Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 3

GunnerBill

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Hey rough outings happen...know who else had a really rough outing last night? Baker Mayfield...

10 of 26 for 72 yards...it happens, not every game is going to be your best one.

That stat line would actually worry me more than Josh's from last night. I think he threw a total of like 7 passes and 2 of them were bad (1 unforgivably bad). I didn't actually watch the Browns game so I don't know if Mayfield was responsible for that stat line, but if Allen looked uncomfortable over 26 total passing reps I would be much more concerned.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Speaking of backup DB's....I wonder if they just left Denzel Rice in the Detroit airport bathroom on the way back.  He was laughably bad.

I almost died laughing when the replay showed him bear hugging the WR all the way down the field. The punchline was that he looked shocked when the flag was thrown.

I think the point about Josh needing to be in a system right now is accurate.  

I dont feel at all comfortable with him under center all game in a run, run, PA pass type offense. 

I do feel comfortable with him out of the shotgun in a spread offense.  It would seem that’s what we’ve built, with a lot of Pats type personnel: Receiving RB’s, big TE’s and speedy/shifty WRs. 

I definitely don’t think last night was our offense, and we were just working on the run game, but it did highlight the worry that Allen isn’t the type of guy you want to handcuff by only having him throw in predictable throwing spots while running an under Center/power game.  

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Best performance of the night wasn’t on your list....Matt Barkley. He looks like a solid veteran out there. Calm, collected, in charge of the huddle and completely comfortable in his role. I can’t recall when the Bills had a backup anywhere close to his skill set. Super impressed!

Well some guy named Frank Reich comes to mind.....just saying.  I know, I know, I am old.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Shaq Lawson (and a bit of Darryl Johnson) - While the first and second units were in the game for both sides the most disruptive defensive lineman on the Bills was Shaq Lawson. One sack two other pressures and just generally in the backfield a bunch. I remain of the view that this guy should start over Jerry Hughes. He has clearly outplayed Trent Murphy in pre-season. I have no issue with them using Murphy as a situational pass rusher in obvious pass situations because he does have a wider range of pass rush techniques than Shaq. But as an overall, rounded defensive end to play early downs? It isn't even close. Shaq should start. While we are on defensive ends..... I had Darryl Johnson in my good week list for week 1 of pre-season. To me he has been close to a certainty for the roster from that point. I expect him to be used as a rotational and situational guy this year but the potential for him to develop into a starter down the road is clearly there. He has made this team.

Agree with all except Shaq didn't play particularly well, IMO.

He got a sack against the Lions reserve RT playing LT Donnal.....but prior to that he was pretty much stuck to blocks as usual.    The one good pass rush he had against Stafford he took very wide to beat the LT(something Shaq basically never succeeds at) but it was a quick throw to the other side of field and dropped......so it's 2nd and 10......next play they pretend to chip Shaq with a TE but instead leave him unblocked and he runs upfield and the RB trots thru his vacated position for an 11 yard gain.   It was like the OC had set Shaq up for that play with the play before by giving him the edge on a pass play where he couldn't impact the QB.   

IMO no plus grades for any of the DL.    The Lions blocked them up well.  Back 7 saved the DL.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

I think last night was the first night Allen didn’t have good field position.  I thought with the exception of one throw (which he was lucky there was a penalty called) he wasn’t bad.  He could’ve been better, but we’ve seen worse.  The game plan of running was a result of the field position.  It started from the special teams play, we couldn’t seem to flip the field and penalties killed them.

edmunds will end up being the best LB in that draft, his reads were spot on. He’s physically superior to any other linebacker in the league and the game is slowing down for him.

i think Johnson is the 4th DE, he had the brightest special team moment of the night too.  I think Mike Love will not make the practice squad, he’ll get picked up.

Duke Williams over Foster, if I’m keeping 6  WRs 

zay, Beasley, Brown, Williams, McKenzie and Roberts.

Good overview.  I thought Shady looked good but his age.  He's lost a half-step from two years ago, understandably.  JA struggled last night, made some mistakes that he knows he shouldn't make, and I'm glad he got that out of the way in preseason.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Generally agree.

I just don't see how Duke makes the team unless they keep 7 WRs or only 3 TEs (with Kroft on PUP).

STs are easily my biggest concern. They're awful in coverage.

Re Josh, you can tell that he's still not quite on the same page as some of his WRs. That seems especially evident on the boundary throws.

Easy.  Williams can handle the chores that somebody like Croom would be expected to do.  As far as I am concerned nobody should be handed a spot at TE other than Foxx and Sweeney.  Kroft can go PUP or season ending IR.  Croom should be gone and DiMarco should be gone due to lack of fit.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I don't think last night's game is as bad as people think. We were winning the game the whole time the starters for both teams were playing. I think there was definitely some sloppyness with fumbles and penalties for sure, but that 2 min drive was a thing of beauty. Also I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I love how the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string offense rushed to the line after a play that may seem questionable. This is a page out of the Patriots playbook and it's about time the bills do these things 

Thanks for saying this.  I totally agree.  We have to remember that these coaches have a plan to which they have stuck throughout preseason and the games.  They are all into evaluating their team and schemes, but also individual players.  We are so used to Bills coaches just trotting out there and playing and seeing what they have versus setting things up so that they can get a better evaluation.  That's what yesterday was.  Not the "dress rehearsal" we've seen from teams in the past, but rather experimenting with player combinations and schemes to better evaluate those players.  Didn't McD say all week when talking about the wide receiver battle they need to see what else they do...particularly blocking?  So yesterday was all about blocking for the running game.  I also think yesterday they were evaluating different players on special teams, hence, the Bills looked out of sorts in that area yesterday. 

When you think of it, they have 90 guys and only 53 roster spots...precious commodities.  In addition to having to strategically keep as many players in various positions for rotational or injury purposes, you also need to see what else players can do so that a roster spot isn't just given to a player who plays special teams only.  Last year, they scrounged for 53 players that could play...period.  This year, they have choices to make which will be extremely difficult, as we finally have quality and depth.  

As much as we found last night's game to be more difficult to watch than the previous two, the coaches were busy seeing and evaluating so that we field the best team possible.

• Like (+1) 1

You really think Shaq should be starting over Hughes and not opposite? Otherwise, I agree that he has looked good and I think he's been properly motivated in his contract year. Hope we can agree on a reasonable extension if he keeps this up.

Duke looks like an NFL player out there. Contested catches I don't think any other WR on the team can make plus excellent blocks. If he doesn't make our team, I think he makes another. But I hope he sticks here. Brown-Beasley-Jones-Williams-McKenzie-Foster-Roberts. Maybe we trade Jones or Foster, maybe we cut one after Kroft comes off PUP? Foster has not been getting work in or taking advantage of his chances whenever they were (I do believe he was the target on that terrible INT which is obviously not the chance you want out there). He flashed too much last year to be an easy PS stash again but that also means we could try to trade him (Cian Fahey be damned). 

Nice write-up.  Agree on Allen.  And here is the thing folks need to remember:  bad throws, bad stretches will happen.  It does for every QB.  Teams still can find ways to win games and that QBcan contribute to that even during an off day (2 minute drive before half). 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Robert Foster - Through three pre-season games Robert Foster has one catch for 14 yards. Last night there were no sightings of him on offense but he was out there as a gunner on special teams. That does not mean good things as the battle behind him for a receiver spots hots up. Could it be Foster or Zay Jones who ends up on the outside looking in?

Last night, Foster was in on 2 snaps.  

For me, I think this tends to lend itself more to that he is safer than people think.  I could be wrong, but my reasoning on this is that if his roster spot was truly in jeopardy, they would have surely given him more snaps for 2 key reasons.  Maybe just gave him less work to give others more snaps and also take it easy on his foot and not risk aggrivating it.

1. Evaluation - If he needed to win a spot, seems after his strong end last year they would have at least gotten him consistent snaps with the 2's at the very least as he seems to be a "gamer" last year when on the field in live action.
  2. Trade shopping value - After Fosters 7 game stretch last year after coming back to the roster, he would certainly have some trade value.  Getting him more reps out there to give some more opportunities to make some plays this preseason before shopping him would have made sense.  

So to me, I think his spot is safer than people think and its Zay whose role is really in jeopardy.  If Zay was locked in, they wouldn't risk him with the 2nd and 3rd units in the second half of the 3rd preseason game IMO.  

But hey, this is all just a guessing game to how the coaches may be thinking...just my 2 cents.

Edited by Alphadawg7

59 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Last night, Foster was in on 2 snaps.  

For me, I think this tends to lend itself more to that he is safer than people think.  I could be wrong, but my reasoning on this is that if his roster spot was truly in jeopardy, they would have surely given him more snaps for 2 key reasons.  Maybe just gave him less work to give others more snaps and also take it easy on his foot and not risk aggrivating it.

1. Evaluation - If he needed to win a spot, seems after his strong end last year they would have at least gotten him consistent snaps with the 2's at the very least as he seems to be a "gamer" last year when on the field in live action.
  2. Trade shopping value - After Fosters 7 game stretch last year after coming back to the roster, he would certainly have some trade value.  Getting him more reps out there to give some more opportunities to make some plays this preseason before shopping him would have made sense.  

So to me, I think his spot is safer than people think and its Zay whose role is really in jeopardy.  If Zay was locked in, they wouldn't risk him with the 2nd and 3rd units in the second half of the 3rd preseason game IMO.  

But hey, this is all just a guessing game to how the coaches may be thinking...just my 2 cents.

Zay could be too. But if they really were protecting Foster you do not send him out as a gunner. That is one of the most dangerous jobs on the field. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Zay could be too. But if they really were protecting Foster you do not send him out as a gunner. That is one of the most dangerous jobs on the field. 

Fair points, but I still think Foster would have gotten more snaps if he was battling.  

9 hours ago, Steptide said:

I don't think last night's game is as bad as people think. We were winning the game the whole time the starters for both teams were playing. I think there was definitely some sloppyness with fumbles and penalties for sure, but that 2 min drive was a thing of beauty. Also I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I love how the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string offense rushed to the line after a play that may seem questionable. This is a page out of the Patriots playbook and it's about time the bills do these things 

I agree. Also, as mentioned I think field position had a lot to do with how the offensive game plan developed. 

What was most important to me was to see that 2 min drive at the end of the half and it looked so good to see them move the ball like that. I'm not as worried about Allen as others seem to be. 

The only thing that really bothered me about the game was the way Stafford was able to move the ball in the air so easily 12/19 for 137 yards, 1 TD in a little over a quarter. 

Edited by Nihilarian

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In what might be the last instalment of this year's series (I don't normally do one after game 4) here once again is Gunner's "Good Night / Bad Night". Who helped and who hurt as the Bills squeaked past the Lions in a sloppy, ugly week 3 pre-season contest.

Good Night for...

Tremaine Edmunds - Let me start here because Edmunds was comfortably the best Bill on the field last night. I think through two pre-season games he has been solid, had taken a step forward in his fundamentals and his gap discipline which were the elements that let him down in 2018. But last night he did all that and majorly flashed. Every time a Lions playmaker emerged beyond the line of scrimmage carrying the ball either on a run play or in the short passing game it seemed that Edmunds was there in perfect position to deliver the hit and stop the play dead in its tracks. Super impressive. With Edmunds the ability to make the special play has never been in question. If he starts making what we in the UK might call the "meat and potatoes plays" as a matter of course then he is going to be one of the best in the business.  

Cody Ford - It has been an up and down summer for the Bills second round pick as he adjusts to life in the NFL. The Bills see him as a tackle and want him to play tackle and he has had some struggles against genuine speed rushers off the edge. But he held his own in pass protection last night and he showed to devastating effect on the Bills two minute drive to end the half the area where he really excels. He is a nasty, powerful, finisher as a run blocker as consecutive blocks sprung first Shady and then Singletary. Barring injury you can pencil Cody Ford in now as you week 1 right tackle.  

Duke Williams (and a bit of Isaiah McKenzie) - I have said before that I am a little suspicious as to exactly how much pre-season performances count for receivers under this regime. Williams made it two touchdowns in two weeks and this one was very much of the contested catch, use your body strength variety - although if the Lions first team defense was out there Barkley's floating pass is likely being picked off by the best player in the NFL that the media never talk about - Darius Slay. What was even more significant than the touchdown catch for Williams was the niche he seems to have cut out for himself as the Bills go to run blocking receiver. He was out there a lot with the first team offense early in the game when Daboll went run heavy and that to me gives him a real shot now at this roster. I have been pretty consistent in my view that just being a big guy was not going to be enough for Williams to make the 53 he needed to do something else - whether it was run blocking or playing on special teams. Now that he is there is a chance his value is high enough to stick as a 5th or 6th receiver. While on the subject the misdirection sweep play that McKenzie ran in for the first touchdown is the exact reason that he is also making this roster. Daboll wants that in his playbook.

Shaq Lawson (and a bit of Darryl Johnson) - While the first and second units were in the game for both sides the most disruptive defensive lineman on the Bills was Shaq Lawson. One sack two other pressures and just generally in the backfield a bunch. I remain of the view that this guy should start over Jerry Hughes. He has clearly outplayed Trent Murphy in pre-season. I have no issue with them using Murphy as a situational pass rusher in obvious pass situations because he does have a wider range of pass rush techniques than Shaq. But as an overall, rounded defensive end to play early downs? It isn't even close. Shaq should start. While we are on defensive ends..... I had Darryl Johnson in my good week list for week 1 of pre-season. To me he has been close to a certainty for the roster from that point. I expect him to be used as a rotational and situational guy this year but the potential for him to develop into a starter down the road is clearly there. He has made this team.

The OAP running backs - So the reports of Shady McCoy's demise were extremely premature. When there are holes he can still explode through them with the best of them. When you are being hit 3 yards into the backfield on every snap as he was last year you could have Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or whoever else you want back there and still be going nowhere. With blocking Shady can still play. And Frank Gore at 36 is such an obvious major upgrade on Mike Tolbert and Chris Ivory who have filled that role the last two years it just bears a mention. Combined age 67 and both going to the Hall of Fame one day. Bills fans should enjoy watching the 1-2 punch of these two guys together this year. Because they won't be around much longer.

Bad Night for...

Special Teams - Through two games there seemed to be an improvement in the Bills coverage units. Not so last night when they were beyond awful. Hauschka made his kicks so hopefully he is back to his best but the punting situation is dire. The punting game should not be the adventure that it is when Bojo is out there. His bare numbers last night look good but they don't tell the story. He isn't good enough. Next.

Victor Bolden Jnr - Bolden Junior was this year's OTA stand out who disappeared when the going got tough. He was very much in the last chance saloon last night and he fumbled a kick return for a turnover. While we are on the guys in the battle behind Roberts in the return game - McCloud had a nice return or two but he is facing a battle now to make the cut. I expect someone gives him a PS berth for 2019 but I suspect it is not the Buffalo Bills.

Robert Foster - Through three pre-season games Robert Foster has one catch for 14 yards. Last night there were no sightings of him on offense but he was out there as a gunner on special teams. That does not mean good things as the battle behind him for a receiver spots hots up. Could it be Foster or Zay Jones who ends up on the outside looking in?

Backup corners - Two weeks ago when EJ Gaines was still healthy and UDFA Cam Lewis from Buffalo was putting himself into contention as Taron Johnson's backup in the slot I felt really good about where our corner depth was. Lewis missed last night injured, Gaines has been waived injured and suddenly other than Kevin Johnson our depth there is a worry. Not convinced on Siran Neal as the backup slot corner. Captain Munnerlyn has been a solid NFL servant but he looks done to me. It is a concern.

Josh Allen - Before I get the "troll" and "hater" labels please remember that I have had Josh Allen on my good week list in both weeks 1 and 2. I did not think he was good last night. There were extenuating circumstances - I mentioned in in the gameday thread but I think even more than normal for Quarterback Josh Allen needs rhythm. I don't think he is a guy who can stand back there in an offense that goes run, run pass and be expected to make the pass on 3rd down when the whole stadium knows we are passing - at least not at this stage in his career. And I think while upgraded the oline and the receiver we have probably won't win consistently enough in those scenarios either. So if you want Josh to make those plays on 3rd down he has to feel like the ball is in his hands on early downs too. Get him started early on the either way downs and you set him up for success much better. I know the Bills were intentionally working the run game last night - and that is fine - but the consequence of that was a rough outing for Josh. I think the first third down throw to Zay while not totally uncatchable was not where it needed to be - Zay had actually done a nice job getting separation and there was room to drop that in there in stride. The throw to Beasley that was behind him was a bad miss and the INT that was called back for roughing the passer was a terrible decision and a bad throw to boot. Allen made a couple of nice plays in the 2 minute drive and I am not suggesting last night is any cause for panic among Bills fans - but this was a rough outing for the starting Quarterback.

Right okay.... let's try and avoid this turning into a name calling thread about Josh Allen please...… :mellow:

Def not going to knock your analysis of Josh Allen.....I would just say that I wouldnt have put on the list of good or bad this week at all.....because there was a little bit of both

We were running the ball....a lot...during his time in the game

I felt a better receiver catches the ball that Zay Jones had knocked away by Slay....a better receiver fights for that ball

Had a bad pass to cole...then he throws a perfect pass to cole that he fumbles

In the drive before halftime he had some very good play

Up and down

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In what might be the last instalment of this year's series (I don't normally do one after game 4) here once again is Gunner's "Good Night / Bad Night". Who helped and who hurt as the Bills squeaked past the Lions in a sloppy, ugly week 3 pre-season contest.

Good Night for...

Tremaine Edmunds - Let me start here because Edmunds was comfortably the best Bill on the field last night. I think through two pre-season games he has been solid, had taken a step forward in his fundamentals and his gap discipline which were the elements that let him down in 2018. But last night he did all that and majorly flashed. Every time a Lions playmaker emerged beyond the line of scrimmage carrying the ball either on a run play or in the short passing game it seemed that Edmunds was there in perfect position to deliver the hit and stop the play dead in its tracks. Super impressive. With Edmunds the ability to make the special play has never been in question. If he starts making what we in the UK might call the "meat and potatoes plays" as a matter of course then he is going to be one of the best in the business.  

Cody Ford - It has been an up and down summer for the Bills second round pick as he adjusts to life in the NFL. The Bills see him as a tackle and want him to play tackle and he has had some struggles against genuine speed rushers off the edge. But he held his own in pass protection last night and he showed to devastating effect on the Bills two minute drive to end the half the area where he really excels. He is a nasty, powerful, finisher as a run blocker as consecutive blocks sprung first Shady and then Singletary. Barring injury you can pencil Cody Ford in now as you week 1 right tackle.  

Duke Williams (and a bit of Isaiah McKenzie) - I have said before that I am a little suspicious as to exactly how much pre-season performances count for receivers under this regime. Williams made it two touchdowns in two weeks and this one was very much of the contested catch, use your body strength variety - although if the Lions first team defense was out there Barkley's floating pass is likely being picked off by the best player in the NFL that the media never talk about - Darius Slay. What was even more significant than the touchdown catch for Williams was the niche he seems to have cut out for himself as the Bills go to run blocking receiver. He was out there a lot with the first team offense early in the game when Daboll went run heavy and that to me gives him a real shot now at this roster. I have been pretty consistent in my view that just being a big guy was not going to be enough for Williams to make the 53 he needed to do something else - whether it was run blocking or playing on special teams. Now that he is there is a chance his value is high enough to stick as a 5th or 6th receiver. While on the subject the misdirection sweep play that McKenzie ran in for the first touchdown is the exact reason that he is also making this roster. Daboll wants that in his playbook.

The OAP running backs - So the reports of Shady McCoy's demise were extremely premature. When there are holes he can still explode through them with the best of them. When you are being hit 3 yards into the backfield on every snap as he was last year you could have Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or whoever else you want back there and still be going nowhere. With blocking Shady can still play. And Frank Gore at 36 is such an obvious major upgrade on Mike Tolbert and Chris Ivory who have filled that role the last two years it just bears a mention. Combined age 67 and both going to the Hall of Fame one day. Bills fans should enjoy watching the 1-2 punch of these two guys together this year. Because they won't be around much longer.

Bad Night for...

Special Teams - Through two games there seemed to be an improvement in the Bills coverage units. Not so last night when they were beyond awful. Hauschka made his kicks so hopefully he is back to his best but the punting situation is dire. The punting game should not be the adventure that it is when Bojo is out there. His bare numbers last night look good but they don't tell the story. He isn't good enough. Next.

Victor Bolden Jnr - Bolden Junior was this year's OTA stand out who disappeared when the going got tough. He was very much in the last chance saloon last night and he fumbled a kick return for a turnover. While we are on the guys in the battle behind Roberts in the return game - McCloud had a nice return or two but he is facing a battle now to make the cut. I expect someone gives him a PS berth for 2019 but I suspect it is not the Buffalo Bills.

Backup corners - Two weeks ago when EJ Gaines was still healthy and UDFA Cam Lewis from Buffalo was putting himself into contention as Taron Johnson's backup in the slot I felt really good about where our corner depth was. Lewis missed last night injured, Gaines has been waived injured and suddenly other than Kevin Johnson our depth there is a worry. Not convinced on Siran Neal as the backup slot corner. Captain Munnerlyn has been a solid NFL servant but he looks done to me. It is a concern.

Josh Allen - Before I get the "troll" and "hater" labels please remember that I have had Josh Allen on my good week list in both weeks 1 and 2. I did not think he was good last night. There were extenuating circumstances - I mentioned in in the gameday thread but I think even more than normal for Quarterback Josh Allen needs rhythm. I don't think he is a guy who can stand back there in an offense that goes run, run pass and be expected to make the pass on 3rd down when the whole stadium knows we are passing - at least not at this stage in his career. And I think while upgraded the oline and the receiver we have probably won't win consistently enough in those scenarios either. So if you want Josh to make those plays on 3rd down he has to feel like the ball is in his hands on early downs too. Get him started early on the either way downs and you set him up for success much better. I know the Bills were intentionally working the run game last night - and that is fine - but the consequence of that was a rough outing for Josh. I think the first third down throw to Zay while not totally uncatchable was not where it needed to be - Zay had actually done a nice job getting separation and there was room to drop that in there in stride. The throw to Beasley that was behind him was a bad miss and the INT that was called back for roughing the passer was a terrible decision and a bad throw to boot. Allen made a couple of nice plays in the 2 minute drive and I am not suggesting last night is any cause for panic among Bills fans - but this was a rough outing for the starting Quarterback.

Right okay.... let's try and avoid this turning into a name calling thread about Josh Allen please...… :mellow:

To even rate Josh Allen for last night is just foolish. 6 passes, yes one was complete stupidity, but as you said it almost always takes a few passes for Josh to find his groove, he was not afforded that chance last night. Unfortunately I think they took the whole let’s see the run game a little too far last night to help anybody....

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Def not going to knock your analysis of Josh Allen.....I would just say that I wouldnt have put on the list of good or bad this week at all.....because there was a little bit of both

We were running the ball....a lot...during his time in the game

I felt a better receiver catches the ball that Zay Jones had knocked away by Slay....a better receiver fights for that ball

Had a bad pass to cole...then he throws a perfect pass to cole that he fumbles

In the drive before halftime he had some very good play

Up and down

That was actually a great throw misplayed by Zay...