UAlbany Area Restaurant Recommendations?

Hey all.  Taking my son to the Professional Lacrosse League (Chaos vs Atlas) game tonight at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium (UAbany).  

I’ve done the research online and know of some restaurants that are close by, but I was wondering if there might be some UAlbany alums or locals that know of any “must try” eateries near campus?  

I will be with my 9 year old son, so not looking for anything too fancy.  Any hidden gems?  

BTW...tickets are still on sale for $19.99.  Game time is 8:00 and 2 of the best teams are playing.  If you enjoy lacrosse at all, the PLL is really, really fun to watch.

https://www.premierlacrosseleague.com/tickets

There's one place there that is a gem that only the locals really know about. It's called Burger King. Try the tacos! Tell them an overweight guy on the internet sent you. They know me. You might get comped a soda refill. You're welcome.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

There's one place there that is a gem that only the locals really know about. It's called Burger King. Try the tacos! Tell them an overweight guy on the internet sent you. They know me. You might get comped a soda refill. You're welcome.

Thanks man ?

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I guess UAlbany area doesn’t have much in the way of good food...?

You'll find many better dining options if you drive about 150 miles south to the city.

That will take 3 hours or so though, and your son will be getting pretty hungry!

• Like (+1) 1

Chef Mike Niccoli’s menu walks the line between Mediterranean and Modern Italian, with an emphasis on freshness and wood-fired fare. Niccoli, an Albany native, is a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America with honors, Voted Chef of the Year by his local chapter of the American Culinary Federation in 2015, recipient of the Albany Business Review 40 Under 40 Award in 2010 and has been a Culinary Instructor at Schenectady County Community College for more than six years.

Johnny, see post above; dude is CIA grad; I'd be shocked if this is not a good restaurant.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

About 40 years ago there was a place near the U of Albany we called Chili Franks.  Looked like the guy ran it out of his house.  Great chili, but I think the only thing that kept us rom getting food poisoning was the chili killed any germs. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Chef Mike Niccoli’s menu walks the line between Mediterranean and Modern Italian, with an emphasis on freshness and wood-fired fare. Niccoli, an Albany native, is a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America with honors, Voted Chef of the Year by his local chapter of the American Culinary Federation in 2015, recipient of the Albany Business Review 40 Under 40 Award in 2010 and has been a Culinary Instructor at Schenectady County Community College for more than six years.

Johnny, see post above; dude is CIA grad; I'd be shocked if this is not a good restaurant.

Looks good.  I could murder a chicken parm and a Caesar salad.  About 4 miles from stadium.

I got lost driving through Albany once and found an amazing Italian grocery and deli near UA. Amazing sandwiches. I could never find it again.

Might have been Ragonese or Luigi's Deli.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 8/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hey all.  Taking my son to the Professional Lacrosse League (Chaos vs Atlas) game tonight at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium (UAbany).  

I’ve done the research online and know of some restaurants that are close by, but I was wondering if there might be some UAlbany alums or locals that know of any “must try” eateries near campus?  

I will be with my 9 year old son, so not looking for anything too fancy.  Any hidden gems?  

BTW...tickets are still on sale for $19.99.  Game time is 8:00 and 2 of the best teams are playing.  If you enjoy lacrosse at all, the PLL is really, really fun to watch.

https://www.premierlacrosseleague.com/tickets

I sent a quick shout from my phone; not sure if you got it.  The Hollow has incredible wings.  Where'd you end up going?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I sent a quick shout from my phone; not sure if you got it.  The Hollow has incredible wings.  Where'd you end up going?

Thanks for the recommendation, but we ended up running kind of short on time for food.  We ended up getting some decent burgers/wings at a place right across from the main campus entry called Across the Street Pub.

I will definitely try The Hollow some time though.  Haven’t had really good wings in a while.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but we ended up running kind of short on time for food.  We ended up getting some decent burgers/wings at a place right across from the main campus entry called Across the Street Pub.

I will definitely try The Hollow some time though.  Haven’t had really good wings in a while.

Next time you're in the area you have to let the 518 crew know in advance.  A lot of us are weekday warriors on this board.  Across the Street is a decent joint for burgers/wings/beer so you did ok.

The Hollow is downtown but you'd be going in that general direction anyway going back to VT.  Best wings in the capital district are in Troy, at a little place called Ale House.  Less out of your way next time you drive through.  Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Next time you're in the area you have to let the 518 crew know in advance.  A lot of us are weekday warriors on this board.  Across the Street is a decent joint for burgers/wings/beer so you did ok.

The Hollow is downtown but you'd be going in that general direction anyway going back to VT.  Best wings in the capital district are in Troy, at a little place called Ale House.  Less out of your way next time you drive through.  Cheers!

I will need to try Ale House (perhaps we can do a lunch soon) wings!!  The Hollow has an extra hot sauce that they don't put on the menu.  But they have it in case it's requested.  Lil' Gug and I went there before a concert a little while back.  The wings were spot on.  I dare say comparable to Bar Bill wings.  Excellent, unique flavor with just the right amount of heat .... maybe a tad too much, which is just the right amount!!