Gumbel and Green were horrible last night

This was possibly the worst performance by a network broadcasting team of an NFL game that I have ever seen. Like many Bills fans I was watching the Bills/Lions game to see how individual players performed. But good luck doing so last night!

Lazy, unprepared Gumbel almost never mentioned the Bills defensive players who made the plays.  This became increasingly clear to me as I watched the tape of the game late last night.  So in the second half I started keeping track of how often he did this.  By late in the fourth quarter Gumbel, paid millions to be a play by play broadcaster, had stated the name of the Bills defensive players 3-4 times in the entire second half!, mainly for sacks or almost sacks--almost nothing else.

Without a current roster with me, and almost no replays of the defensive plays, I had no idea who was involved--on almost every play.

And Green was no better, almost never even commenting on the play after. Not on the player, not on the play call, just general BS from him.  Immensely unprepared.

The same lack of detail, lack of preparedness and professionalism, was apparent in all aspects of this very lazy broadcast.  They almost never looked beyond the VERY broad outcome of the play on either defense or offense, almost never getting close to the details of what actually happened on the plays.

This lack of preparation and competence was just as clear in their complete lack of knowledge of almost all that has happened in training camp on either team--almost zero on the individual players, their stories, and how things have progressed. Or how they may turn out.

I think Tasker and Catalano have been doing a pretty solid job on the preseason broadcasts, especially in the Panthers game. So I was shocked at how awful Gumbel and Green did last night.

This is their job, what they should be doing all week to prepare, but clearly Gumbel and Green did almost no prep work, and worse, seemed to care almost nothing about this important 3rd preseason game. They, and their producer/director, should all be held accountable.

Did others notice these same things from this dynamic duo?

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

maybe this is a good time to remind those with center channels on their tv audio, you can mute this and it silences the announcers while keeping the sounds of the game intact.  you might have to adjust the subwoofer lower to clear the muffled low tones as well.  it makes for a very enjoyable stadium-like viewing experience

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Late in the game Green said he expected McDermott to challenge a Defensive PI non-call... except the Bills were on defense! The Lions challenged. :lol:

39 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

My favorite was when TreDavious White went down, and Green said "the Bills have already lost Levi Wallace tonight." Never mind that Levi was not only on the field at the time, but right in the frame standing next to TreDavious.  

I saw that. Wallace ran over to Tre to see if he was alright.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

59 minutes ago, ganesh said:

It is the preseason and national NFL broadcasters don't care.  

they're useless during the regular season....with big screen HD picture and all the info on the screen....do we really need announcers telling us what we just saw? They all just speak in cliches anyway.....I would like to watch with just crowd noise.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wasn't great, but to say it was the worst you have ever seen? That's a bit overkill.

Agreed.  Most of these people here were not around for the mid-1980's when we were given the bottom of the barrel routinely in terms of broadcasters.  Jay Randolph and Reggie Rucker for example.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Agreed.  Most of these people here were not around for the mid-1980's when we were given the bottom of the barrel routinely in terms of broadcasters.  Jay Randolph and Reggie Rucker for example.

Dick Enberg and Dan Dierdorf were bottom of the barrel