The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The other thing that was interesting is how he was used in the run game. I have said consistently that I don't think Daboll sees a "big guy" who high points in the redzone as essential in his offense. It is a nice to have. What I think he will value more is a guy who can make blocks on the edge in the run game. And Williams was specifically brought in with the first unit to block. Very interesting. Think he needed two strings to his bow to make the team. Now he might just have them.  

I didn't notice he was in the game. How was his blocking?

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Preseason... They shouldn't keep a guy b.c of preseason. If his practices went well he would have moved up the depth chart.

Not necessarily. Coaches are as susceptible to cognitive bias as the rest of us. It's hard to put aside Duke's unimpressive pedigree and see his skill set and performance in an objective light. Jeremy Lin was overlooked at virtually every point in his career because he is Korean, and "everyone knows" Koreans can't play basketball. If Duke were a fifth-round draft pick--and all else was exactly the same--people would be raving about him, not wondering if he's on the bubble. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The other thing that was interesting is how he was used in the run game. I have said consistently that I don't think Daboll sees a "big guy" who high points in the redzone as essential in his offense. It is a nice to have. What I think he will value more is a guy who can make blocks on the edge in the run game. And Williams was specifically brought in with the first unit to block. Very interesting. Think he needed two strings to his bow to make the team. Now he might just have them.  

it seems that the game plan last night was to run the ball (Josh threw the ball, what, 6 times?). seeing Duke getting much time with the ones lends credence to this take.

• Like (+1) 2

Reporters seemed to tweet a few times about Duke blocking well in the run game.  

The guy was a big time recruit out of high school, who’s career got derailed because of his off the field issues. 

Hes always had ability.  

The Foster situation is perplexing after his success late last season.  Don't understand why he isn't getting time in preseason.  I do understand the need to have guys play special teams as well a position play though.  Is Foster faster than Brown?  Not as accomplished, but maybe faster.   Anyhow, tough cuts.  Who is practice squad elgible?  Foster for sure, but, he gets signed elsewhere in a heatbeat because of last year, so that won't work.  Ray Ray.....McKenzie maybe.  Maybe even Duke, don't know.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly think Foster is in trouble. He has hardly played on offense through three games and yet was out there on Special Teams. 

I tend to agree.   He may be one of these guys like last year constantly needs to be kicked in the rear to stay motivated and the Bills may just feel, we gave you one shot last year, you're back to where you were again, no thanks.  Good luck to you!

As was pointed out in another thread, actually may have been by you, when you factor out the normal roster makeup, leaves two wild card spots to add an extra player.  One I'm almost certain is going to DE, unless they decide to cut Love as no way they cut Johnson.  I'd think the second wild card would go to Perry for special teams play  To keep both Williams and McKenzie means cutting another WR.  Of all Foster may be the most likely.

Duke just catches passes, something another receiver we have has trouble with. If its my decision, he makes the team.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I tend to agree.   He may be one of these guys like last year constantly needs to be kicked in the rear to stay motivated and the Bills may just feel, we gave you one shot last year, you're back to where you were again, no thanks.  Good luck to you!

As was pointed out in another thread, actually may have been by you, when you factor out the normal roster makeup, leaves two wild card spots to add an extra player.  One I'm almost certain is going to DE, unless they decide to cut Love as no way they cut Johnson.  I'd think the second wild card would go to Perry for special teams play  To keep both Williams and McKenzie means cutting another WR.  Of all Foster may be the most likely.

I think Love will be cut - but he is in the mix for those wildcard spots  

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

...and I just don't think he clears wavers.

2 TDs and 6 catches in the last couple games.

Both TDs of him high pointing the ball.

And anyone notice he was getting some pretty significant #1 reps tonight?

I think after Brown and Beasley there's a lot of wiggle room. Zay simply shouldn't be guaranteed the roster spot that I think he is. Neither should Roberts for that matter... McKenzie has played himself onto the roster and can return. I still think Foster is close to a lock and the coaching staff is playing long game mind games with him.

So almost guaranteed we keep 6 WRs on the active roster.

Add a 7th to keep D'haquille???

I agree 100% !!! 

Duke reminds me a LITTLE of Eric Molds , 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, I think after last night, Williams may be on the roster.  He offers the size and physicality that are not apparent often in other Bills receivers. 

If it is a decent throw and near Williams, he will grab it.  He will also make the catch on most contested catches.

His production in the CFL is just more evidence that the Bills will use to decide that Williams is needed.

I wouldn't say the Bills "need" to keep Williams. Sure, having a WR that can high point and block is great, but is it worth it to keep him at the expense of a WR that may be a better fit for Daboll's offense, who may do more things well than Williams? Also, Knox and Sweeney (probably a lock) are rather athletic TEs that offer similar things to the offense that Williams does, and I think we'll see a lot more 2 TE sets this year, especially in the red zone. 

I guess it all boils down to how many players at each position are kept this year, and what effect that may have on the WR position. Guys like Foster, and Zay (to a lesser extent) may not be the locks that we thought they were a few weeks ago, although Daboll probably has a bit of a soft spot for Foster. I wouldn't hate the idea of cutting Foster in favor of Williams if only 6 WRs are kept, especially since Brown essentially provides what Foster does, and then some.

Its a good problem to have, and I don't envy the coaches.

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Preseason... They shouldn't keep a guy b.c of preseason. If his practices went well he would have moved up the depth chart.

He did move up the depth chart, guess you weren’t paying attention

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have not felt one way or the other about Duke as I thought he hadn’t proved much prior to preseason action, but I gotta agree he should make the team. He brings an attitude that is needed on our offense and he seems to find a way to just make plays. 

The wr I am actually most worried about is Foster, not sure what his deal has been 

3 hours ago, KRT88 said:

Will Duke Williams ever be on the game day roster?

who is he high pointing these TD catches against? Are these guys NFL roster players? 

Evety ty year I hear about this guy and that guy has to make the roster. Simply put, when can he make an impact on a real game?  Does the teams 6th WR really matter? 

I agree.  that is the problem.   Brown, Beasley, Jones, Roberts will be dressing up.  I just don't see Williams suiting up.  But then when we do have injuries to WRs he could step in

Why do people keep saying they will keep someone else “better suited for Dabolls offense”?  

I mean, if anyone was paying attention, Daboll called plays in back to back weeks specifically in the end zone and specifically for Duke and not only did he make the TD catch both times, there isn’t anyone else on the team who would be a better option to throw it to over Duke.  Sure seems to fit Dabolls offense just fine, and would appear Daboll would agree.

Another example...Zay in the first quarter should have had that first down catch who barely even looked for the ball on the back shoulder throw.  Duke catches that ball easily IMO.  These are all plays in dabolls system where a guy like Duke is an asset.

Bottom line:  All coaches systems have slants, curls, and fade routes...and all coaches systems need guys who can use their body to be in position and actually catch the ball.

Duke fits his system just fine.  I don’t know he will make the team or not, it’s a tight race with limited spots and several worthy players...but he’s certainly made a case for himself and would fit just fine if they chose him.

• Thank you (+1) 1