The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

On 8/24/2019 at 2:29 AM, Boca BIlls said:

Preseason... They shouldn't keep a guy b.c of preseason. If his practices went well he would have moved up the depth chart.

Are you saying his practice time didn't go well? I don't recall any reports suggesting that.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He had Tyree Jackson throwing to him for most of training camp and I'm not sure how much the media covers WR who block well in training camp.

He had opportunities during 1v1 reps where both Allen and Barkley were throwing to him as well. 

A WR’s main job is to get open and catch the ball. That’s what we were all hoping to see a lot more of. Having a few catches during preseason and being a capable blocker shouldn’t make you must have player on the 53. There are guys every year who show out during preseason and these same guys are looking for work come September. Williams is a fringe roster guy at best and certainly isn’t a must have.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He was invisible for pretty much all of training camp..

That's really a meaningless statement. In reality, he did what he was told, participated in all the drills he was given, and pretty much caught everything thrown in his direction. If he's not put in with the first team, there isn't going to be a lot of reporting on him. Lack of reporting does not equate with "invisible." If he was "invisible," he wouldn't have been given the opportunity he was just given in the last game-- and opportunity he capitalized on.

• Like (+1) 1

He brings a dimension that we currently don’t have.  He adds an additional route to our arsenal.  Of the WRs likely to make the team, Zay is the biggest (other than duke) and I don’t trust him to make Dukes last 2 TDs.  I say we keep 7

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

That's really a meaningless statement. In reality, he did what he was told, participated in all the drills he was given, and pretty much caught everything thrown in his direction. If he's not put in with the first team, there isn't going to be a lot of reporting on him. Lack of reporting does not equate with "invisible." If he was "invisible," he wouldn't have been given the opportunity he was just given in the last game-- and opportunity he capitalized on.

You don’t know what he was told to do. There are no participation trophies or attendance awards in the NFL. There are also people who go to training camp (me) and don’t have to rely on reports from others to have an opinion about what’s happening on the field.

I get it though, for whatever reason this guy was hyped to the moon during the off-season and now people are using a few  ordinary plays in preseason games to justify that hype. Maybe he ends up making the roster, it’s possible. I just think it’s silly to say we need to keep him.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

He brings a dimension that we currently don’t have.  He adds an additional route to our arsenal.  Of the WRs likely to make the team, Zay is the biggest (other than duke) and I don’t trust him to make Dukes last 2 TDs.  I say we keep 7

A preseason like this one makes me wish they would increase the active roster size by 2-3 more.  And don’t even get me started on game day inactives. Ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

Cover 1 has highlighted some of his blocking work on run plays, which some have mentioned up-thread.  This is a hidden value that should not be discounted.  Not standalone of course, but coupled with the red-zone weapon value, he might just make the team.  Coaches have some tough decisions to make for sure (good problem to have).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t know what he was told to do. There are no participation trophies or attendance awards in the NFL. There are also people who go to training camp (me) and don’t have to rely on reports from others to have an opinion about what’s happening on the field.

I get it though, for whatever reason this guy was hyped to the moon during the off-season and now people are using a few  ordinary plays in preseason games to justify that hype. Maybe he ends up making the roster, it’s possible. I just think it’s silly to say we need to keep him.

I do know that he was told to go out on the field more than any other wide receiver on the roster in game three. And while I certainly didn't go to any of the practices that fans were allowed to attend, I can say that Astro reported on Williams every time. (I believe Astro is a fan of D'haquille's, as well.) If it's silly to say we should keep him, it's sillier to say he was invisible.

Similar to when Justin Hunter, I like what Duke brings to the table, but does he have a well enough rounded game to succeed against other teams top starters?

I'd like to hold onto Duke, but also dont think I'd be crushed if we held onto someone else e.g. McKenzie 

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I do know that he was told to go out on the field more than any other wide receiver on the roster in game three.

This is is what you want to hang your hat on? Pretty weak.

And while I certainly didn't go to any of the practices that fans were allowed to attend, I can say that Astro reported on Williams every time. (I believe Astro is a fan of D'haquille's, as well.) If it's silly to say we should keep him, it's sillier to say he was invisible.

I was probably blindfolded for all those practices anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Cover 1 has highlighted some of his blocking work on run plays, which some have mentioned up-thread.  This is a hidden value that should not be discounted.  Not standalone of course, but coupled with the red-zone weapon value, he might just make the team.  Coaches have some tough decisions to make for sure (good problem to have).

That first block is even more impressive because he was being illegally hit back. Easy call of illegal hands to the face on the cornerback. 

Duke is looking like the receiver that Kelvin Benjamin was supposed to be for us - not great speed, but big, strong and wins contested catches.  Benjamin had checked out before he got here and didn't come close to meeting expectations, but still got all of the #1 snaps for the first half of the season.

You know the arrow is pointing up when the guy fighting for the #6 WR spot on the team is playing better than the #1 guy the same time last year.

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

A preseason like this one makes me wish they would increase the active roster size by 2-3 more.  And don’t even get me started on game day inactives. Ridiculous.

No doubt about it.  Ridiculous.  I wonder what  the real reason behind them not expanding roster is? The owners not wanting to spend the money on the salaries?  They yap about player safety and make changes to the game rules.....why would they not increase the rosters?

• Thank you (+1) 1

haha well my snarky take is The Bills can Always use another Williams on the roster ? My rational take is the guy has height advantage over other potential receiver candidates and has shown he can make plays in the endzone I think he has earned a roster spot..

• Like (+1) 1