JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s a bit funny to see so many over reacting and over exaggerating the game for Josh last night.  

It wasn’t remotely close to as bad some say.  Zay blew a first down pass, Cole fumbled a straight dime first down strike by Allen, and he led us on an excellent two minute drive.  

This is so very true. I actually re-watched the game this morning because there was so much negativity on the board.  All in all, another decent performance, with plenty to be encouraged by.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This is so very true. I actually re-watched the game this morning because there was so much negativity on the board.  All in all, another decent performance, with plenty to be encouraged by.

Exactly.  Josh threw a pass to Zay who didnt even make a play on the ball barely that should have been caught for a first down.  Throws a strike to Cole for a first down who fumbled the ball away.  I mean he only threw the ball 6 times lol.  

He was fine outside the one bad INT play trying to extend a drive for once, and honestly probably felt he had to press as his WR's were letting him down to that point and OL too with penalties.  

His game wasn't that bad and led an excellent 2 min drive for a score.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Farve earned  that right, Allen hasn't shown enough smart passes to the warrant boneheads passes. That pass by any measure was stupid. Let him get a couple championships under his belt before he starts slinging rocks for fun.

So your position is that the pass shown is the first time Favre did that?

I'm guessing that you didn't grow up watching him 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Overreact much? 

you tell me, ?

1 hour ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

too long, too weak

d4466adbd893c4fe6adad127bea7818d.jpg

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IRONY - The same people who were screaming "Its only preseason, pump the brakes" every time Josh looked good...are also now saying "see I told you he sucks, look at the ONE PASS in a PRESEASON game".

LMAO

what do they call it? bbsd?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IRONY - The same people who were screaming "Its only preseason, pump the brakes" every time Josh looked good...are also now saying "see I told you he sucks, look at the ONE PASS in a PRESEASON game".

LMAO

this

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So your position is that the pass shown is the first time Favre did that?

I'm guessing that you didn't grow up watching him 

Not likely, been following the bills since 1963. As I said before Brett Favre had a 62% lifetime completion average. He was more accurate then Josh has shown so far. Maybe before you compare Favre and Josh you'll want to give Josh more than a year starting to base a judgment on. A gunslinger attitude could give you a Favre or can give you a Fitz. The jury is still out on Josh. I like to see him succeed but how about follow the rules before learning when to break them.

11 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

I was not a Josh Allen believer at first and gradually I started to believe. That throw was a nightmare. Never again. Throws like that and we aren't winning 9. I can't do 7 and below anymore. 

I see

So when Sam Darnold turns the ball over multiple times (which he does) then nobody should be fawning over him.....ever

Josh IS GOING to do this here and there.....and you know what....he does other things that are great.....a very good defense that backs him up.....

We are fine....calm down

• Thank you (+1) 2

Josh will get his ass handed to him about "the play" in team film review and in the QB room.  He owned it but "the play" will be drilled into him.  

However, its important to understand what was the right thing to do on that play.  It was not to throw across his body into the middle of the field and triple coverage but to throw the ball away to the sideline.  He would have gotten the roughing call without the interception.  Give up on the play....This is not in a competitors DNA but its also not an impossible fix. 

The Bills got the smartest QB in the 2018 draft...he learns quickly.  He has to understand that in this case giving up on a play leads to team wins and trying to make a play often contributes to a loss. Sometimes you have to rely on the team to win, not just your individual talent.

I hope Jordan Poyer or Micah Hyde or Jerry Hughes talks to him and says "plays like that make me think you don't trust the D to do its job"  -- this is a team game...

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

I'm reacting to not seeing a growth of better decision-making that we were promised and seemed to be happening throughout training camp and the preseason. Hopefully the coaches "over react" as well so he doesn't do it again in the regular season.

I love that you say he was showing growth throughout training camp and the preseason; however, you are reacting to not seeing any growth. Which is it?

Or did, as I suspect, one throw in his third preseason game erase everything and convince you he hasn't grown.

If so, then that is what you WANT to see.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Does anyone care that he made that same throw last year for big completions in 3 different games--2 of which were for 50+ yards?

Yes, it's a throw he needs to learn not to force, but it's also a club that he should keep in his bag.

I tried to explain this last night in the chat....and was immed told how the throw was different because those guys were wide open

He is going to make that throw fellas/and gals.....sometimes its gonna work...sometimes not

There is NO throw he cannot make...and he knows it....I agree witht he 2nd and 4 bit someone else brought up if this was a real game would not want to see him make that throw in that down and distance.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

that's the throw a wide eyed rookie makes...but not a 2nd year qb...

At the time in the game day thread, people were saying "better to do it now in pre-season and have it be a learning experience."

I was thinking "That learning experience should have already happened years ago in college."

or at a minimum, last year with Buffalo.

He does come across as an intelligent and funny kid, so there is hope for him.  

Maybe he will learn from it.

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Sure.  Do we even watch other games?

PertinentPreciousLemming-size_restricted

Has dealing with Brady for 18 years made us believe all QBs are flawless always?  

LOL.  The old "other people make mistakes too so Allen's mistakes are OK" attempt at validating poor play.

This is a logical fallacy and should not be repeated by anyone.

You know who never makes that throw?  Tom Brady.  He is almost robotic in how he will throw the ball away to kill a play that obviously blew up or was never going to work in the first place.  He understands to just kill it before it becomes anything worse, and then you try again on the next play.

Surprising a kid as seemingly bright as Allen doesn't understand  that yet.

Edited by Nextmanup

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd feel much more comfortable with that poor decision if it weren't for the first two third down attempts. It was not a good night and certainly discouraging. It's a preseason game in which he attempted a mere 6 passes. But he wasn't good. Doesn't mean he can't be guy; just means he's got a LONG ways to go.

The difference between the average and the great at this level is their ability to perform on a high level,  consistently.  

Hell, EJ and Tyrod looked like champions on some of their throws.  

A passer with Allen's credentials is likely to have a lot of games like last night.  He will be up and down within games and from game to game.  The question is to what degree and will the good play substantially outweigh the bad.

• Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you tell me, ?

d4466adbd893c4fe6adad127bea7818d.jpg

what do they call it? bbsd?

Stevie was my favorite player. Great pic. I was ENCOURAGED by what I saw against Carolina. I saw Allen do the things he's gonna need to do on a consistent basis in order to become a top QB in this league and I said as much. I was DISCOURAGED by what I saw last night. Same mistakes that plagued him as a rookie. Neither of these reactions indicate whether or not he'll ultimately succeed or fail. Not quite sure how you extrapolated that, but it seems based on your post that you took it rather seriously. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Josh will get his ass handed to him about "the play" in team film review and in the QB room.  He owned it but "the play" will be drilled into him.  

...so what is the issue?...he takes whatever criticism is handed to him and works his azz off to get better and not make the same mistakes..he is "WE" and hardly "ME"...sure as hell has the preferential attitude, humility, ethic and respect for the game that I want in a growing youngster....where am I wrong?....

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL.  The old "other people make mistakes too so Allen's mistakes are OK" attempt at validating poor play.

This is a logical fallacy and should not be repeated by anyone.

You know who never makes that throw?  Tom Brady.  He is almost robotic in how he will throw the ball away to kill a play that obviously blew up or was never going to work in the first place.  He understands to just kill it before it becomes anything worse, and then you try again on the next play.

Surprising a kid as seemingly bright as Allen doesn't understand  that yet.

Validating poor play? Perhaps you don't appreciate the difference between "validating" and "putting into perspective", which is what comparisons to other QBs poor play is meant to do. 

Or is Allen's poor play "worse" than anyone else's poor play? 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so what is the issue?...he takes whatever criticism is handed to him and works his azz off to get better and not make the same mistakes..he is "WE" and hardly "ME"...sure as hell has the preferential attitude, humility, ethic and respect for the game that I want in a growing youngster....where am I wrong?....

He still made the throw last night.  That throw was a "me" throw at that time of the game, not a team throw.  The only place for that throw is when you are down to your last play.  He has to learn that still, he hasn't ***** gotten it.  That's what the ***** is wrong with that play.  Its a total "me" bull#### play at that time of the game and he needs to be told that over and over again.

We have seen a lot of stupid football in the last 20 years and it really didn't matter because the Bills sucked.  Now the Bills have a chance to be good and plays like this may make a difference between a playoff team and an also ran. 

I agree he is a great kid...love him.  I believe in him.  He will clean this stuff up...but when he slips you have to be hard on him.  That's his path to greatness.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

As I read a lot of semi- doom and gloom about a half of preseason football ,  A game where run offense seemed to be the coaches game plan focus, I harken back to the golden days of Bills football.

The  Kelly and Marv SB era.

I remember Kelly being an interception machine in ‘86. I remember him throwing a crappy Int in his first AFC Championship game deep in his own territory. Why? Because he was young, cocky and believed in his arm. 

I also remember that whole team dropping absolute Suckfest performances for 50+ minutes of a game and ekeing out last second victories or losing games they should have won. These were during the SB years.

They also were notorious for sucking in the pre season.

As a famous movie quote goes: “ Lighten up Francis!”

It’s a young offense with a bunch of new parts and a QB who isn’t near to being a finished product.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

Once the regular games begin,  Allen will start scrambling again, and for big gains.  That’s who he is.  He won’t just stop.  I do believe he will be a better passer this year as well.   Looking for a solid season from big Josh.  

Completely agree with this. He's not running and that takes away a huge part of his game. I would have liked to see him build on the Carolina performance in terms of correcting his weaknesses. That did not happen. At all. But there's no doubt he'll be more effective in games that matter.

4 hours ago, VW82 said:

Everyone seems overly focused on the INT which was brutal but it was his overall start to the game that makes me nervous. He wasn't great to start game one and even though his stats were solid in game two he was off target on some easy throws (Beasley/Shady) out of the gate.

This is the same trend from last year. Lots of times Allen is able to overcome it and find his rhythm later in the game but the frequent shaky starts are worrisome and probably a bigger sign that something isn’t quite right than Josh making the occasional horrible throw across his body into triple coverage.

Rewatching on Tivo now

We were making a concerted effort to run the ball....hardly passing

Zay Zones doesnt get his head around.....he doesnt fight for the ball and lets Slay knock it away

The Beasely throw was bad

He throws a perfect laser to Beasely in the middle of the field that Beasely fumbles