Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 3

GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No I see two as poor. The pass to Zay was not

I disagree. But I think we are disagreeing about one pass. I still think the overall performance it is fair to say he wasn't good. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Special teams coverage was not good last night, but also remember I doubt it is set at what it will be once the season starts. In a pre-season game, it is all back-ups and a lot of auditioning going on. Once the roster is set next week, then we'll see the real line-up.

As for punting, we don't have an NFL level punter--sign that guy from NE today!

Agree with you on Lawson, he is better than Murphy, and appears to be getting close to Hughes.

As for Ford, I still think he is better at guard. But I guess the wildcard here is Nsekhe--any word on why he did not play, is he still hurt?

Cleveland has an excellent #2 punter as well.

Another guy with a big night was OT Bates. He made the team last night. Thrown in at C last week, played LT with the 2s and 3s last night.  Pass pro was very good, and run was decent. They needed someone to step up for the swing tackle role, and Bates "mastered" it, so to speak.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Generally agree.

I just don't see how Duke makes the team unless they keep 7 WRs or only 3 TEs (with Kroft on PUP).

STs are easily my biggest concern. They're awful in coverage.

Re Josh, you can tell that he's still not quite on the same page as some of his WRs. That seems especially evident on the boundary throws.

If Duke Williams is a better blocker than Jason Croom then why would they keep Croom over him? Duke can play some specials and as Gunner alluded to, they have been using him almost like a tight end at times, lining him up in a tight slot position not far from the OT. I think if Kroft is on the PUP it opens the door for them to keep Duke as a sort of big receiver/TE hybrid. Croom has the "TE" label so it looks more normal on the depth chart to keep him but he can't really play in-line anyway. Duke may be the more useful player now and the player with more upside.

I also thought Jordan Phillips had a good night to cap a nice preseason for him, he looks better than last year. He's working hard to get that money in the offseason and we're going to benefit for it...

• Like (+1) 2

Agree with your takes.  Allen to me looked jump and totally out of rhythm but it’s hard to say what a full game would’ve looked like.  Remember, Allen tends to be a slow starter.

Zay may be getting shopped.  Seems to me they’re showcasing him and trying to hide Wade and perhaps Foster (though good luck sneaking him onto the PS after last season).  But Zay playing into the second half says to me they’re trying to move him.  I can see Duke making the team in that scenario.

Jaquon Johnson made a really nice play to force a fumble and he needed that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

If Duke Williams is a better blocker than Jason Croom then why would they keep Croom over him? Duke can play some specials and as Gunner alluded to, they have been using him almost like a tight end at times, lining him up in a tight slot position not far from the OT. I think if Kroft is on the PUP it opens the door for them to keep Duke as a sort of big receiver/TE hybrid. Croom has the "TE" label so it looks more normal on the depth chart to keep him but he can't really play in-line anyway. Duke may be the more useful player now and the player with more upside.

I also thought Jordan Phillips had a good night to cap a nice preseason for him, he looks better than last year. He's working hard to get that money in the offseason and we're going to benefit for it...

I agree I think Croom is the odd man out. I just hope that the fact that he's banging the owners daughter doesn't give him any additional benefit of the doubt over THE DUKE

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Hey rough outings happen...know who else had a really rough outing last night? Baker Mayfield...

10 of 26 for 72 yards...it happens, not every game is going to be your best one. The thing i liked most? Even with 2 turnovers inside their own 30, Allen leads them 95 yards in a 2.5 minute drill in about a minute to give us the lead going into halftime.

95 yards against 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Nice drive but it was against all reserves for Detroit 

• Like (+1) 1

It was an ugly game but ugly games happen.  I’m just happy that the Bills are “learning to win.”  I really think the Bills were focused on the run game last night so I am not as worried about the JA situation.  He has shown improvement overall and he remains a very inexperienced QB.  He continues to be nagged by footwork and inaccuracy.  It will be up to him and the coaching staff to overcome this.

I am puzzled by the lack of playing time for Foster.  Are the coaches just stashing him for the regular season or has he returned to the bad habits that led to him being cut last year?  Hard to say from the outside looking in. 

Allen will always be at his best playing hero ball. We are just going to have to learn deal with it when it blows up in our faces every now and then.

It's hard to imagine Foster not making the team after the way he finished the season last year but who knows. It is obvious that Duke Williams should make the team now. And McKenzie should as well. Assuming Roberts is definitely  a lock I don't see how we can keep 7 WR's and one of Foster or Zay has to be on the chopping block. Would think either could net a 5th round pick or so.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Meh. Agree on Edmunds and Ford. Disagree on Allen. Would have included singletary for his brilliant effort on the TD run.

I really REALLY like him but what in the world was brilliant about that run? nice little lunge for the EZ but other than that a pretty standard scamper.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001043841/Devin-Singletary-bounces-to-outside-for-first-TD-of-preseason

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I really REALLY like him but what in the world was brilliant about that run? nice little lunge for the EZ but other than that a pretty standard scamper.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001043841/Devin-Singletary-bounces-to-outside-for-first-TD-of-preseason

Might have been mistaking Singletary for Mckenzie who actually had a great cut after that end-around 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If I had to put my mortgage on it I'd go with Williams just missing out but I think he has given himself a shot.

THere is a good possibility that Foster loses out to Duke Williams.  Stranger things have happened after the pre-season.

53 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

95 yards against 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Nice drive but it was against all reserves for Detroit 

He's done that drive before against first stringers last year...thats kind of who he is...he makes things happen at some point no matter how poorly he has played up to that point...

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I don't think last night's game is as bad as people think. We were winning the game the whole time the starters for both teams were playing. I think there was definitely some sloppyness with fumbles and penalties for sure, but that 2 min drive was a thing of beauty. Also I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I love how the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string offense rushed to the line after a play that may seem questionable. This is a page out of the Patriots playbook and it's about time the bills do these things 

I think Lions fans should be more upset. Their starters dominated us but scored only 3 points. Our D got pushed around but didn't let them score.

12 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

I know this is Josh's team, but if they were in "win now" mode Barclay would get the nod at this point.  He is not elusive but is way more accurate.  Behind a top tier line he would be effective.  

Barkley looks great but it's preseason and he's mostly facing 2s and 3s. Just be happy we have a quality backup. Josh is the man.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think even more than normal for Quarterback Josh Allen needs rhythm.

I notice the same thing. His first couple passes of every game it's like he is calibrating his arm because he tends to be off with those. At the end of the half he was looking sharp on the short throws, albeit with a small sample size. It was a weird game for Allen, I can't read too much into it because the offensive game plan was so different from what it will actually be in September. I just need him to stop making that one awful decision. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five times... stop throwing that damn ball.

• Like (+1) 1