Should we Trade Zay Jones?

wppete

25 minutes ago, eee1776 said:

Yes-cut him. That holding call last night killed a nice run by McCoy. I believe 24 yards.

He looked like he was trying to block a small high school kid, stance was terrible, so he got demolished by the LB and held. Zays time is over, he had enough chances

3 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

That "holding" call consisted of Zay getting pancaked. Weak azz call

He held him the whole way down to take him with him going down

9 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

What do you need to see out of Zay? Obviously he's not a #1 WR in the NFL, but I could see him being a good #2 WR in the league. With no #1 WR on the team last year, a bunch of bad QB play from 4 different starters and no running game he had 56 Rec, 652 Yds & 7 TDs with a 1.5 million dollar cap hit. The 7 TDs was tied for 16th in the league last year. That's really, really good value for 1.5 million. He has 2 years left on his contract with cap hits of 1.8 & 2.15 respectfully, there's no good reason to get rid of him when he makes that little.

This makes sense. Zay has certainly become the new "whipping boy" for Bills fans. I get that he's had a few gaffes, and a naked bloody escapade, but his production last season (considering the circumstances) probably won't be matched by Foster, Williams, or McKenzie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brian3488 said:

He looked like he was trying to block a small high school kid, stance was terrible, so he got demolished by the LB and held. Zays time is over, he had enough chances

He held him the whole way down to take him with him going down

Meh, he was going down with him anyways IMO. It's a weak call in football. 

If only someone had suggested that possibility in February around here...

I bet if someone DID suggest that in February, then everyone would say "no way",  "that is crazy", "he had a great 2nd year", "thats just a LAMP post", "Your thread title is wrong" and people would suggest he will never live that suggestion down forever.  

Good thing no one suggested that...???

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I bet if someone DID suggest that in February, then everyone would say "no way",  "that is crazy", "he had a great 2nd year", "thats just a LAMP post", "Your thread title is wrong" and people would suggest he will never live that suggestion down forever.  

We both know that admitting that someone was wrong is a big no-no on the internet. It's okay, I'm sure you're kicking yourself for not posting something you wish you had ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The problem with that is Zay, Foster, and McKenzie were the only NFL wrs on the roster in Feb. Imagine if we'd traded him (assuming Zay was even tradeable) and FA hadn't gone as planned? I still think Zay gets this season to sink or swim. Foster looks like the guy far more entrenched in the doghouse.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He was tied for 16th in the league with 7 Tds, even with our pathetic line, running game, QBing and nothing even close to a #1 WR to draw coverage away from him.

There’s a reason that respected analysts don’t use TD’s to measure players. TD’s aren’t a great indicator of a WR’s actual contributions to the passing game.

So Zay caught 7 TD’s last year. If Beasley, Brown, or Duke was in the lineup instead, those TD’s are probably still there just spread out between different pass catchers.

Zay’s contributions to the passing game are slightly above replacement level, all things considered, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

Tbh IMO zay has good route running, stone hands. I think he catches 6/10 balls thrown his way, if not less. Did you guys see the play that should of been OPI on him? The ball was caught in his forearms, they had to rush the next play because they weren't sure he held onto it hitting the ground. If the guy cant get separation from 3rd stringers there's an issue. 

19 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

If Duke Williams doesn't make this roster -and- Zay does, I will be shocked.

Leading the Bills in TD catches last year is like the player on the USA Soccer Men's Team leading the team in scoring... so what? Our offense was pathetic last season.

One can say the same thing about pre-season stats...  

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

The problem with that is Zay, Foster, and McKenzie were the only NFL wrs on the roster in Feb. Imagine if we'd traded him (assuming Zay was even tradeable) and FA hadn't gone as planned? I still think Zay gets this season to sink or swim. Foster looks like the guy far more entrenched in the doghouse.   

I hear ya, but if you recall the post...I said I thought Zay would be traded in preseason, not then the offseason. I made that post before Free Agency and I predicted we would bring in 2 to 3 new WR's, and we brought in 3 with Duke, Brown, and Cole.  I said I thought he would get every shot at this team but would struggle to stand out against better competition.  And if he slipped down the depth chart he could be a guy Beane would try and get some value for before being in a reserve role for a season would kill all trade value.  

Everything I suggested in February has pretty much gone that way so far.  The only thing left, is will he be traded (or even cut, but I still doubt he would get outright cut).  Brown took the top spot, Cole took the slot spot, and Zay has failed to lock down a starting spot and has not risen to the occasion anywhere during preseason and even dropped a TD last week and a first down this week with the ones.  

He still clearly has a shot to be a part of this team, but I think its proven out that the concerns I voiced then are still the concerns now and that his roster spot is not a lock.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet it was by Foster last year over the same stretch of games.  Also, Foster had three 100 yard games in the last 7 games...Not only has Zay not matched that, he has never had a single 100 game in 31 career games.  

He had 3 TDs. Zay more than doubled that.

Foster certainly offers more big play ability than Jones, and has a higher target %. I personally am not opposed to moving on from Jones, nor would I be surprised. His extensive playing time last night may be an indicator that the staff is more willing to move on than we thought. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If you recall the post...I said I thought Zay would be traded in preseason, not then.  I made that post BEFORE Free Agency...I predicted we would bring in 2 to 3 new WR's, and we brought in 3 with Duke, Brown, and Cole.  I said I thought he would get every shot at this team but would struggle to stand out against better competition.  And if he slipped down the depth chart he could be a guy Beane would try and get some value for before being in a reserve role for a season would kill all trade value.  

Everything I suggested in February has happened exactly as I laid out.  The only thing left, is will he be traded (or even cut, but I still doubt he would get outright cut).  Brown took the top spot, Cole took the slot spot, and Zay has failed to lock down a starting spot and has not risen to the occasion anywhere during preseason and even dropped a TD last week and a first down this week with the ones.  

He still clearly has a shot to be a part of this team, but I think its proven out that the concerns I voiced then are still the concerns now and that his roster spot is not a lock.  

I begrudge you nothing.  It hasn’t happened yet, but your thoughts and comments from that time are spot on so far and do warrant a victory lap, to a degree.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

He had 3 TDs. Zay more than doubled that.

Foster certainly offers more big play ability than Jones, and has a higher target %. I personally am not opposed to moving on from Jones, nor would I be surprised. His extensive playing time last night may be an indicator that the staff is more willing to move on than we thought. 

Zay had 4 against MIAMI.  Pump the brakes.  

• Like (+1) 1