team..  You do have the history 3rd year WR improvement factor to consider.   And as other posters mentioned he is on very affordable for this season and next.  

The only realistic trade that makes sense to me, is for a starting caliber O-lineman.   Your not going to get a draft pick in the first 4 rounds, and I would prefer not to see them give him away for a late round pick our outright cut him.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, you showing a handful of uncatchable balls does not make them drops. This is why narratives are so problematic. Sure, he sucked his rookie year. But, the stigma attached, so now when you see a ball go his way you have a mind association that you automatically think drop. It’s sort of like how dogs or small children are taught. It’s common in less advanced thought processes. You’re not able to disconnect and look at the play objectively. You just go for your gut reaction. 

Sounds like someone needs to watch the video again..."uncatchable balls" LOL  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Hard to believe the scouting report on Zay was that he had elite hands, but now he's known for his drops.  Maybe he doesn't like the physicality of the NFL where you're going to get hit making catches he made without much contact in college. 

Zay would be an easy cut if the Bills had some depth at WR beyond Brown and Beasley.  

The trend for Buffalo is making poor offensive personnel decisions as they've drafted only 1 offensive skill position in the 2017 and 2018 drafts (Allen).  

Edited by BillsVet

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

What do you think, wanna post the link. We can time each of the drops, look at it more closely?

Already been done in other threads...I did that work, and posted it already.  Not gonna do it again...not trying to be a jerk about that, just I am about to leave for my fantasy draft.  If you want to your notes, sure go ahead and happy to read later.  Mine can be found on this board in the other thread.

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We'll see, but you're running out of time for that trade to happen.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Already been done in other threads...I did that work, and posted it already.  Not gonna do it again...not trying to be a jerk about that, just I am about to leave for my fantasy draft.  If you want to your notes, sure go ahead and happy to read later.  Mine can be found on this board in the other thread.

Good luck, man. Good thing for you drops don’t hurt your fantasy stock, otherwise you’d be lost. 

...I couldn’t help myself.