Should we Trade Zay Jones?

wppete

Zay Jones has not looked good as a Buffalo Bill. He hasn’t been impressive this offseason and we will have some tough decisions to make at WR this year. Do you guys think it’s a good idea to trade Zay and make room for the guys that are showing well in preseason?  This could be our WR this year If we trade Zay.

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Robert Foster

Duke Williams

Isaiah Mckenzie

Andre Roberts

• Like (+1) 4

If they think Duke Williams play translates to Regular Season Football, yes - or just cut him. 

It just seems like Zay is never on the same page with JA and maybe he just needs a fresh start.   

If Roberts is a lock.. Foster backs up Brown as the speed guy.  McKenzie backs up Beasley as the shifty guy and then Duke is the big, physical WR.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

I'd try and trade Zay for a backup tackle or picks.  If as some suggest Zay has little trade value, (personally I disagree) then would keep him and consider releasing Foster to make room for McKenzie and Williams

Zay was one the same page as JA something like 54 times last year.

I also think many here are over valuing these WR at the bottom of the depth chart.  They all bring unique attributes to the team, but are also similar in overall abilities.  Are they really better than one of the top 5 or is it just "We can't lose this guy"

• Like (+1) 3

I think Zay could be a much better player than what he’s shown here, and maybe he just doesn’t click with the coaches here and get it. He may shine on another roster, with that said nobody is going to trade anything of actual value for him. Your talking maybe some sort of conditional 6th or 7th or if we’re lucky some fringe player maybe looking on the outside of another teams 53. I expect he’ll be cut and signed up by someone like Tennessee or Baltimore or something 

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd try and trade Zay for a backup tackle or picks.  If as some suggest Zay has little trade value, (personally I disagree) then would keep him and consider releasing Foster to make room for McKenzie and Williams

Zay was one the same page as JA something like 54 times last year.

I also think many here are over valuing these WR at the bottom of the depth chart.  They all bring unique attributes to the team, but are also similar in overall abilities.  Are they really better than one of the top 5 or is it just "We can't lose this guy"

If Duke never off-the-fielded himself out of Auburn and was a 2nd Round Pick, and Zay was the guy we took a flyer on... would we think differently?

A guy like Darryl Johnson was a 7th Round Pick but he’s dominating other teams 2nd units and probably makes the team as the 4th DE.  

At some point you have to evaluate who guys are now, not where they were/weren’t drafted.  

I’d love to keep Zay and he plays well and everyone’s happy, but it just seems like we’re trying so hard to “make Zay happen”.    

It shouldn’t be this frustrating with mistakes, drops and miscommunications every game. 

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Duke never off-the-fielded himself out of Auburn and was a 2nd Round Pick, and Zay was the guy we took a flyer on... would we think differently?

A guy like Darryl Johnson was a 7th Round Pick but he’s dominating other teams 2nd units and probably makes the team as the 4th DE.  

At some point you have to evaluate who guys are now, not where they were/weren’t drafted.  

I’d love to keep Zay and he plays well and everyone’s happy, but it just seems like we’re trying so hard to “make Zay happen”.    It shouldn’t be this frustrating.  

What do you need to see out of Zay? Obviously he's not a #1 WR in the NFL, but I could see him being a good #2 WR in the league. With no #1 WR on the team last year, a bunch of bad QB play from 4 different starters and no running game he had 56 Rec, 652 Yds & 7 TDs with a 1.5 million dollar cap hit. The 7 TDs was tied for 16th in the league last year. That's really, really good value for 1.5 million. He has 2 years left on his contract with cap hits of 1.8 & 2.15 respectfully, there's no good reason to get rid of him when he makes that little.

I thought Zay has been fine this preseason.  He is a roster lock and will be much better as a #2 or #3 WR than a #1 WR. He gets open, he makes plays.  Sometimes he drops catchable balls but he has been much better. He also led the Bills in TD catches last year.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’d love to keep Zay and he plays well and everyone’s happy, but it just seems like we’re trying so hard to “make Zay happen”.    

It shouldn’t be this frustrating with mistakes, drops and miscommunications every game. 

But the counter argument to that is after he got cut by was it the Rams, no other teams jumped up and signed him then either.

Evaluate who guys are now you say.  Well Williams is a guy who couldn't make an NFL roster the last two years.

I do have to give Zay somewhat of a pass as the past two seasons QB play has been such a mess, easy to have mistakes and miscommunications

Personally I'd rather let see them cut Foster if we want to make room for both.

If Duke Williams doesn't make this roster -and- Zay does, I will be shocked.

Leading the Bills in TD catches last year is like the player on the USA Soccer Men's Team leading the team in scoring... so what? Our offense was pathetic last season.

Just now, matter2003 said:

I thought Zay has been fine this preseason.  He is a roster lock and will be much better as a #2 or #3 WR than a #1 WR. He gets open, he makes plays.  Sometimes he drops catchable balls but he has been much better. He also led the Bills in TD catches last year.

Exactly!! He's not great, but as a, most likely #3 WR, he will be much better than the average #3 WR. And he makes next to nothing the next 2 years.

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

If Duke Williams doesn't make this roster -and- Zay does, I will be shocked.

Leading the Bills in TD catches last year is like the player on the USA Soccer Men's Team leading the team in scoring... so what? Our offense was pathetic last season.

He was tied for 16th in the league with 7 Tds, even with our pathetic line, running game, QBing and nothing even close to a #1 WR to draw coverage away from him.

He would net little, if anything, in trade so he stays until the position is upgraded.  He’s certainly not in any long term plans, but this is not a strong or deep WR roster. 

He might have a role as Beasley’s back up or second slot WR.  I hate him on the outside.