Mayfield looked terrible last night...

Big Turk

55 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Nah, it was a spectacularly stupid throw. The kind he was supposed to not do this year. That's all it is.

Yeah the only good thing about it is that it happened in a preseason game.  He should have been benched for making it.  It was pure stupidity in a close game.  I might get it if we were in a desperate attempt to come from behind near the end of a game but not in that situation at all.  Throw the ball away.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yeah the only good thing about it is that it happened in a preseason game.  He should have been benched for making it.  It was pure stupidity in a close game.  I might get it if we were in a desperate attempt to come from behind near the end of a game but not in that situation at all.  Throw the ball away.

Hopefully, he got it out of his system before the games count and his coaches will play it on a loop in film and beat it into him that he cannot have that throw in his arsenal anymore if he wants to win games. 

But, I don’t think players change and he has “hero ball” in him and will do that again at least once in the reg season. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

OK, but you have to admit that play was the ONE thing we didn’t want to see from Josh. In the heat of the game he needs to get that sort of stuff under control. If he can’t it’ll be his downfall. He’s so desperate to make plays that he lets his athleticism get the best of him. I’m guessing he’s always been the biggest, fastest kid on the playground. That’s not gonna get it done in the NFL. Think Josh....think!

Come on man, Brett Favre did the same stupid ***** his entire career. What did it get him? A Superbowl ring and a gold jacket from Canton. I want my QB to have the balls to throw stupid passes but make up for it by throwing TDs also. It's the gun slinger mentality, hell Rodgers does it too along with countless others.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 3

I think of all of the second-year quarterbacks Mayfield is going to have the biggest decline he way over achieved last year. To be honest I really don't like the guy either glad he's not a Buffalo Biill. 

Edited by ALLEN1QB

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

10 of 26 for 72 yards in a 13-12 loss to TB...

While i know he has looked better than Allen, let's not forget that QBs have bad games...

Allen didn't play great last night but he played better than Mayfield.

I guess last season never happened right?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did, and lots of people are talking about it (at least locally), and a lot of national people really don’t like Mayfield (he cannot thank himself for that) - but he looked bad plenty of times last year too, especially against decent teams, despite all of the offseason hype that has surrounded him. He’s still a second year QB but he’s 24, and has played a lot of football, and needs to be much better. That was not a good defense he was playing, and he had a ton of time. He was simply inaccurate.

I saw him play a few times last year.  On a few of the magic Mayfield drives, the passes to his receivers were not all that accurate, relatively speaking, and the receivers made good adjustments and came down with it.  As good as Brady is, how many times have we seen guys like Welker, Amendola o Edelman bend/twist/flip or lay out to make the play happen as well. 

I didnt watch last night, but my sense of first year magic qb's is always the same--a great career is rarely defined by one year. 

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

It is.  A decent percentage of them won't ever forgive him for his teenage tweets.  They'll never admit it, of course, but I am pretty confident that's the issue.

I don't think that is the issue with the media.  IF the media has an issue with Josh...I would think they said he wasn't not going to be a good NFL QB and they will continue to try to prove it for their own agenda.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Nah, it was a spectacularly stupid throw. The kind he was supposed to not do this year. That's all it is.

Meh. He is a hero ball player and that is what makes him so great. Got to take the good with the bad. You know who else was supposed to learn to not do that? HOFer Brett Favre. Heck he was still doing it at 40 years old with the Vikings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Meh. He is a hero ball player and that is what makes him so great. Got to take the good with the bad. You know who else was supposed to learn to not do that? HOFer Brett Favre. Heck he was still doing it at 40 years old with the Vikings.

So he's great? No he's still has a lot to prove and making good decisions is part of what he has to prove. I like him, want him to be the guy in the worst way, but we don't need another Fitz with brutal turnovers when the game is on the line. Throw that pass when it's 4th down, we're behind with a minute left and desperate, not on 2nd and 4 early in a game.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen had about 3 bad passes. He looked pretty bad in his few attempts but I don't take much from it. 

I'm not sure why they went away from the pass heavy play calling to the run run pass play calling. 

My guess would be to keep Allen healthy last night. 

16 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

So he's great? No he's still has a lot to prove and making good decisions is part of what he has to prove. I like him, want him to be the guy in the worst way, but we don't need another Fitz with brutal turnovers when the game is on the line. Throw that pass when it's 4th down, we're behind with a minute left and desperate, not on 2nd and 4 early in a game.

Never said he was great. Simply pointing out that history shows you can be great and still have a tendency to try make hero throws across your body. Brett Favre did that a number of times right up to his final days with the Vikings. As long as he is making more positive plays than negative plays and helping the team win consistently he will stick around as our franchise guy. 

Also pointing out that I don't think fans should simply expect him to suddenly stop making these throws. I fully expect to see him make them throughout his career.. As was mentioned earlier, they can turn into huge gains like the Ivoy and McCoy plays from last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Never said he was great. Simply pointing out that history shows you can be great and still have a tendency to try make hero throws across your body. Brett Favre did that a number of times right up to his final days with the Vikings. As long as he is making more positive plays than negative plays and helping the team win consistently he will stick around as our franchise guy. 

Also pointing out that I don't think fans should simply expect him to suddenly stop making these throws. I fully expect to see him make them throughout his career.. As was mentioned earlier, they can turn into huge gains like the Ivoy and McCoy plays from last year.

Theoretically I agree. But that throw was beyond the pale. Sorry. He's got to be smarter than that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

While i know he has looked better than Allen, let's not forget that QBs have bad games...

...not Mayfield's fault...he was distracted dissing Jones......he may have a bigger ME yap than RG 2 1/8.........turd....

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yes, or the really bad INT like he had against Tennessee last year...

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

You seem to be suggesting that because Mayfield had a poor game, Allen's poor game is validated.

This is a logical fallacy and meaningless as an argument.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Never follow Brett Farves career huh?

I have. Never follow Fitz's? Farve had a career 62% completion rate. Maybe before you start comparing Josh to Favre you should get some more evidence than less than a year in the league.  A gunslinger attitude goes both ways.