The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wait... did we keep 6 or 7 WRs?

Am I reading people saying we kept 7 and the 7th is Ray Ray?

If we did that, I think Beane made a stupid move.

Ray Ray sucks sucks.

No Ray Ray and Duke are both gone. 

At the moment Phillips, Sills and McKenzie all remain. It is still one from those 3 and the smart money is still McKenzie.

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

I'm a Williams fan, but I gotta trust the coaches on this one.  Right now I think there's about 75% chance he winds up on the practice squad.  If that's the case, remember that Smurfs get hurt.

I hope you're right. I just have a feeling someone is going to grab him based on his tape. This calculated risk by McB will come back to bite them. Ray Ray will continue to be mediocre like last year and Zays inconsistency will continue. If what others say is true about PS pay, they better sweeten the pot with Duke to 400k.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I have never really understood the obsession with keeping certain players strictly because of special teams. It makes no sense to cut a guy that has a skill set at WR that no one else has on the roster which he has shown in the preseason and can possibly make a difference on offense to keep a guy that's only on the field on kickoff and punt returns. Am I missing something?

Did you watch our special teams last year?  

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. And at their respective ages, I think McKenzie is likely to offer more. Just in general: a bit too heavy on the smurfs - Roberts, McKenzie, Brown, Beasley - so that’s why lots of fans saw Duke as filling a key role. 

The problem is that even if Duke WIlliams made the roster as the 6th or 7th WR, he mostly would not have dressed up on game day.  So a lot of stuff goes into deciding how to get that player from #6 to a #4...The PS is the best place for that.

14 hours ago, Foxx said:

the curse of the OP's predictions is ruling the day yet again.

All that’s left is his Allen will be an MVP candidate prediction. I really hope he’s right about that. Poor guy could use a victory for once.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Haha (+1) 1

The fact he couldnt get separation vs low level competition had to be his end.  Hes a big, strong, slightly too slow guy who could find a role by masking guys off and going up for catches, but that's not as valuable in todays game.  I feel like he could be a great red zone player, but he HAS to win physically, thats tough.

40 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The fact he couldnt get separation vs low level competition had to be his end.  Hes a big, strong, slightly too slow guy who could find a role by masking guys off and going up for catches, but that's not as valuable in todays game.  I feel like he could be a great red zone player, but he HAS to win physically, thats tough.

And couldn't your pass catching TEs like Knox and Kroft be that big bodied guy that can get the separation in the end zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

All that’s left isn’t his Allen will be an MVP candidate prediction. I really hope he’s right about that. Poor guy could use a victory for once.

I've had plenty over the years, assuming I'm the "poor guy" you're referring to.

From Tyrod making the Pro Bowl in his first year starting to the Bills making the playoffs in 2017 to the Bills beating the Chiefs in Arrowhead 2 weeks after Taylor was benched for his horrid play against the Saints to my CONSTANT stance from the very beginning of the 2017 preseason that Peterman just didn't belong in the NFL to Allen being the guy who should have been named the starter very quickly last offseason in order to get all the reps since McCarron and Peterman clearly sucked and weren't viable mentors...

Yeah... I'm all good, bro... pretty far from the "bet the opposite of what that guy says narrative" you and Foxxy like to push...

Thanks for your concern, though  :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Duke is a big, strong dude with great hands, and an enormous catch radius. I will say that he looked a little slow in preseason game #4, but I chalked that up to him being out there blocking for almost the entire game. He did not look slow in games one thru three. But the line that "he can't get separation" is bogus. He's a talented route runner that can reel in passes thrown into tight coverage, and it's his sheer strength that gives him that edge. The only other WR with a similar catch radius, IMO, is Brown. And, I don't believe we had another WR who could highpoint as well as he could. I don't think that is an attribute that should be ignored-- neither his ability to block. I believe we will regret not signing him. I hope he clears waivers, and makes the PS, but I doubt he will.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I still think McKenzie and Roberts are interchangeable 

They are not. Roberts can't do the stuff on the offense that McKenzie can. And it is stuff that Daboll wants to do. 

People would have saved themselves a lot of heartbreak if they had just listened to me in May. I told you all then who the 6 receivers would be and why. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Duke is a big, strong dude with great hands, and an enormous catch radius. I will say that he looked a little slow in preseason game #4, but I chalked that up to him being out there blocking for almost the entire game. He did not look slow in games one thru three. But the line that "he can't get separation" is bogus. He's a talented route runner that can reel in passes thrown into tight coverage, and it's his sheer strength that gives him that edge. The only other WR with a similar catch radius, IMO, is Brown. And, I don't believe we had another WR who could highpoint as well as he could. I don't think that is an attribute that should be ignored-- neither his ability to block. I believe we will regret not signing him. I hope he clears waivers, and makes the PS, but I doubt he will.

He is slow. He does have a big catch radius and I have to say he really impressed me with his willingness to block and his physicality in blocking. The point on the high pointing catches that I have made all summer is they are just not really the way Daboll has tried to build this offense. We started last season with sub par speed but size and catch radius (even leaving fat Kelvin out of it) and by the bye Daboll was banging on the table for his guys. The fact that the offense opened up when he got McKenzie and Foster was no coincidence. Brian Daboll wants to spread you out, make you defend the whole field and beat you with speed matchups. So while Duke can block and while he has value with his size in the redzone his game does not suit what the Bills want to do between the 20s. 

I think they would like to PS him. I do wonder if he gets a look elsewhere though because there are other offenses he fits better. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

From Tyrod making the Pro Bowl in his first year starting  

Alternate Alert!!!!

Remember that is not enough for you to win our Allen wager this year. 

15 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. And at their respective ages, I think McKenzie is likely to offer more. Just in general: a bit too heavy on the smurfs - Roberts, McKenzie, Brown, Beasley - so that’s why lots of fans saw Duke as filling a key role. 

Bills fans more than any other fan base I have come across are obsessed with the height of wide receivers. 

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

All that’s left isn’t his Allen will be an MVP candidate prediction. I really hope he’s right about that. Poor guy could use a victory for once.

no worries. when he loses his bet with me on Allen making the Pro Bowl, he will no longer be able to jinx the Bills for a year by making any prediction of any sort and then maybe we will be able to move ahead.

:w00t:

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 1