Gumbel and Green were horrible last night

Preseason games shouldn't be on TV. They are atrocious to watch. If one of the teams is your team then I can understand viewing the game. If your team is not playing then it is not worth the bother. Ugly football is unwatchable football. 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

they're useless during the regular season....with big screen HD picture and all the info on the screen....do we really need announcers telling us what we just saw? They all just speak in cliches anyway.....I would like to watch with just crowd noise.

Good announcers enhance the game on TV.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Preseason games shouldn't be on TV. They are atrocious to watch. If one of the teams is your team then I can understand viewing the game. If your team is not playing then it is not worth the bother. Ugly football is unwatchable football. 

On national TV is what I assume you meant. Us local fans are addicted gluttons for punishment.

They clearly mailed it in.  It’s almost like they realized that absolutely no one was watching this game outside of fans of the two teams. The only reason CBS was broadcasting this game is they are required to by contract.  If I was them, I would demand to be exempted from preseason duty in my next contract.  It received the attention it deserved.  

My problem was when they were analyzing the Josh Allen interception

Not that it was not a bonehead move...it was....but just lack of understanding of the player

You are talking about Josh Allen.....who has a special arm...even gets him in trouble at times....but one said "cant get the volicity on the ball to make that throw"

wrong.....there is no throw Josh cant make.....he could be falling backwards and launch that ball a long ways.....it should have been more like "I know Josh has one of the strongest arms in the league....you just cant make that throw into triple coverage"

Its nit picky.....but yeah

8 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

This was possibly the worst performance by a network broadcasting team of an NFL game that I have ever seen. Like many Bills fans I was watching the Bills/Lions game to see how individual players performed. But good luck doing so last night!

Lazy, unprepared Gumbel almost never mentioned the Bills defensive players who made the plays.  This became increasingly clear to me as I watched the tape of the game late last night.  So in the second half I started keeping track of how often he did this.  By late in the fourth quarter Gumbel, paid millions to be a play by play broadcaster, had stated the name of the Bills defensive players 3-4 times in the entire second half!, mainly for sacks or almost sacks--almost nothing else.

Without a current roster with me, and almost no replays of the defensive plays, I had no idea who was involved--on almost every play.

And Green was no better, almost never even commenting on the play after. Not on the player, not on the play call, just general BS from him.  Immensely unprepared.

The same lack of detail, lack of preparedness and professionalism, was apparent in all aspects of this very lazy broadcast.  They almost never looked beyond the VERY broad outcome of the play on either defense or offense, almost never getting close to the details of what actually happened on the plays.

This lack of preparation and competence was just as clear in their complete lack of knowledge of almost all that has happened in training camp on either team--almost zero on the individual players, their stories, and how things have progressed. Or how they may turn out.

I think Tasker and Catalano have been doing a pretty solid job on the preseason broadcasts, especially in the Panthers game. So I was shocked at how awful Gumbel and Green did last night.

This is their job, what they should be doing all week to prepare, but clearly Gumbel and Green did almost no prep work, and worse, seemed to care almost nothing about this important 3rd preseason game. They, and their producer/director, should all be held accountable.

Did others notice these same things from this dynamic duo?

they did not detail players for either team. preseason demands you call out players and player changes imho

yes it stood out

I almost started a thread on this last night because I felt exactly the way the OP does. 

Honestly, I think they actually stopped watching the game before halftime. They just blathered away about nothing as if they weren't even in the stadium. I usually hate away preseason game broadcasts cause you get the local broadcasters of the other team who don't care about your guys. But, hell, it was a lot better last week listening to the Carolina guys than it was these two national broadcasters last night. Just horrible.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

She did the Raiders-Packers preseason game this week.  I tried watching it because of knowing the Raiders a bit through Hard Knocks but I had to turn it off.  I was so confused by the way they had the field set up, it was really disconcerting.  Maybe it would have been too much to expect her to keep clarifying that the "end zone" started at the 10 yard line.

If I'd watched that game to the end I think vertigo would have set in.

Throw in Matt Millen and Rich Gannon as the analysts, it is horrible.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Good announcers enhance the game on TV.

On national TV is what I assume you meant. Us local fans are addicted gluttons for punishment.

I'm an ardent  fan of the Bills. Yet for me the preseason games are still garbage to watch. It doesn't matter how good or bad the announcers are the preseason games are still excruciatingly painful to watch. On the other hand I am revved up for the regular season to start. 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

True, shouldn't be on national TV because only the local fans care.  It shows you how desperate the networks are for summer programming and the NFL is for summer attention.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, 3rdand12 said:

they did not detail players for either team. preseason demands you call out players and player changes imho

yes it stood out

they barely can bother to do that in the regular season

the league requires a "national team" for regular season and playoffs games, and they waltz into the home city on Thursday and sent out an intern to ask the GMs what to look for

local radio broadcasts are the only ones who have a clue on what is happening with each team and what is changed on the field in players or formation

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

they barely can bother to do that in the regular season

the league requires a "national team" for regular season and playoffs games, and they waltz into the home city on Thursday and sent out an intern to ask the GMs what to look for

local radio broadcasts are the only ones who have a clue on what is happening with each team and what is changed on the field in players or formation

I actually prefer radio with TV sound off if i can get them to sync, or pretty close at least.

unfortunate that announcers ( TV ) do not understand what Football folks want to hear.

like i want to hear every sub. Or get a camera on the substitutions.
i do not need the random rambling opinions, i want details i tell ya DETAILS.

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

It's preseason. The announcers don't game-plan, and they just run a vanilla scheme from the booth.

well it was the cheap brand of ice cream.  That's for sure.