Gumbel and Green were horrible last night

This gives me a chance to go off on something I always complain about.

NOBODY follows all 32 teams.  Nobody.  But they all pretend they do.  During the regular season the weekly broadcasters spend a couple of days prepping on the teams they're about to cover but most media don't even do that.  The national guys -- the ones you catch on radio morning shows or ESPN or Fox1 -- all pretend they kn ow something but they don't.  They have a little knowledge of, say, the top six or eight teams, and maybe the local teams (like the Jets and Giants if they're based in New York) but for most of the league they repeat nonsense based on last year's record and the same stories/rumors everybody else passes around.  So if someone says once that Josh Allen is inaccurate, that's what everyone "knows" and keeps saying.  And the Patriots must be good because they're always good.  (I've seen nothing that actually analyzes the NE roster but a lot of predictions based on exactly that.)  Other than Ron Jaworski in the old days, I don't think anyone spends the time watching actual games of the people they're spouting about.

That being said, the OP was right here -- Gumbel and Green sounded like they did little or no research on either team and we're reading notes someone left on the table for them, like where each D finished last year.  Was Ed Oliver in the game last night?  Do the Bills even have TE's on their roster?  Couldn't tell from those guys.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Gum-ball has been terrible for nearly ten years now.  He always seems ill prepared for the games he is calling.  There must be someone out there who is ready to take the leap from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon.  

Yes.  I always wondered why he and Simms stopped working together.  But now it seems likely a football guy like Simms couldn't work with someone who seems to know and care so little. 

2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

maybe this is a good time to remind those with center channels on their tv audio, you can mute this and it silences the announcers while keeping the sounds of the game intact.  you might have to adjust the subwoofer lower to clear the muffled low tones as well.  it makes for a very enjoyable stadium-like viewing experience

I have never heard of this, but will see if this is possible on my tv.  A great idea, as during the year I can do that and listen to the Bills radio broadcasts when weak and careless broadcasters are doing on TV.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wasn't great, but to say it was the worst you have ever seen? That's a bit overkill.

No, it was not overkill.  THREE to FOUR mentions of who made the defensive plays in the entire second half when the Bills were on defense!  3-4! And almost zero mention of ANY preseason Bills information.  Those are abysmal statistics.

Standard Gumble....he always sounds like that.  Great voice though.

The best was the strip fumble/recovery on the last Lions drive.  The ball was on the ground and he's saying something like "he makes the catch, gets hit....."   It's like he's reading the play by play off a script for a radio audience in the '40s, two seconds behind live action.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

This gives me a chance to go off on something I always complain about.

NOBODY follows all 32 teams.  Nobody.  But they all pretend they do.  During the regular season the weekly broadcasters spend a couple of days prepping on the teams they're about to cover but most media don't even do that.  The national guys -- the ones you catch on radio morning shows or ESPN or Fox1 -- all pretend they kn ow something but they don't.  They have a little knowledge of, say, the top six or eight teams, and maybe the local teams (like the Jets and Giants if they're based in New York) but for most of the league they repeat nonsense based on last year's record and the same stories/rumors everybody else passes around.  So if someone says once that Josh Allen is inaccurate, that's what everyone "knows" and keeps saying.  And the Patriots must be good because they're always good.  (I've seen nothing that actually analyzes the NE roster but a lot of predictions based on exactly that.)  Other than Ron Jaworski in the old days, I don't think anyone spends the time watching actual games of the people they're spouting about.

That being said, the OP was right here -- Gumbel and Green sounded like they did little or no research on either team and we're reading notes someone left on the table for them, like where each D finished last year.  Was Ed Oliver in the game last night?  Do the Bills even have TE's on their roster?  Couldn't tell from those guys.

I get that but there was a time many years ago it seemed Gumbel was far better prepared for the non-A games of the week.  Maybe he has just lost it mentally.  Not everybody's mind is sharp far into old age.  I think that Gumbel is still on because for the most part he is smooth and his manner is well suited for football.  Contrast that with Jay Randolph who I mentioned previously.  Randolph was a golf guy asked to do footballl in my mind and it showed.  Reggie Rucker who I also mentioned simply lacked the depth to do a lot of analysis but I don't think that you could accuse him of not trying.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wasn't great, but to say it was the worst you have ever seen? That's a bit overkill.

It was bad, but it wasn't Beth Mowins bad.....

Then again, Mowins isn't unprepared, she just has a horrible voice..

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I get that but there was a time many years ago it seemed Gumbel was far better prepared for the non-A games of the week.  Maybe he has just lost it mentally.  Not everybody's mind is sharp far into old age.  I think that Gumbel is still on because for the most part he is smooth and his manner is well suited for football.  Contrast that with Jay Randolph who I mentioned previously.  Randolph was a golf guy asked to do footballl in my mind and it showed.  Reggie Rucker who I also mentioned simply lacked the depth to do a lot of analysis but I don't think that you could accuse him of not trying.  

Just checked, and surprised that Gumbel is 73!  But that is no excuse. Even if he has lost it a bit, he could easily have information in front of him to guide him.  And the things we are talking about in this thread don't require a lot of mental acumen.

I agree with those that say his voice sounds good, easy to listen to.  But it was clear had done almost no work, just sat down and (and extremely poorly) did the play by play in the broadest sense of that. But ditto for Green as well. And the director and producer as well.

They were annoying, in the sense that they announced the game like it wasn’t preseason.  

I get that it’s a product and the NFL markets preseason as more than just the garbage that it is, but I don’t really care about Trent Green’s in-game analysis about what we should do to win the game when we clearly didn’t care at all about that.   The nonstop vanilla running all half should’ve given it away.  

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

This was possibly the worst performance by a network broadcasting team of an NFL game that I have ever seen. Like many Bills fans I was watching the Bills/Lions game to see how individual players performed. But good luck doing so last night!

Lazy, unprepared Gumbel almost never mentioned the Bills defensive players who made the plays.  This became increasingly clear to me as I watched the tape of the game late last night.  So in the second half I started keeping track of how often he did this.  By late in the fourth quarter Gumbel, paid millions to be a play by play broadcaster, had stated the name of the Bills defensive players 3-4 times in the entire second half!, mainly for sacks or almost sacks--almost nothing else.

Without a current roster with me, and almost no replays of the defensive plays, I had no idea who was involved--on almost every play.

And Green was no better, almost never even commenting on the play after. Not on the player, not on the play call, just general BS from him.  Immensely unprepared.

The same lack of detail, lack of preparedness and professionalism, was apparent in all aspects of this very lazy broadcast.  They almost never looked beyond the VERY broad outcome of the play on either defense or offense, almost never getting close to the details of what actually happened on the plays.

This lack of preparation and competence was just as clear in their complete lack of knowledge of almost all that has happened in training camp on either team--almost zero on the individual players, their stories, and how things have progressed. Or how they may turn out.

I think Tasker and Catalano have been doing a pretty solid job on the preseason broadcasts, especially in the Panthers game. So I was shocked at how awful Gumbel and Green did last night.

This is their job, what they should be doing all week to prepare, but clearly Gumbel and Green did almost no prep work, and worse, seemed to care almost nothing about this important 3rd preseason game. They, and their producer/director, should all be held accountable.

Did others notice these same things from this dynamic duo?

They were pretty bad, especially how they called it like it was a regular season game.  It would not surprise me to find out that we’re instructed to do so.  Still it was pretty bad

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

This lack of preparation and competence was just as clear in their complete lack of knowledge of almost all that has happened in training camp on either team--almost zero on the individual players, their stories, and how things have progressed. Or how they may turn out.

Lol! So true. They called Duke Williams a “first year player out of Auburn”. Way to dig deep on that pre game research. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lol! So true. They called Duke Williams a “first year player out of Auburn”. Way to dig deep on that pre game research. 

Good point and example.  So they were not just silent when it came to the specifics of the game, they were inaccurate too. 

I caught the reference to Williams as well, a first year player.

What a shame Green was so unprepared and lazy. Williams was the best receiver in the CFL last year and is now trying to show that he could do great things in the NFL as well.  And last night was another step ahead for Williams.

What an interesting story and they were sitting right in the middle of it.  But neither man knew anything about him.  That is really bad preparation.

If Gumbel and Green had knowledge like that themselves, they  would they have been able to share it with the audience and engage them more.

More importantly, that kind of knowledge could have made both of them more interested and engaged in the game.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

It was bad, but it wasn't Beth Mowins bad.....

Then again, Mowins isn't unprepared, she just has a horrible voice..

She did the Raiders-Packers preseason game this week.  I tried watching it because of knowing the Raiders a bit through Hard Knocks but I had to turn it off.  I was so confused by the way they had the field set up, it was really disconcerting.  Maybe it would have been too much to expect her to keep clarifying that the "end zone" started at the 10 yard line.

If I'd watched that game to the end I think vertigo would have set in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I guess I'm in the minority, but while Green made some hilariously inaccurate comments, I thought he also made some strong points on nuance and detail. Gumbel is who we thought he was! Been around forever. He's meh. A familiar voice that doesn't bring much to the table.