JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

38 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Not likely, been following the bills since 1963. As I said before Brett Favre had a 62% lifetime completion average. He was more accurate then Josh has shown so far. Maybe before you compare Favre and Josh you'll want to give Josh more than a year starting to base a judgment on. A gunslinger attitude could give you a Favre or can give you a Fitz. The jury is still out on Josh. I like to see him succeed but how about follow the rules before learning when to break them.

You bring up fitz but he was a gunslinger with average NFL arm strength

Josh has one of the strongest arms in NFL history and makes throws others couldn't dream

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JoeF said:

He still made the throw last night.  That throw was a "me" throw at that time of the game, not a team throw.  The only place for that throw is when you are down to your last play.  He has to learn that still, he hasn't ***** gotten it.  That's what the ***** is wrong with that play.  Its a total "me" bull#### play at that time of the game and he needs to be told that over and over again.

We have seen a lot of stupid football in the last 20 years and it really didn't matter because the Bills sucked.  Now the Bills have a chance to be good and plays like this may make a difference between a playoff team and an also ran. 

I agree he is a great kid...love him.  I believe in him.  He will clean this stuff up...but when he slips you have to be hard on him.  That's his path to greatness.

...certainly agree bud...don't they call it "tough love"?...I'm in............

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

At the time in the game day thread, people were saying "better to do it now in pre-season and have it be a learning experience."

I was thinking "That learning experience should have already happened years ago in college."

Yes, because no one ever learns when they get to the pros. They all learn everything they need to know in college and show up at the peak of their game.

• Like (+1) 1

The overreactions here are hilarious.  The regular season can't get here soon enough.

Yes.  The "hero ball" throw was an absolutely poor decision.  I wasn't happy with it, and I don't want it to become a habit.  But it was literally ONE THROW.  

The idea that veterans don't ever make that throw (you hear this quite a bit) is totally false.  Even Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers occasionally do things like that .  And we all recall Hall of Famer Brett Farve making regular decisions like that well into his 40's.  Now if it eventually becomes a Jay Cutler or Ryan Fitzpatrick type situation, then we can talk.  Until then, give the guy a break.

And outside of that ONE pass, Allen barely even threw the ball last night.  His 3 incompletions were all tough throws into tight coverage.  Oh well.  It was clear the offensive plan was to focus on the running game.  He wasn't even asked to pass, except to convert third downs.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yes, because no one ever learns when they get to the pros. They all learn everything they need to know in college and show up at the peak of their game.

How quickly ppl forget what Allen's college experience was actually like.....

No protection

No NFL talent

Hero ball all day every day every game

What was the tag on Josh coming into the NFL?

Huge upside

Talented but Raw

But ppl expect Tom Brady in year 2....folks that is NOT going to happen this year and that is ok....you are going to see a improved Josh Allen....you are going to see things he did not do last year....you are also going to see Josh have some bad habits from College like throwing a ball into coverage that he should not do.......

Its coming along

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

One thing I've learned about bills fans is that half of them or more are utterly risk averse. 

Add anxiety ridden to that description, and you’ve got it nailed. 

Go Bills!!!

11 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I like how when Josh has a bad night, you preface your remark with “ I was not a Josh Allen believer at first” as if your trying protect your couch potato cred.  

No I just don't want someone to come out of the woodworks and say, "YOUR ONLY SAYING THIS BECAUSE YOU HATE HIM", because I am not afraid to say, yes, I didn't like the pick at all.

I don't even think he had a bad night, just really one horrific play that I don't ever need to see again. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I see

So when Sam Darnold turns the ball over multiple times (which he does) then nobody should be fawning over him.....ever

Josh IS GOING to do this here and there.....and you know what....he does other things that are great.....a very good defense that backs him up.....

We are fine....calm down

Situational football. It was 2nd and 4, throw it away, they teach that in high school. Nobody even mentioned Sam Darnold so I have no idea where that came from. That was a Jamarcus Russell level bad play. Josh can't do that, period. 

I'm fine, maybe you should calm down. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

No I just don't want someone to come out of the woodworks and say, "YOUR ONLY SAYING THIS BECAUSE YOU HATE HIM", because I am not afraid to say, yes, I didn't like the pick at all.

I don't even think he had a bad night, just really one horrific play that I don't ever need to see again. 

And how did Allen respond after that one horrific play? Because that’s the true measure, imo; how a QB responds to adversity, which is what the game, especially the QB position, is all about. 

Yes, we don’t want to see Allen make unwise plays. 

But I want to see him respond like he did every single time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Not likely, been following the bills since 1963. As I said before Brett Favre had a 62% lifetime completion average. He was more accurate then Josh has shown so far. Maybe before you compare Favre and Josh you'll want to give Josh more than a year starting to base a judgment on. A gunslinger attitude could give you a Favre or can give you a Fitz. The jury is still out on Josh. I like to see him succeed but how about follow the rules before learning when to break them.

You're missing it.

You said that it's a rookie throw. It's not. Gunslinger QBs attempt that throw. Mahomes did it multiple times last year too, but as you've seen, QBs at the end of 2 decade careers do it too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This is so very true. I actually re-watched the game this morning because there was so much negativity on the board.  All in all, another decent performance, with plenty to be encouraged by.

Absolutely, 

Myself personally ATL, the confidence level for me is as high as Allens ceiling because there is nothing this kid can't do, theres not a throw that he can't make, including throwing up a hail Mary from his own 30 yard line. Throwing at one of the highest velocitys the league has ever seen.  It takes time, experience, making the mistake once or twice before you realize its not worth the risk. I'm confident because Josh Allen is a very intelligent QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You're missing it.

You said that it's a rookie throw. It's not. Gunslinger QBs attempt that throw. Mahomes did it multiple times last year too, but as you've seen, QBs at the end of 2 decade careers do it too.

And I am with you. You will never coach that out of Josh altogether. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Just put everything here:

Gameplan was to obviously run. He had a few attempts to throw the ball...

GOOD: 2 minute drive for a score

BAD: a few missed passes, scrambled in games he shouldn't

UGLY: the interception, which he owned, but still... terrible 

wasnt that bad, just out of sync, which is why they need the preseason. the interception was horrible but it was a great scramble and would have been awesome if it worked, next time there needs to be more BILLS jerseys in the area.

He led two TD drives in the first half, good enough for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

You must miss Fitzy then. Hey if you think that was a smart throw, and accurate throw and an acceptable risk, then we just view the game very differently.  I prefer to win for once. Josh should learn the rules first before knowing when to break them. 

They won last night

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transient said:

Right?! All this talk about the INT, but that mange infested dead muskrat on his face is the thing that worries me the most about his lack of judgment. Know your strengths Josh; buy a razor!

Maybe his girlfriend thinks it’s hot. You don’t know! ?

47 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Situational football. It was 2nd and 4, throw it away, they teach that in high school. Nobody even mentioned Sam Darnold so I have no idea where that came from. That was a Jamarcus Russell level bad play. Josh can't do that, period. 

I'm fine, maybe you should calm down. 

"Josh cant do this....ever"

And you say your fine and telling others to calm down?  Re evaluate Elite

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Rewatching on Tivo now

We were making a concerted effort to run the ball....hardly passing

Zay Zones doesnt get his head around.....he doesnt fight for the ball and lets Slay knock it away

The Beasely throw was bad

He throws a perfect laser to Beasely in the middle of the field that Beasely fumbles

He made some positive plays early. That scramble on the first series when we were backed up was what gave Zay the opportunity to forget to look for the ball. At first I thought Allen might have gone early but after watching it again I agree it's 100% on Zay.

Allen made two drive killing mistakes in his first four possessions. His teammates messed up on the other ones. Offense needs better starts if this team is going to be good. Actual game planning will obviously help. 

Edited by VW82

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

Oh man, I could NOT disagree more!  I mean, what's the point of preseason!?  NOW is the time for Josh to start growing a beard - a young QB, second season, third preseason game - let is rip now, I say.  It's going to take time for him to have a great beard, I just hope that McBeane are crew are getting him the beard oils and barbering that he needs to be successful.

I mean, look at it this way, do you think Fitz just woke up like that!?  Heck no, he's a Harvard guy, and while he doesn't have arm of Josh, he used his smarts to methodically grow his beard to epic, Grizzly Adams-like proportions.  It didn't happen in his season season! (probably)

I say let the kid give it a try.  Maybe it's a mistake and he'll get it out of his system in the preseason, but I'm willing to bet that by the time we're in the second half of the regular season, that beard is going to be looking pretty good...

Go Bills!

:beer:

Don’t be ridiculous. Just look at the boy, he looks like a video game addicted teenager that lives in his mom’s basement. It was a valiant attempt, but it’ll never be a part of his game. Learn from the past. How many times are you going to watch him get picked throwing the square out before you accept that he just doesn’t have strong enough facial hair follicles to pull it off?!?!